Mower deck cleaning

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Well it's getting that time of the year to put the mower decks away,other than cleaning the underside do you do something else? I tried mower deck graphite spray, does not work, I tried painting, also does not last. What about POR 15, anyone try this? or Hammerite paint? it's pretty tough stuff, let me know.

Big Kahuna

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi All,
my first mower, bought second hand, I stripped the deck and sent it for hot galvanizing. Then repainted it orange on top and black asphalt paint under neath, at least 3 coats.
Now on new BX 2360 I only use black asphalt after the season finish, every year to protect the metal from sand blasting and rust.

There are other types of coatings possibly suitable, like liquid rubber or sound deafening paint used for under car body protection.

The idea is to have softer surface to resist chipping and peeling.

Regards Frank

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector under my mower decks, cutter bar on my disc mower, inside the round baler, pretty much any surface I need to protect from the elements and prevent rust. Under the mower decks it will not only keep it from rusting but will keep grass from building up next spring.

1stcarver

Equipment
L175
Oct 15, 2012
Waskom, TX USA
I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector under my mower decks, cutter bar on my disc mower, inside the round baler, pretty much any surface I need to protect from the elements and prevent rust. Under the mower decks it will not only keep it from rusting but will keep grass from building up next spring.
What kind of life span do you think one should get from a mower/bush hog?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What kind of life span do you think one should get from a mower/bush hog?
I've got a Bushhog finishing mower that's been used 13 seasons now and it's still good as a new one. Under side of the deck still looks great. I can't see any reason why it won't go 20+ years. I have a old Bushhog brand cutter that's over 40 yrs old and it still works. Looks awfull but still could be used.

The biggest thing I think besides normal maintainance is clean the deck after each use and store it in the dry if possible.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Could you use a bed liner material like Rhino? That stuff is tuff as tuff can be.
I wouldn't- it is a rough texture, and will hold wet grass and stuff. I would coat it good with POR-15- that stuff is as tough or tougher than bedliner, and has a gloss finish.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hodge, never heard of the stuff but I looked it up and read about it. Sounds like pretty good stuff. Have you used it and if so on what?

You know we like examples and pictures. :D :eek: :D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Bulldog, I have used it on my truck- I had some rust on the inside lower lips of both doors. I sanded them down, applied three coats, then topcoated it with paint. It is tough stuff- do not get it on your hands. It will have to wear off.
I plan to do a mower deck on my old Wheelhorse, but haven't done it yet.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks Hodge, what I read on it yesterday made it sound like something that would stay put for a long time. That good info to have for the future.