Mods to "Search" needed

rScotty

Equipment
Kubota M59, JD530, Deere 310SG
Aug 19, 2010
Colorado Mountains
The default on the search algorithm is set too short. Please modify it.
When I try to search any forum using my tractor's model which is an M59, I get the following message:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : M59

thanks, rScotty

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Last edited:

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey rScotty -

The reason the system prevents smaller search terms (3 characters or less) is because it puts a lot of strain on the server to search for small worlds like that. For example, someone could search for "the" and the search results would be nearly every post/thread ever created. The site might crash or at the very least, service would be degraded until the search was complete.

phaser has the right idea - you can leverage Google's much bigger hardware to do some of the heavy lifting. It's possible to filter your search to just a specific site, in this case, orangetractortalks.com.

So in short - we cannot relax this constraint without putting the site's performance at risk but there is a workaround.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sometimes I go to Google and ask like a specific question to get an answer. So maybe try "How do I repair xxx on a Kubota M59"

rScotty

Equipment
Kubota M59, JD530, Deere 310SG
Aug 19, 2010
Colorado Mountains
Hey rScotty -

The reason the system prevents smaller search terms (3 characters or less) is because it puts a lot of strain on the server to search for small worlds like that. For example, someone could search for "the" and the search results would be nearly every post/thread ever created. The site might crash or at the very least, service would be degraded until the search was complete.

phaser has the right idea - you can leverage Google's much bigger hardware to do some of the heavy lifting. It's possible to filter your search to just a specific site, in this case, orangetractortalks.com.

So in short - we cannot relax this constraint without putting the site's performance at risk but there is a workaround.
Yes, Phaser has the right idea, but his method doesn't seem to work either. What is the limit on search characters? Any more suggestions? The shot search term limitation you mention doesn't seem to be a problem with other sites. What are they doing differently?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yes, Phaser has the right idea, but his method doesn't seem to work either. What is the limit on search characters? Any more suggestions? The shot search term limitation you mention doesn't seem to be a problem with other sites. What are they doing differently?
I've done what I think Phaser is saying.
In Google (not sure if this works with other search engines), type "M59 site:www.orangetractortalks.com". It's a little clunky, but it gets the job done.