Mowing with a B2601

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
How well does a B2601 mow grass? The only videos I found showed guys mowing, not high quality lawns, more almost like fields. Can they do a good quality job of mowing if you mow 1 -2 times a week? mulching? either? I want a multi use tractor with more ground clearance than a BX (FEL, BH, MMM, etc.). Here in the northeast with the rain we get you have to keep up with mowing or you get like in the videos I watched where the grass they cut gets thrown out the side and lays like cutting down a hay field. If they mowed more often it "might" look better but I haven't seen any evidence yet. Anybody have a B2601(or B2301) that you mow regularly with? If they mow descent I would consider getting a mmm, if not then I wont get the mmm. I realize that part of a good mow job is sharp blades, and don't wait too long between mowings.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
A lot depends on how fussy you are. I mow with a much larger machine and am thrilled. My next door neighbor wouldn't be happy with it.

If you want to frequently use a backhoe and loader a MMM may not be the best choice.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I'm extremely happy with stock blades. I mow off site a large area that is thick and grows fast. Last summer was wet here I still went 3 weeks between. Letting grow so tall I did lay grass clippings like you are worried about, I'm not bothered by them.

I mow with turf tires and loader off.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I mow 7 acres a week with mine and it does a great job. Mid gear with the pedal mashed to the floor. The only thing I don’t like is the non swivel front gauge wheels. I already broke one of the mounts and I had to weld it and beef it up. The drive over deck is nice cuz I take my deck off all the time.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The finish mower for the BX or the B do grand jobs cutting, HOWEVER, how do you want the ground to look , like a carpet a putting green or what? If you mow high grass yes it will make wind rows, if that bothers you then mow the wind rows again each time chopping them up or look into a bagger like the cyclone thing

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Do any of you use a mulching kit ? does the cut off grass disappear? or with the discharge chute pulled up does the grass disappear?

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
No mulching kit here. My grass can get pretty thick in the midsummer especially a rainy one and it’s too much for mulching. Also I need all the lift I can get, and a mulching blade kills that I find. Sometimes I have to buzz it up with a 50” sweeper in the thick spots a few times a year.

brushfarmer

Mar 18, 2019
Newbury MA
Moved up to a B2601 from a B7500, using a 5' Land Pride 3pt finish mower. Has back discharge over full width so no windrowing. I like the mower off the back as it offers the option to back under bushes and get close to objects in ways a MMM wouldn't allow. The 7500 would get bogged down at times. The increased HP on the 2601 is a big improvement, mow as fast as you want, pretty much.