Mulching with The Bottomless Bucket

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We use a product called Buildex. It's mined and in the heating process expands and become like the material you see on the RR tracks. Comes available in various sizes, smallest is used for road chip and seal around here. We get it in 1/2" - 1 1/2" sizes bulk, or at least use to.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
100% agree. Used crushed granite on our last landscaping project and plan on using the same for our current when I get around to it. Wife picks out the colors, and now I can use my expensive wheelbarrow to move it around. Last project I did with crushed granite was 7 yards and I had to move it by hand with a shovel and wheelbarrow 😭
I feel ya. Mine was done pre-K (before my Kubota) with a shovel and a trailer.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East
Well it's that time of year and we're laying down yards and yards of mulch. We used to use the trusty wheel barrow before we got our BX 1880 and last year we used the bucket to move the mulch, but here's the challenge with using that small tractor bucket. The first is that it's hard to get a full bucket of mulch every time you dig into your pile of mulch, so I scoop what I can and found myself shoveling the rest to fill the bucket. The second problem was that the capacity of the bucket was about as much as a wheel barrow could handle so it meant lots of trips back-and-forth, which is compacting the turf I'm continuously driving over. This year we're using The Bottomless Bucket and we got 3 yards of mulch moved and spread with just 3 loaded buckets. That's right 1 yard/bucket moved. Wow did this make this go SO MUCH FASTER!

Check out our YouTube Video of this task using The Bottomless Bucket

If this is something you'd like for yourself, come visit us at bottomlessbucketstore.com
I like the concept of the Bottomless Bucket, but I don't care for the price. $1699 with free shipping! I can buy a set of pallet forks and build b box out of plywood on a pallet for a lot less money that will do the same thing. I know that materials are expensive, as well as labor and shipping, but some items that are seldom used are not cost-efficient.

Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
We use a product called Buildex. It's mined and in the heating process expands and become like the material you see on the RR tracks. Comes available in various sizes, smallest is used for road chip and seal around here. We get it in 1/2" - 1 1/2" sizes bulk, or at least use to.
Couldn't find the stuff online, I'm curious about this product.

I feel ya. Mine was done pre-K (before my Kubota) with a shovel and a trailer.
I remember eating a large meal afterwards and laying on the floor on my back for a while to unwind, definitely don't want to do that manually again 😂

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Buildex use to be headquartered in Ottawa, Ks. That plant and office is shut down now, but I'll check to see what I can find. Maybe they're exporting it all now !!!!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
Madison,Pa.
I also use stone for my landscaping. 2B multi color stone. Weeds dont like to grow in the stone with the sun beating on it and it looks nice. I do use mulch (natural ) from trees cut on my property around the base of the shrubs planted in the stone covered areas to keep moisture in. Yes their is an occasional weed but its minimal!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
Madison,Pa.
I can appreciate you trying to get into the tractor market as MANY have done. Selling aftermarket items for tractors is a big business!! Curious? Is the bottemless bucket selling like hot cakes? Many tractor guys do like to spend big bucks on tractor thingys! Like many other implements they get lined up in the yard and only used on occasion. Selling a bucket to those who have buckets already must be tough just judging from the comments here. Good luck to ya!

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
I get 10 yards a year for my place alone, and when I worked at the township we went through 10 times that at the parks. All moved with a tractor or dump truck then the tractor. Full buckets wasn't ever an issue scooping off of pavement till there wasn't much of a pile. I don't personally see the allure of it.
Also no offense whoever was "operating" in the video isn't much of a loader operator. Repeated un level bucket, going into the pile above the pavement, picking the front tries off the ground..... wish you well on your endeavor.
You likely didn’t see that I had used an Easy Glider under the load of mulch that allows me to pull the mulch off my trailer and onto the driveway. With that under the mulch, I have to be a bit more careful when shoveling the mulch so that’s why my bucket wasn’t flush to the ground. If you watch later in the video you can see me removing the easy glider from under the pile.

Reactions: 1 users

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
I can appreciate you trying to get into the tractor market as MANY have done. Selling aftermarket items for tractors is a big business!! Curious? Is the bottemless bucket selling like hot cakes? Many tractor guys do like to spend big bucks on tractor thingys! Like many other implements they get lined up in the yard and only used on occasion. Selling a bucket to those who have buckets already must be tough just judging from the comments here. Good luck to ya!
The fact is, when we first started this project, a 10x5 sheet of aluminum was $325 and then due to The Biden Inflation that same sheet increased to $700. The Bottomless Bucket has gotten a lot of positive feedback, but the price were forced to charge due to the commodity prices sky rocketing has made it difficult for many to afford given the economy. Personally, I use my bucket more than my steel bucket to move grass clippings, firewood, mulch, bagged products, and for fall cleanups. I find it to be a huge time saver and makes it much safer to move large volumes of lighter materials around the property. I can understand it’s not for you today, but I guarantee you’ll be wishing you had one in the not too distant future…

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
I like the concept of the Bottomless Bucket, but I don't care for the price. $1699 with free shipping! I can buy a set of pallet forks and build b box out of plywood on a pallet for a lot less money that will do the same thing. I know that materials are expensive, as well as labor and shipping, but some items that are seldom used are not cost-efficient.
When we started this project a sheet of 10X5 aluminum was $325 and due to the commodities inflation brought in by our POTUS, that same sheet costs $700+. We knew the price point had to be closer to 1K vs. 2K but I agree it’s not for everyone. As far as usage, I actually use mine more than my steel bucket to move grass clippings every time I cut the lawn. I also use it to move firewood from my wood stack up to my fire pit, and to stack cuttings and saplings into it, etc. it’s a huge time saver for me personally.

