Mulching with The Bottomless Bucket

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
Well it's that time of year and we're laying down yards and yards of mulch. We used to use the trusty wheel barrow before we got our BX 1880 and last year we used the bucket to move the mulch, but here's the challenge with using that small tractor bucket. The first is that it's hard to get a full bucket of mulch every time you dig into your pile of mulch, so I scoop what I can and found myself shoveling the rest to fill the bucket. The second problem was that the capacity of the bucket was about as much as a wheel barrow could handle so it meant lots of trips back-and-forth, which is compacting the turf I'm continuously driving over. This year we're using The Bottomless Bucket and we got 3 yards of mulch moved and spread with just 3 loaded buckets. That's right 1 yard/bucket moved. Wow did this make this go SO MUCH FASTER!

Check out our YouTube Video of this task using The Bottomless Bucket

If this is something you'd like for yourself, come visit us at bottomlessbucketstore.com

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
Madison,Pa.
" The first is that it's hard to get a full bucket of mulch every time you dig into your pile of mulch, so I scoop what I can and found myself shoveling the rest to fill the bucket"

You have to shovel mulch into the bucket to fill it? , Surly your kidding??????

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
" The first is that it's hard to get a full bucket of mulch every time you dig into your pile of mulch, so I scoop what I can and found myself shoveling the rest to fill the bucket"

If you watched the video you could see many scoops were half full or less. If I’m using just my steel bucket and wanted to fill it to the max before going out to the beds, it would mean using a shove to fill it. All kidding aside…

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
Skeleton buckets work great for mulch. Picking rocks and branches too.
Those are cool buckets but even the lightest weight skeleton buckets weighs in and over 200 LBS and you’re not going to get a full yard of material in it. The Bottomless Bucket is 168 LBS empty and a full yard of mulch is about 600 LBS. You could see on the video that we we’re close to maxing out the FEL trying to lift a full mulch bucket, so keeping the weight under 200 LBS was instrumental to getting a full yard in it, and being able to lift it.

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880

Did you watch the video? I didn't touch a shovel to fill The Bottomless Bucket. My point was that if you use your steel bucket to mulch your gardens, you'll have to have a shovel handy more often than not to completely fill the steel bucket.

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
Well it's that time of year and we're laying down yards and yards of mulch. We used to use the trusty wheel barrow before we got our BX 1880 and last year we used the bucket to move the mulch, but here's the challenge with using that small tractor bucket. The first is that it's hard to get a full bucket of mulch every time you dig into your pile of mulch, so I scoop what I can and found myself shoveling the rest to fill the bucket. The second problem was that the capacity of the bucket was about as much as a wheel barrow could handle so it meant lots of trips back-and-forth, which is compacting the turf I'm continuously driving over. This year we're using The Bottomless Bucket and we got 3 yards of mulch moved and spread with just 3 loaded buckets. That's right 1 yard/bucket moved. Wow did this make this go SO MUCH FASTER!

Check out our YouTube Video of this task using The Bottomless Bucket

If this is something you'd like for yourself, come visit us at bottomlessbucketstore.com
Swapping out the Steel Bucket with the Bottomless bucket only took 35 seconds:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
lol wait a sec... so we load a bucket with a bucket, then take that bucket off, and attach the bucket we just loaded, then move the material, then return to the pile, remove the bucket, install the other bucket, and load the bucket we just took off... then repeat :ROFLMAO: is it April 1st?

and why arent you getting full bucket scoops with the loader bucket? If you got full bucket scoops, it would likely negate the need to use a bucket for your bucket.

I'm not saying I know anything, or am any good at tractoring, but moving and spreading 30 yards in 2-3 hours, isnt difficult with a stock $400, 1/3 of a yard bucket.... you'll have an extra $1,400 left over to buy alcohol with, or a grapple.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
lol wait a sec... so we load a bucket with a bucket, then take that bucket off, and attach the bucket we just loaded, then move the material, then return to the pile, remove the bucket, install the other bucket, and load the bucket we just took off... then repeat :ROFLMAO: is it April 1st?

and why arent you getting full bucket scoops with the loader bucket? If you got full bucket scoops, it would likely negate the need to use a bucket for your bucket.

I'm not saying I know anything, or am any good at tractoring, but moving and spreading 30 yards in 2-3 hours, isnt difficult with a stock $400, 1/3 of a yard bucket.... you'll have an extra $1,400 left over to buy alcohol with, or a grapple.
Clearly you haven’t worked much with mulch. It doesn’t resist the bucket like dirt and stay in place. It moves around on the driveway as you try to scoop it up. You might get a half bucket on a good scoop but then you’re shoveling the rest. I’m able to swap the buckets in 35 seconds so that’s irrelevant to the task, my intention is to be taking a full yard out to the beds. After all isn’t that why we bought the QA systems?

