Modifying bucket teeth on backhoe?

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I have been needing to use the backhoe on my BX25 to dig up roots and am realizing the usefulness of BH bucket implements like the ripper tooth (which I don't have)

Has anyone experimented with adding a mini ripper tooth onto an existing bucket tooth?

Or replaced a bucket tooth for one of a different type?

I'm not finding many that are bolt-on, and certainly not many that are reasonable in price ($30 per tooth).

I like the idea of retaining the bucket for scooping but would like slightly different teeth for tearing into roots etc.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Go to Google and click on Images and type in Ripping bucket and take a look, I think that may be what you're looking for. Not sure if they are made for tractors as small as a BX25.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have been needing to use the backhoe on my BX25 to dig up roots and am realizing the usefulness of BH bucket implements like the ripper tooth (which I don't have)

Has anyone experimented with adding a mini ripper tooth onto an existing bucket tooth?

Or replaced a bucket tooth for one of a different type?

I'm not finding many that are bolt-on, and certainly not many that are reasonable in price ($30 per tooth).

I like the idea of retaining the bucket for scooping but would like slightly different teeth for tearing into roots etc.
I too want something just like that, not sure to "build" a new mini bucket, much like a ripper or like you said, make an extended tooth.... post a picture if you find one that works well

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
I took my backhoe teeth off. I think they are to big for the size bucket. years ago I operated a Ditch Witch quite a bit and the teeth on it were half the size. I also dug basements with a 5 ft straight edge bucket, Case 480x.
The teeth will be advantageous for ripping roots or digging in dirt with rocks and gravel.
If I can find the smaller teeth I may put them on. For now the flat edge works fine.
Bill W.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
No idea how to help, but I'll be watching with interest.

My 2150 came with frame and Bradco hoe. But the PO swapped on a bigger 12" (IIRC?) bucket, one that I believe is a bit too big for the hoe. At least the hoe shows signs of repairs below the top/first joint right where overloaded hoes generally break (or so it seems). Anyway, it doesn't appear to be too hard to swap buckets (famous last words), so my plan was to keep the big bucket and make a smaller ripper bucket for general use in this super hard AZ caliche clay soil. Probably only 8, or even 6" wide. Narrow enough to get enough PSI loading to break through this soil, but still MUCH faster and easier than a pick and shovel.

But then I start thinking about teeth. I don't want huge teeth for general work where I may be looking for lines and such. But I want huge teeth for ripping through hard soil and getting around/under rocks. So further reading shows a variety of options where you can put a ripper finger similar to a sub-soiler or box ripper onto the back/bottom of the bucket with a sort of quick mount. That lets me have both the smaller gentler (or no?) teeth for the bucket, but still get ripper performance when I need it, and even use it for narrow trenching.

That's what I'm thinking will be my ultimate solution, and might work for you?

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I fabricated a ripper tooth for my BX for dealing with roots, rocks....I even use it for laying down underground wiring. Its been more beneficial to me than the actual bucket. The tractor don't work as hard digging roots with it as well.
Here's a few photos of it. My next project is to build a back hoe quick change for the machine so the change over from bucket to tooth will be less than a minute compared to the 5 minutes I take now for the change over.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Wildfire,

I admire your ambition!

You will put in hours to build something that will save 4 minutes, I think you may have modification addiction! I doubt there is a cure.

Be sure the link us to updates on it!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wish I could do stuff like that to save 4 minuets,, Im getting to fat and old to be digging and choppin

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Wildfire,

I admire your ambition!

You will put in hours to build something that will save 4 minutes, I think you may have modification addiction! I doubt there is a cure.

Be sure the link us to updates on it!
An addiction it could be and yes it will take hours to design and fabricate a quick change system BUT over the life of the modification it will save me days in the amount of time I will eventually use it :D

Check Wildfire out! He doesn't even take off his TIG gloves to do a little tractoring.
Man I use tig gloves for just about everything. They are so comfy :)

Wish I could do stuff like that to save 4 minuets,, Im getting to fat and old to be digging and choppin
I doubt that's the case with you my friend.
As I said above " four minutes each time I change from bucket to claw spread over the life of the machine equates to days saved in time". I think its a worth while investment and its all in how you do the math in your head :cool:

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think its a worth while investment and its all in how you do the math in your head :cool:
Don't even worry about the head math - just do it - you enjoy designing and building the mod and then you have the only one just like it.

The "four minute savings" was just too funny (to me) to pass up ribbing you about!