Mud sticking inside bucket

Craiger265

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 26, 2015
Manitoba Canada
Anyone got some tips or advice on how to prevent mud sticking inside the backhoe bucket while trenching? I have BX25D with 12" bucket. It gets sickening trying to get the gumbo out or I have to have a helper use a shovel to get it out.

Thanks

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Clean the bucket, then coat with silicone spray, or the wife's out-of-date Pam (or similar) cooking spray.
I have a 10" bucket, and if I dig deep enough, red clay- works for me.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
John Deer sells a product called "slip plate". It come in an aerosol can. I had heard of people using it on shovels, hand tools, mower decks and stuff like that. You might try painting the inside of the bucket with it. It is a graphite based paint and I guess it does wonders for hand tools. I work in a distribution center and we cote the chutes with it to help boxes slide down. It will wear off and will need reapplied periodical but it does help.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
hang a short chain inside the bucket or put some small holes in the back of the bucket to let then air in. may not work for all soils.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I second the notion of using slip plate or spray on never seize. Best to clean the bucket with pressure washer, and wire brush, put it on at end of day, let it dry over night. If you are going for long term storage, there's a product that tsc and similar stores sell called plow coat, that works well on anything that works in dirt...:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
A little rag dampened with diesel may help some. Quick wipe on a clean dry bucket.

Every concrete form I ever had to set had diesel sprayed on it !!! You went home everyday smelling like diesel and concrete!!! Woman love it.......NOT !:eek::p

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I feel your pain...and have experienced it myself! Digging out that muck is especially obnoxious in clay soil.

But to the issue: I bought my L48 backhoe from a guy that did septic tank work. I asked him about his technique after using, and failing with, that black graphite spray from Tractor Supply.

He said that he fills a small garden sprayer with diesel fuel and has his helper spray the bucket every few dips.

That is fine and good if you have a helper. I don't think getting off the tractor that much would be very efficient.

Whatever I've used has always worn off very quickly and it is back to square one with a digging bar or crowbar. Now I just try to avoid digging in wet ground if possible.

Hopefully, someone on here will come up with the perfect solution that lasts over 15 minutes.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I spray at the start of the day, then have the can handy for a re-spray whenever I get off the tractor to measure, hit a big rock with the sharpshooter, grab a drink, lunch, or whatever. It's not the perfect solution, but it's better than not doing anything, plus I'm not digging commercially, so I'm not on the clock.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Just remembered the "pet rock"
Buddy was cleaning a ditch. Bucket would constantly plug. Dragged his pet rock along to smack bucket on to clear bucket. Said it really sucked when he would forget it and have to go back for it.

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
Just remembered the "pet rock"
Buddy was cleaning a ditch. Bucket would constantly plug. Dragged his pet rock along to smack bucket on to clear bucket. Said it really sucked when he would forget it and have to go back for it.
I always use the pet rock method myself. A near by tree works too. lol.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, I'd say spray carnuba wax or silicone, both will wear out though.

If it's thick mud, you generally need to have a couple of drain/air holes in the bucket anyway, it lets it pop out.

If you do this kind of work a lot, rig up an air compressor and lines on the unit. Stuck soil, hit the compressed air button and it will blow out the soil/mud. If you rig the line parallel to the long bottom plate of the bucket, I think would be most effective.

Craiger265

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 26, 2015
Manitoba Canada
Thanks everyone for the tips! I have been using a silicone spray and so far so good. I will remember to find a rock and keep it in my truck LoL