Morning didn't start the way I planned

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I was heading to the farm, just driving along enjoying my morning. As I came over a hill in the road and found a big surprise standing there. I quickly came to a stop and engaged my hazards, working to get to the side of the road. I made it to the side of the road and got out.

Resized_20211009_073210.jpeg

I got my new found friend out of immediate danger, but now I was trying to figure out what to do. My experience has been with cattle and not horses. So, I decided to channel my inner most John Wayne and work on corralling the horse. I looked in the reflection of the SUV window and I realized that I was no John Wayne. So, I decided a better approach was to channel my inner Radar O'Reilly which worked.

My little friend came right on over and wanted a good head scratching. Yet, this led to the next problem, no rope, no treats, and when I started to walk away, to the house that was closest, but he started to wander about and head towards the road. I got him back on the side of the road. Decided to call the local sheriff department and they said they would send deputies to help.

While I was talking to the horse, another person stopped to offer assistance. He had a rope, so we could secure the horse. While he was holding onto the horse, I went to the closest house and sure enough, it was their horse.

The owner came out and we were able to get the horse safely back to his corral. Not the start I had planned for the day, but actually a great start to be able to help get the horse safely back home.

Resized_20211009_073032.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Good call on the Radar versus John Wayne! Horses rarely respond well to the cowboy approach. Glad you could get him home.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Tough to do. Bucket of molasses/oats and a horse will follow you anywhere. But who has that in the emergency kit? You did good.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Not having any experience with horses...or cows...or pigs (except for myself, as the wife says), I probably would have just driven by thinking it was normal for a horse to be there.

Kudos for you help to the horse and the owner!

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As a teenager, we rented our farm to a fellow that housed/pastured a bunch of Belgians and heifers at our place. They had open access to the barn.

Some of the Belgians and heifers got loose into one of our fall corn fields....

What an experience hearing the stomping of an 1,800 pound horse canting in your direction in a 9-foot tall corn field..

I caught all the horses. They all liked me a lot.

The heifers were another story...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If a horse is not spooky wild and you can walk up to it when you find one near the road as you did you can take your belt off and just loop it around it's neck and hold both ends of the belt and walk off.

With cattle, you can usually pull over to the side of the road, go real slow and honk your horn. They will eventually find the hole in the fence they came through....or make a new one!

The goal is to get critters off the roadway.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My dad had two cows years ago, one milker and one beef. My oldest sister really wanted a horse so dad gave in and got her one. After the horse was there a couple weeks it learned the boundries of the fence/pasture. She would start a slow trot around the pasture. Then after one pass she would pick up the pace some getting the two cows to follow. Then the third trip faster with cattle in tow STOPPING abruptly right at the fence letting both stampding cattle blow right thru the fence. Then she would cautiously walk thru. When dad saw her starting to trot he'd charge across the back lawn to stop her running. After six months of this. Cattle out and fence busted many times. 'Daisy' the horse went to someone else farm. Good Luck dad told the new owner.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya done good son,,, Yes Sir ya done good

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Well done. You probably saved the owner a HUGE insurance bill, or avoided an accident involving an animal that 'no one owned'. Normally, livestock are the owner's responsibility. This includes dogs, cats, horses, cows, goats, or any of the other animals on a farm large enough to do damage to a vehicle. I'm just glad you had time to see the horse and get stopped, both for you, and the owner.