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
That was my take as well when I saw the video. Either that, or they possibly need a bit more seat time when working with a loader. I did notice that the operator had a tooth bar on the bucket. So, perhaps just being very careful in not digging into the driveway? My advice would be to lose the tooth bar for that job and slam that mulch in.
I used an Easy Glider to pull the mulch off the trailer so that was under the mulch requiring to be careful not to catch and rip up the easy glider. If you watch the video, you’ll see me removing the Easy Glider once I had removed enough of the material. I was not sandbagging…

bird dogger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
You want to be careful with any low voltage circuitry such as lighting/sprinkler, etc!! Our nearby neighbor had low voltage lighting in their mulched foundation plantings around the house. Nobody home during the day. On the back side of their house (away from outdoor faucets) something had chewed into some exposed wiring causing some arcing. The mulch started smoldering in the morning. By noon, a neighbor smelled it but didn't know where it was coming from. Later, smoke was spotted and the neighbor ran over to investigate. Called the fire dept. right away....also the home's owner.....and told them their house was now on fire! They were extremely lucky....only some exterior siding and charred sheathing were damaged before the fire truck arrived to put out the fire.

In no time after his arrival, the husband/owner had ripped out ALL low voltage lighting and other circuits around his property! He was not happy!!

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2021
NYS
The fact is, when we first started this project, a 10x5 sheet of aluminum was $325 and then due to The Biden Inflation that same sheet increased to $700. The Bottomless Bucket has gotten a lot of positive feedback, but the price were forced to charge due to the commodity prices sky rocketing has made it difficult for many to afford given the economy. Personally, I use my bucket more than my steel bucket to move grass clippings, firewood, mulch, bagged products, and for fall cleanups. I find it to be a huge time saver and makes it much safer to move large volumes of lighter materials around the property. I can understand it’s not for you today, but I guarantee you’ll be wishing you had one in the not too distant future…
I am no fan of Joe Biden, but I’m not so sure he’s earned much blame for this bucket.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
When we started this project a sheet of 10X5 aluminum was $325 and due to the commodities inflation brought in by our POTUS, that same sheet costs $700+. We knew the price point had to be closer to 1K vs. 2K but I agree it’s not for everyone. As far as usage, I actually use mine more than my steel bucket to move grass clippings every time I cut the lawn. I also use it to move firewood from my wood stack up to my fire pit, and to stack cuttings and saplings into it, etc. it’s a huge time saver for me personally.
I can appreciate what your trying to do, but really it doesn't seem practical, especially for a bx with a 600lbs ish lift capacity. You also now need the regular bucket to load normal materials, plus the super bucket, which isn't really a bucket in the sense it's not self loading. With all the switching back and forth a little dump trailer would be just as efficient.
Anyway, I wish you the best in your endeavor.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I don't know how I managed to spread another 17 yards of mulch on Wednesday in under 2 hours. No mulch napkins, no swapping, no bins, in fact I never got off the machine....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Best of luck to the OP on your idea! (-:

Reactions: 1 users

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
The Bucket just went on sale and is now $1549 with FREE SHIPPING. Use Coupon Code INDEPENDENCEDAY to get $200 off the initial price.

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
I don't know how I managed to spread another 17 yards of mulch on Wednesday in under 2 hours. No mulch napkins, no swapping, no bins, in fact I never got off the machine....

As we've said before one of the advantages of using our bucket is that it saves your lawn because you're driving over it far less with our bucket. Doing the math 17 yards would have taken you 85 trips over the lawn vs. 17 trips with our bucket. By the looks of it, you destroyed all the grass that was there, and by the looks of the patchy mounds of mulch, you wasted a lot of material just dumping it into the area. That area should have taken about 3 yards to cover. Doing something fast but poorly isn't really our thing.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
As we've said before one of the advantages of using our bucket is that it saves your lawn because you're driving over it far less with our bucket. Doing the math 17 yards would have taken you 85 trips over the lawn vs. 17 trips with our bucket. By the looks of it, you destroyed all the grass that was there, and by the looks of the patchy mounds of mulch, you wasted a lot of material just dumping it into the area. That area should have taken about 3 yards to cover. Doing something fast but poorly isn't really our thing.
lol nice try
1) It was prob about 30 trips because I know how to scoop a heaping bucket, you could use a few tips on this technique, I will be glad to show you.

2) The pot marks are from the front tires getting stuck on the railroad ties in 2wd and the back tires spinning on wet ground while backing out, no big deal.

3) Your estimates are as poor as your scooping skills... The playground is 40 feet by 30 feet, this is 1200 square feet. The depth of material was spec'd at a minimum of 4", preferably 5". Thus, 17 yards was spread in under two hours. No swapping buckets, no mulch napkins required, I didn't even get off the tractor!

4) Variations you see are the shadows / lighting. The little kids loved their new flat mulch. $300 bucket and didn’t have to un-ass myself from the seat 47 times to manipulate the SSQA levers.

If you need any more tips be sure to reach out i'll be happy to help!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users