mowing a fence line and a 16 acres of field tractor suggestions?

jp_over

Apr 4, 2021
East TX
Great thread with good info on fence line mowing. For our 3/4 miles of 6 strand fence I recently read about and am considering this model but have not tried it:

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
I actually got stuck trying to mow it with the bush hog.

There is a ditch along the fence the tractor slid into the fence, i could not go backwards or forwards,

Going forward the FEL would hit the fence and going backwards the bush hog would get caught.

What do you do in that situation? You turn the wheel at all and you catch the fence.

I got out somehow.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
flail-field-mowing-nh-5.jpg

This is a 60" offset/shift Flail Mower on my B2650. It mows fantastic. I get into a lot of crap so I went with the hammer blades.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
In TX we don't mow fence lines...we have them everywhere. We spray them. The fence line is often the cleanest ground on our land.

We have a sprayer on the RTV, works great. If you are a big anti-herbicide person, then I guess you can use a weedwacker.

A flail will never get under the fence...and you will beat it up or your fence trying to get under it. A bush hog won't work either.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I only have electric fences around the gardens. Have maybe 1500 ft of fence total.
I use the tractor bush hog and get as close as possible. I go around it again with a DR brush cutter sometimes. Usually finish up with an Stihl string trimmer.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I do use it but this crap is tall. There is a fence in this picture!
Round up will kill it--may take a couple of applications, but it will die. Once you have that done spray as needed. To me, that's your ONLY solution. An expensive cutting machine (pick one from above) will probably be more trouble than it is worth.

Reactions: 1 user