Bonus: When your done with all your mulching you can fill the bucket with beer and let the party begin.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I get 10 yards a year for my place alone, and when I worked at the township we went through 10 times that at the parks. All moved with a tractor or dump truck then the tractor. Full buckets wasn't ever an issue scooping off of pavement till there wasn't much of a pile. I don't personally see the allure of it.
Also no offense whoever was "operating" in the video isn't much of a loader operator. Repeated un level bucket, going into the pile above the pavement, picking the front tries off the ground..... wish you well on your endeavor.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I like the concept, but with the amount of time it took to load the bucket, you could have already transported 3 bucket fulls and dumped the mulch on a tarp where you or the wife needed to spread it and started on another pile or two before she was done. The operator (OP?) was clearly "sandbagging" with that loader bucket before switching to the bigger one.

Lastly, $1700+ is not a small price to pay. That's nearly the cost of a SSQA hydraulic auger, or multiple non-hydraulic implements that are built to a greater level of complexity than aluminum panels that were laser cut and bent on a brake with a fabbed SSQA metal bracket. Not my cup of tea but I won't knock the hustle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
clearly :rolleyes:
maybe one day, instead of getting full buckets I'll work my skill up to get 1/4 full buckets

Just use a shovel it will be just as fast as 1/4 full buckets....

• Haha

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The operator (OP?) was clearly "sandbagging" with that loader bucket before switching to the bigger one.
That was my take as well when I saw the video. Either that, or they possibly need a bit more seat time when working with a loader. I did notice that the operator had a tooth bar on the bucket. So, perhaps just being very careful in not digging into the driveway? My advice would be to lose the tooth bar for that job and slam that mulch in.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
That was my take as well when I saw the video. Either that, or they possibly need a bit more seat time when working with a loader. I did notice that the operator had a tooth bar on the bucket. So, perhaps just being very careful in not digging into the driveway? My advice would be to lose the tooth bar for that job and slam that mulch in.
I questioned that as well, but there are a few times he has the front of the bucket down then sends the teeth across the payment.....

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Those are cool buckets but even the lightest weight skeleton buckets weighs in and over 200 LBS and you’re not going to get a full yard of material in it. The Bottomless Bucket is 168 LBS empty and a full yard of mulch is about 600 LBS. You could see on the video that we we’re close to maxing out the FEL trying to lift a full mulch bucket, so keeping the weight under 200 LBS was instrumental to getting a full yard in it, and being able to lift it.
I see your point, my 85" skeleton bucket is 800 lbs. Their smallest 48" bucket is 400 lbs.

On the plus side I can grab 1-1.5 yards of mulch at a time without much effort, easy to grab full buckets from large piles.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I like the concept. If I needed to move a lot of light material a long distance, this would be ideal. I really have no need for that though.
I hate the concept of mulch. Breeds insects, fire hazard (look into fire-wise), and a constant time consuming chore. I used river rock instead. Once and done, I'll never need to mess with it again. Zero maintenance and zero additional cost. I'm cheap and lazy I guess ;)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I like the concept. If I needed to move a lot of light material a long distance, this would be ideal. I really have no need for that though.
I hate the concept of mulch. Breeds insects, fire hazard (look into fire-wise), and a constant time consuming chore. I used river rock instead. Once and done, I'll never need to mess with it again. Zero maintenance and zero additional cost. I'm cheap and lazy I guess ;)
I used to try to persuade many in making the move from mulch to deco stone. As you say, once and done (as long as good, non-woven weed barrier was installed). How many of you have experienced artillery fungus? You know, those freaking little black specs that are shot all over your light colored siding and trim that is a bear to remove? You won't get that when using deco stone either....

I digress...

Carry on

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
If life with the wife were that easy....

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I used to try to persuade many in making the move from mulch to deco stone. As you say, once and done (as long as good, non-woven weed barrier was installed). How many of you have experienced artillery fungus? You know, those freaking little black specs that are shot all over your light colored siding and trim that is a bear to remove? You won't get that when using deco stone either....

I digress...

Carry on
100% agree. Used crushed granite on our last landscaping project and plan on using the same for our current when I get around to it. Wife picks out the colors, and now I can use my expensive wheelbarrow to move it around. Last project I did with crushed granite was 7 yards and I had to move it by hand with a shovel and wheelbarrow 😭