Montana

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just watched “Aerial America” episode on State of Montana.

That’s beautiful country!

I’ve never traveled much from my very rural part of upstate New York. Lots of places I’ll never see.

Several years ago, there was a TV show about several different farm families in Montana. Caught my eye then as well.

I know we have several active OTT members from Montana.

Just wanted to pass along how nice an area it appears to be, at least in the summer months....😎

Reactions: 1 user

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
My wife and I traveled a lot in Europe, the UK, did a Nile cruise and have been to Japan 3 times and Tahiti twice and since getting older and hate all the problems with flying such as cramming as many people on a plane as possible, security check points, long lines etc. We have been doing road trips (before COVID) and driving cross country visiting sights such as Dead Wood, SD, Tombstone, AZ, Dodge City, KS, and lots of other places and always go thru St. Louis to visit my cousin either on the way out or on returning. Can't wait for this COVID thing to be over so we can get back on the road again as someone famous once said in a song.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
You should visit the west and see the country.
THIS ^^^^
I was a long distance motorcycle rider. The west is an awesome place to visit. Glacier National Park in NW Montana is just a gem. Right next to Montana you have Yellowstone. In to the SE you have South Dakota.

Even in a car or RV there is so much to see! One year my son & I rode to GNP but got there before the road was open (still snowed in, in June). We rode around Flathead Lake - just beautiful country to get lost in.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The northern half 1/2 of Idaho is the same kind of terrain as Montana, It is truly beautiful up here.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My wife and I agree that Montana is a wonderful place which is why we moved here. We fell in love during one of our first trips to Yellowstone, and just needed to find the right time to move. Montana has several distinct climates, personalities, and types of terrain.

Most people refuse to consider Montana because it has the reputation of having awful Winters. While that is true in parts of the state, it’s definitely not true for other parts.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have literally mapped roads and terrain, all through out the West. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Utah mostly. So I have driven thru and on every road, trail and highway in large blocks of areas in these states.
N Idaho is where we landed, with reason. I truly enjoyed seeing all the historical places, and regions. You see so much more driving all the back roads, and not always on the interstates. From ancient native villages, American battle fields, pioneer history, etc. Even followed parts of the Pony express and Oregon trails. There is SO MUCH history out here too.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You should visit the west and see the country.
Couldn’t agree more....unfortunately, I was born/raised a dairy farm-boy.

It was a long time ago.

My experience with dairy farmers is they don’t venture far from the home turf. They don't travel well, anyway.

Old saying goes “you can take the boy out of the farm, but you can’t take the farm out of the boy”....

Guess I resemble that remark...😳

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Number 2 son now lives in Boise. We visited him last summer and spent a day in the McCall, Idaho area over the 4th of July. Beautiful country! But we didn't see nary a one Kubota tractor in the area! o_O
Hope to visit again this coming summer.

Re: North Dakota.............Custer was alive and well when he left North Dakota.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I visited Little Bighorn this past Winter. It’s very cool place. Unfortunately, the visitor center wasn’t open, but all of the sights were. They had those tall plackards along the driving trail to read. When we visited, it was a bit cold to walk the entire trail. I hope to do that again in Summer.

Btw, they have fallen heroes from several wars buried there as well.

Reactions: 1 users

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
3BE5ADD4-ECF7-479B-8FD6-0D1577C31EF5.png
If you ever have time, you can follow the trails of the Calvary for 1 1/2 years leading up to Custers bungling last stand. There were many skirmishes and small battles leading up to the biggie. We covered a hundred miles of the river range.
3BE5ADD4-ECF7-479B-8FD6-0D1577C31EF5.png

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I cannot find the pics I took of the Native Indian encampments locations. There were very old B&W pics of Native ( large cities) expansive villages. I took modern pics from the same locations, of what the areas look like today. Not much has changed, except no teepees. Most of the land is BLM, with limited private ranch land inserted here and there.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Couldn’t agree more....unfortunately, I was born/raised a dairy farm-boy.

It was a long time ago.

My experience with dairy farmers is they don’t venture far from the home turf. They don't travel well, anyway.

Old saying goes “you can take the boy out of the farm, but you can’t take the farm out of the boy”....

Guess I resemble that remark...😳
I also grew on a dairy farm, in northeastern Pennsylvania. Got drafted during the Vietnam era, ended up in the Navy and of all places to send a new sailor my first duty station was in Nevada. I fell in love - no fences, no "blue laws", wide open spaces with real mountains. So after my time in the Navy I said so long to my parents and moved right back to Nevada. That was nearly 50 years ago...got a few acres now and an old John Deere and a Kubota to play on so I can keep on being a "farm boy".

Montana is nice - been there many times. But I prefer the desert.

Nevada:
P1080720er.jpg

Love Utah also:
XT225 Hite Crossing  er 2011.jpg

Reactions: 2 users