More Off road Diesel disscussion

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
This topic comes up as the fuel prices rise usually. A question I have is in the storage of fuel. Does the dye always stay in suspension or will the color separate after a period of time? how does the fuel behave after other additives are used, i.e. anti-gel and such? Does the container material make a difference for storage? (steel vs. Plastic) Choosing equip to use? other thoughts that haven't run through my pea=brain?

Would others care to share their experience in storing fuel, do's and don'ts?
I'm really getting tired buying 5-10 gallons atime at the road pump.

thanks, kytim

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My preference as far as cans go for diesel is steel. The reason being if the fuel is subjected to sun light it will grow algea much faster. If you use plastic cans make sure you use a good colored can. Most plastic diesel cans I've seen are either dark blue or yellow. I was told that these colors are better for diesel use as far as to help prevent algea growth.

The die will stay in the fuel for years. The color may fade to a darker red but it will remain some shade of red.

I have 2 storage tanks on my farm, a 600 and a 300. One on either side. Did this to help cut down on roading. My 600 I try to keep full and use it mainly for a backup because it cost so much to fill. I still have some 2000 PPM high sulfer fuel. The freshest that's in it is 500 PPM sulfer. Yes, you can tell a difference in it and the new junk. It makes pretty black smoke and smells like real fuel should. Anyway, I put a couple of qts. of Marvelle Mystery oil and a couple of bottles of conditioner (correct mix for the tank capacity) The last time I filled it up. I ran out in my little tank around the first of the year and have used about 150 gal out of the big tank since then. Even though the fuel is as old as it is it still runs as good or maybe even better than fresh fuel would.

As far as long term storage goes I would recommend this. Try to set your tank so it doesn't get direct sun light or at least a limited amount. If you can choose which you get I would go for morning sun instead of afternoon. The reason for this is to try to limit the amount of heat your tank is exposed to. A vent is a good idea so the tank can breathe. Temp changes make the fuel expand and contract plus rapid cooling creates moisture. I also wrapped scotch-brite pads (filter) on my vent to help keep out dust and other contaminents from getting to your fuel. Store your tank, drum or whatever you use in the dry. I also think no matter if you are using a electric or hand pump to install a quality filter in-line. I have used several different types and the style I like best has a see thru canister with a internal screw on element. I have bought this kind from Northern Tool and TSC both. The elements for the in-line filters are about $5 where I get my filters. They are much cheaper to replace than any of my equipment filters are.

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
I have a couple of pointers for off road diesel....
I work with quite a bit of standby generator fuel, I use Off road diesel mixed specially for long storage times.

-The dye will stay longer than the fuel is good for, so dont plan on waiting it out.

-Dip tests can detect as little as 1-5% red dye, so you cant effectivly blend it.

-Fuel does get old, without the proper testing equipment, you may not even notice the difference. About 5 years is the longest I would trust any fuel. Older than that it will likely still burn, but economy will suffer.

Now for Bio issues....
-Most states now require more and more bio mitures. Here in MN the state requires B10 I belive, and will be increasing the mix as the yearrs come

-Biodiesel has a significant byproduct, especially when stored - water. Use a Moisture blocking/absorbing filter on your storage system to prevent adding it to your equipment. The Moisture is in solution, and usually does not present itself unless it is stored. Between temp changes, and stratified layers of fuel, I have seen/heard of some nasty fuel...

Biodiesel sucks. It does not store well. It grows bacteria more redily, it has moisture, it gells sooner, you cant avoid it. I would suggest that bio diesel from the pump is not stored more than 1 year. Even the specially blend made for long term storage does not store as well as the old high sulfer fuel.

http://www.extension.org/pages/Transportation_and_Storage_of_Biodiesel