MOPAR guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a question for the MOPAR gear heads. I was looking at a 71 Sebring 383 car with a 4 speed. And I noticed something, mine had the pistol grip shifter, cool huh,, Anyways I always had trouble with 3rd gear, because reverse was all the way over and up just like you would be hitting 3rd. Was that normal for the 4 way or did I have something different? Seems every other 4 way reverse was all the way to the left and either up or down so you never worried about going in to R when you shifted hard

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Never had a 4 speed, but my Jeep had a 5 speed with reverse all the way right and back. I have gone from second to 5th before but it was very early on in owning the vehicle. Also I don't thing you can force it to go into reverse when the vehicle is moving forward anyway. You'll get a grinding sound like you missed the clutch but the gear will not engage because everything is spinning the wrong way.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
On my 83, it was
R-1-3
2-4

revers is 1st but with a gear added. on those older transmission, 1st didnt have any synchros so you couldnt shift into it very easily without being stopped

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it has been a minute or two since I drove one, but the one I did was also a bit tough to shift. It was a 4 speed, super commando 383. My friend who owned it said that was "normal". I can't remember what transmission it was, I just know it was 4 speeds with reverse. Maybe A833?

Had same issues with several T56's over the years. The OEM's put lockout on the T56's so you couldn't get to reverse while trying to get to 5th. Most of us that put T56's in anything didn't use (or want) the lockout, but yet after driving the first one, I realized real quick that I had better figure out how to make it work. 5th and R are VERY close. Typically you can't get it into R at any appreciable speed but if you were power shifting, it can happen.

T5's had a non-synchronized reverse so half the time getting into reverse meant a nasty grind. Easy way around it, before going to R, go to 4th (sitting still). Goes right into R every single time without any grinding at all.

You get used to shifting the 4 speed, it don't take long to figure out where 3 and R are at. IIRC back in the day when people drag raced the A833's more, they had a special shifter that had a locked out R, had to move a lever to get it into R. Apples to Oranges here but my car is a Liberty and the inline shifter there is no possible way to get it into R unless you work at it--the way it outta be.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep you answered my question on the A833. The one I was looking at had the R to the right,, yep I had the R light on the dash,, and its a good thing there was more than once it came on just before I dumped the clutch,,,, would not have been a good thing dumping it R at 80 mph ,I dont think

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had the pistol grip so nothing to pull up on, I dont think they had a R lock out for that set up at least I never found one

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
I’ve had several Mopar four speeds over the years and reverse on all of them was pull to the left and up. Also the shifters were spring loaded so you had to pull it over. I can’t imagine how you’d get to reverse going for third.