Moving 3rd Function Buttons on Joystick?

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I've been irritated recently because when lifting my blade or bucket from the ground, my loader stops, jerks, and stutters. Come to find out, I'M doing it!

My 3rd function buttons are on the front of the joystick knob (see photo). My fingers tend to at least brush the buttons when I lift my loader. When I grab the stick below them and lift, smooth as silk. But I like, or have gotten used to, keeping my palm on the knob with my fingers hanging down. Used that way, or with my thumb over the knob and fingers wrapped around, I have a problem. Reaching down and grabbing the stick feels wrong.

Does anyone know if I can loosen some of the screws shown and try turning the buttons toward me on the tractor? I'd try using thumb to hit them. I think that would feel more natural. And even if it doesn't, I use the blade and bucket lots more than my grapple. It's a Land Pride 3rd function kit, but since the dealer installed it I don't have manuals. No indication what the wiring is like in there.

View from front showing buttons:
3rd function front.jpg

View from rear, showing more screws:
3rd function rear.jpg

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
hitting the 3rd function buttons while nothing is hooked up to the ports shouldnt effect the loader operation. At least it didnt on my B2601, with the kubota 3rd function.

to twist the handle, insert allen key into stud, loosen lock nuts, rotate handle being mindful to not tighten the pins onto the wire running up the inside of the handle.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I've been irritated recently because when lifting my blade or bucket from the ground, my loader stops, jerks, and stutters. Come to find out, I'M doing it!

My 3rd function buttons are on the front of the joystick knob (see photo). My fingers tend to at least brush the buttons when I lift my loader. When I grab the stick below them and lift, smooth as silk. But I like, or have gotten used to, keeping my palm on the knob with my fingers hanging down. Used that way, or with my thumb over the knob and fingers wrapped around, I have a problem. Reaching down and grabbing the stick feels wrong.

Does anyone know if I can loosen some of the screws shown and try turning the buttons toward me on the tractor? I'd try using thumb to hit them. I think that would feel more natural. And even if it doesn't, I use the blade and bucket lots more than my grapple. It's a Land Pride 3rd function kit, but since the dealer installed it I don't have manuals. No indication what the wiring is like in there.

View from front showing buttons:

View from rear, showing more screws:
I have same control knob / buttons that you have on an "L" and the buttons point towards my right hip.
Simple loosen and twist should do it.
When operating my grapple lid the lift/curl is still smooth and very controllable.
I have never pushed the bottoms with engine running and nothing attached to the circuit. Feel this is probably not a good idea. I do push the botttons when tractor is off but "acc" circuit on just to release pressure so hooking/unhooking hoses is easier with hose pressure off.

hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Thanks, boakley! Will try it. Gently . . . I want my buttons where you have yours, pointed to my right side.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
hitting the 3rd function buttons while nothing is hooked up to the ports shouldnt effect the loader operation. At least it didnt on my B2601, with the kubota 3rd function.

to twist the handle, insert allen key into stud, loosen lock nuts, rotate handle being mindful to not tighten the pins onto the wire running up the inside of the handle.
that’s exactly what I did to mine. just Turned it 90 and use my thumb to hit the buttons.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
"to twist the handle, insert allen key into stud, loosen lock nuts, rotate handle being mindful to not tighten the pins onto the wire running up the inside of the handle."​

Thanks, 737. All I can say is the buttons seem to affect my loader when I hit them while raising the bucket or blade. A Kubota tech said that was my issue, and I conformed it by pulling back on the stick making sure I didn't hit the buttons, and no problem.

But now that you mention it. how IS that possible when the 3rd function hydraulics are not attached!!!?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I’m going to try and remember to disconnect my blower from My 3rd function and see what happens when I press the buttons and move my loader on my 23s. I wonder if because it’s a closed circuit, maybe the machine hits its pressure max?

• Love

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Depends on what type of third function you have. If it's a diverter, when you hit the button you cut the loader circuit out and direct the flow to the third function hoses. It doesn't matter if there are hoses connected or not, the flow is directed to those ports, and cut off from the loader ports.

Reactions: 1 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I have the Land Pride 3rd function that looks like the one the original poster shows in his pictures. When one of the buttons is pressed it diverts all hydraulic pressure to the 3rd function so there is no power to the FEL. It might be handy to be able to operate the FEL and 3rd function at the same time, but that's not how it works.

Also, when mine was installed the buttons were facing out instead of in towards me. After asking on this forum I learned that the knob can be turned to whatever position you like by loosening the two set screws.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Geezer, are the set screws at the very bottom?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have the Land Pride 3rd function that looks like the one the original poster shows in his pictures. When one of the buttons is pressed it diverts all hydraulic pressure to the 3rd function so there is no power to the FEL. It might be handy to be able to operate the FEL and 3rd function at the same time, but that's not how it works.

Also, when mine was installed the buttons were facing out instead of in towards me. After asking on this forum I learned that the knob can be turned to whatever position you like by loosening the two set screws.
Where do you turn the 3rd function power on from? Is it the little button just forward of the loader stick?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Where do you turn the 3rd function power on from? Is it the little button just forward of the loader stick?
im going to assume his is the same as mine based on the loader control. Mine turns on when I start the tractor. It’s a true 3rd function. Each button controls the solenoid to effect flow. If it was a single button then it would be a divertor; press button and it steals (diverts) The curl function circuit. I went with the 2 button third function so I can curl and clamp/open my grapple at the same time.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
On my LP there is no on/off. It is always on when the key is on and all I do is press either of the buttons to use the implement.

If I don't have an implement attached then the hoses are pressurized when I accidentally press the buttons, then I have to relieve that pressure before I can push the connectors onto an implement. I do that by switching the engine off, turning the key to on, and pressing the buttons for a few seconds each.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I do not know how much it costs but the Kubota 3rd function switch on my LX has a button for turning it on or off.

Reactions: 1 users