Mounted a winch on my L3800

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
I searched around the other day and was unsuccessful with other posts about this topic.

I decided to just dive in and see what I could come up with.
I started with a 1' piece of 6x6 square tube and some scrap 1/4 plate. I needed a 4x6 piece but my local shop didn't have any.

Here are some photos. Keep in mind I am a wood worker who dabbles in metal when I find time. The welds don't look pretty but they penetrated and are plenty strong.
image.jpg

Can't seem to get more than one photo to load so I will post more.

Last edited:

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
I had to cut 2 inches out of the middle. It was just to tall the hood wouldn't open. Like I said 4x6 is what I wanted.

image.jpg

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
I used rubberized under coating on it because it's nice and thick and I couldn't get inside of the tube to clean all the rust off of it. Has worked nicely for me in the past.

image.jpg

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
Here it is all finished up and ready to pull. I put the dash switch on the side of the joystick for the FEL and the plug in for the wired remote is in the side plastic vent below the hood.

image.jpg

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Looks good. I plan to do the same with my L3800. What size/brand winch did you go with?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
To post more then one picture at a time, just repeat what you did the first time. After your first post loads, search for #2, click and upload. I think you can do up to 5 pictures per posting.

Nice work. What you dragging?

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
Jason I used a Viper Max 5000 atv/utv winch with synthetic rope it is unbelievably light without all that steel cable. It was recommend by a friend. Used it today so far so good.

MD, I am starting my first ever Kubota Rock crawling buggy! JK :) Actually I have hilly property and have a tendacy to drive down hills and for one reason or another I don't make it back up. Especially on days like today when it won't stop raining and the ground is so wet you can barely walk it.

I did find a good use for it today I stretched the fence I was putting up. Beats a come along.

Thanks for looking.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have a 9000 lbs for mine...a couple of sggestions for you to consider for you.

Take that cable off before you use it...and replace with synthetic. Trust me there is alot of kinetic energy stored in a taught cable and if it lets go...you die or your rig does. Go on line for 4 x4 forums...most of those guys swap out to synthetic.

Get a 25' or so remote for it so you can get closer to you work to view it...and stay safe.

Make sure you tie off the rig to a tree or something solid so you don't tip or pull your rig over...or out of alignment...experience taught me that one.

Use mine for tree felling and moving logs...works great.

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I have a 9000 lbs for mine...a couple of sggestions for you to consider for you.

Take that cable off before you use it...and replace with synthetic. Trust me there is alot of kinetic energy stored in a taught cable and if it lets go...you die or your rig does. Go on line for 4 x4 forums...most of those guys swap out to synthetic.

Get a 25' or so remote for it so you can get closer to you work to view it...and stay safe.

Make sure you tie off the rig to a tree or something solid so you don't tip or pull your rig over...or out of alignment...experience taught me that one.

Use mine for tree felling and moving logs...works great.

If you do, it will have to be ORANGE!

https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/winc...500lbs-85ft/?gclid=COmqvMrHiMsCFQEJaQod6kMEKg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Did you use the standard viper or the wide spool? I'm thinking 40ft might not be enough versus the wide spools 65ft