Moved 3rd function hoses

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm not sure if I am only one, but I was having a hard time connecting, and to some extent disconnecting, my grapple hoses due to the downward angle at which they were installed.( I forgot to take a before pic, so pic 1 is my only before reference pic)

The other thing that bothered me was that the downward angle of the original bracket made the grapple hoses hang down below the loader arm, and on more than one occasion, catch branch's that yanked on the hoses.

I decided to move them, so that the connectors faced up instead of down so that they were at an upward angle to me; allowing a more natural connection angle for me.

This however put my loader hoses at the bottom of the loader arm (kind of a "out of the frying pan, but into the fire" situation )

So I decide to make a "hose guard", so that I could keep my upward angle of attack and keep my hoses protected.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I really, really, really hated the thought of welding on my loader arms for a couple of reasons, but mostly I could not stand the thought of grinding the paint off my new'ish tractor.

I decided that the "stand arm" that is used for taking off the loader would be the best choice to attach my guard for the following reasons.

1. It is relatively cheap to replace if this crazy a$$ idea turns into a total cluster F$@K.
2. It makes removing the guard fairly easy for other maintenance/repair purposes.
3. I don't have to grind on my loader arm.

So I measured it up, and cut a piece of 10 gauge A36 to size, with my trusty plasma cutter (I love that thing!)

Then used a C-clamp to get a feel for how it will look/hang/work.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
As you can see, pic 1 shows the new upward attack angle of the connectors. This should, in theory, make it much easier for me to connect and disconnect the grapple hoses.

Pic 2 shows the "new problem" of the hoses hanging below the loader arm.

I made sure that it would not hit anything by swinging it up and down to check for clearance.

So far, so good.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I decided that having some "side protection" couldn't be a bad thing, so instead of a boring/easy flat piece of steel, I decide to complicate things a little.

I knew the triangle piece would need to be trimmed, so a little free handing with the plasma cutter was in order.

The first clearance problem presented itself fairly quickly in pic 3, but was quickly resolved in pic 4.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
For the life of me, I can't remember why I decided to MIG the inside. I just don't like the spatter it produces.

I almost always go TIG (or go home)

Hmmm....oh well, I must have had a reason.

I also decide that it would be a good idea to make it a 'bolt on' guard instead of welding it directly to the arm (Good choice Paul, and you'll see why in a minute)

I located the holes with those Center Locating Punch's , and hang her up.

Attachments

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Mine were originally facing down also. I then rotated the bracket but forward facing was no better really. Thought about up, but like you, didn't like where that put the hoses. So I opted for across the brace like seen on some BX's.
20230127_195726.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
BAM....and there it is. The first big F-up of the the project. The entire time I had been placing the guard in place, not swinging it into place.

Break out my little buddy and trim her up.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Mine were originally facing down also. I then rotated the bracket but forward facing was no better really. Thought about up, but like you, didn't like where that put the hoses. So I opted for across the brace like seen on some BX's.
View attachment 96772
Damn man...where were you 3 weeks ago?

That is a great idea and much easier.

Boss is coming, I gotta look busy.....

• Haha

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Nice. I have struggled the few times I have hook/unhooked the grapple but thought it was inexperience and that it would get easier as I did it more often...

With the couplers facing up, how is the hose length/routing to the grapple as it moves thru the full curl motion? My hoses seem short as it is. One got caught behing the QA handle but I saw it before I damaged anything and used a bungie to keep it away but now the hoses hang low and I worry about getting them snagged on brush. Maybe across like Evil Twin did would help...

The previous owner also bent the hard lines that run across the FEL frame (torque tube?) and I noticed there is protection on top but not on bottom. I can see how the hard lines could be damaged working with brush and a grapple. Any plans on adding a guard for the hard lines?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
i made a new bracket for mine as well, they were just flopping around in a hook, so i cut the bracket. put 90's on it and then hard plummed the lines. makes it much easier than the original bracket.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
With the couplers facing up, how is the hose length/routing to the grapple as it moves thru the full curl motion?

Any plans on adding a guard for the hard lines?
I used the grapple this weekend. Having them facing up has had no effect on the loader hoses besides making them hang low. As a matter of fact it actually helps keep the grapple hoses up, and out of the way.

I have bent my steel hoses as well. I do plan on coming up with some sort of guard for them as well.

Spoiler alert: It is sooooo much easier to connect and disconnect now.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Oh well, after some trimming and fitting I still can't seem to get it to be able to swing down without hitting the hoses.

You can see in pic 2 that it looks good when bolted in place, but I wanted it to be able to swing down without having to unbolt it.

That leaves me in a real shi$$y situation because I have already drilled the mounting bolts, but there is no alternative but to move it down a little further........There is a sudden outpouring of a series of swear words that start with MOTHERFUC**** MOTHERFUC***!!!!!!

But as per usual, no amount of swearing seems be helping actually fix the problem.

Oh well, I gotta get creative.

I move it down and find out that in order for it to swing down I have to move it to a place where I have to notch it out to make it sit flush.

Attachments

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So here's the result of my short sightedness.

I have some "extra holes".

Now what to do?

Do I just leave it alone and drill another hole?

Naaaaaa...wheres the fun fun in that?

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So this is one of the reasons I like metal working vs wood working. It seems to be much easier to fix your mistakes.

I decide to weld up the old holes, then weld on a small tab to utilize the hole I've already drilled in the stand arm. (not pictured)

At this point, I decide to switch to TIG and make the outside joints look better.

Not great, but not too bad either. (lets just agree to call them "competent amateur welds")

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
After bolting it up and checking everything, its on to the top coat. I again used the vinegar bath, but I am running out of the bed liner material I had, so I decided to try Rustolem 2x gloss gray.

If you have never used this spray paint, I highly suggest it. It is the best 'rattle can' paint I have ever used.

So far flipping the hoses to an upward attack angle has worked out very well. It is much easier for me to attach and disconnect the grapple hose, and I feel confident about the hose protection.

The only possible downside I see is that if I forget to install the connector covers when I'm done using the grapple, it will fill with debris/water/whatever, but I'm pretty good about remembering to use them.

I forgot to snap an "installed pic" but I'll edit this later.

Attachments