Modifying an equipment trailer for the M6060.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So here's the issue. I like the spacing of the rear wheels on the M6060 at the widest setting which results in a track width of 86". My equipment trailer has 82" between the fenders, 100-1/2" outside to outside on the fenders, and 86" rail to rail, so I need to fabricate something to allow me to drive over the fenders. Has anyone done anything similar? I have a bunch of H-beams that I could use but I'm wondering if it's going to be a challenge backing onto and over the fenders.

I really don't want to buy another trailer if I can help it and I need to transport the M to a friend's property this fall, so any great ideas? Ideally whatever I do would be "easily" removable or at least not prevent the MX from fitting between the fenders.

One idea would be to cut a fender shaped profile out of some suitably sized lumber with the profile of the wood being proud of the fender by some amount. I would like to provide support to as much of the rear tires as possible. I guess I could make something similar out of H-beam and 1/2" plate but it would be heavy.

midsota_trailer.jpg

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Could you mod the fenders to be removable? Then you can pop them off for loading, and reinstall once its loaded, this is common on open car haulers so you can swing the drivers door open.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Could you mod the fenders to be removable? Then you can pop them off for loading, and reinstall once its loaded, this is common on open car haulers so you can swing the drivers door open.
Interesting idea, and one that never occurred to me. So I'd drive over/on the tires with the fenders off? The wheels are very close to the frame, so with the fenders off I think the M tires would contact the trailer tires. Also, the fenders are welded on in numerous places so it'd be a pain to get them off.

Maybe strengthening the fenders would be a good idea, but I notice that drive over fenders have an easier approach/departure angle.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
lol oh crap i didnt notice that your track width would fall outside the deck and hit the tires, thats not gonna work

when you order a new wider trailer buy one thats two feet longer for good measure :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
lol oh crap i didnt notice that your track width would fall outside the deck and hit the tires, thats not gonna work

when you order a new wider trailer buy one thats two feet longer for good measure :ROFLMAO:
I'm thinking a rectangular steel tubing frame with diamond plate on the top surfaces, to mimic the drive over fenders found on the super-wide 102" deck width trailers. These would sit inside the existing fenders and keep the M tires off the fenders. I could bolt them through the deck/frame temporarily so that they don't move during loading/unloading.

Last edited:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I would say buy a trailer that fits and sell/trade your.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
It might be hard to notice after a while if your tractor tires were 5 inches narrower. I would go with the easiest solution and give it a few months. Good luck.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would say buy a trailer that fits and sell/trade your.
I'd prefer not to sell this trailer. I have four trailers and it's easily the one that I use the most. It's a perfect size other than the fenders, and I don't want a super-wide or a deck over. And with the cost of new trailers and the fact that got this one for a really good price it would be crazy to part with it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It might be hard to notice after a while if your tractor tires were 5 inches narrower. I would go with the easiest solution and give it a few months. Good luck.
There's always that. I'd have to get the spacing changed to the second narrowest which wouldn't be ideal for plowing and would reduce stability. Also, my property is fairly hilly so I'd like to keep the rear wheel spacing as wide as possible.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's one concept consisting of 2"x1" steel tubing and 3/16" diamond plate, although the plate could be replaced with 2"x2" angle spaced every 6" or so. These would sit inside the existing fenders and would offer easier approach/departure angles. They're 12" wide and 10" tall to match the fenders. Most of the rear tires would be on these ramps with around 2" of each tire on the fenders, assuming that the tractor was perfectly aligned with the trailer.

If I made a pair of these I could use them as ramps when doing oil changes on the truck! :p

ramp2.png

ramp.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Here's one concept consisting of 2"x1" steel tubing and 3/16" diamond plate, although the plate could be replaced with 2"x2" angle spaced every 6" or so. These would sit inside the existing fenders and would offer easier approach/departure angles. They're 12" wide and 10" tall to match the fenders. Most of the rear tires would be on these ramps with around 2" of each tire on the fenders, assuming that the tractor was perfectly aligned with the trailer.

If I made a pair of these I could use them as ramps when doing oil changes on the truck! :p

View attachment 86124

View attachment 86123
I like that, Always there when you want them, and not when you don't. Also probably faster and cheaper than trading trailers.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I like that, Always there when you want them, and not when you don't. Also probably faster and cheaper than trading trailers.
Definitely a better way forward than selling a really good trailer and looking for a replacement that I won't like as much. I'll figure out the weight and the cost to make these ramps and make a decision on this in the very near future. It wouldn't take long to make and I'd probably use .125" wall tubing and might add additional cross members to increase lateral rigidity.

If there's a better solution I really am open to building a nicer mousetrap.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
That’s a wide tractor at 86 inches…Trailers are high demand. Good time to sell as you’ll probably get more than you paid for it. Prices literally 2x from precovid. Of course you’d have to upgrade to trailer with no fenders since you don’t want to go wider. I don’t really see another way unless you really fundamentally change the structure to raise the deck. I wouldn’t bother IMO.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Trailers are high demand. Good time to sell as you’ll probably get more than you paid for it. Prices literally 2x from precovid.
^ this is an excellent approach worth considering ^

I recently sold a 6-year-old 20' 7,000lb equipment trailer for a brand new 22' 15,000lb equipment trailer, and the cost out of pocket was only about $1000 because of how strong the subsidy was from the old one. If you get a larger trailer I think you'll appreciate not having to 'make it work'. No drama load and go is pretty sweet.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
might look at what 'heavy construction' trailers have as 'outriggers' or whatever they call them ,that allow excavators to have their tracks on the trailer and not overhang.
You do need something STRONG to carry the weight ( ??? ), pretty sure the fenders won't support . Might depend on driving on, or backing tractor onto trailer ??
??, will the trailer still be 'legal' with whatever additional weight the extra steel/wood adds ??

?? how often do you NEED this configuration ?? Could you just rent a trailer or have the tractor 'floated' ? Might be cheaper, easier,safer ??
A friend sold his 'float rig', truck and trailer. cost less to have someone else do it 2x a month than own.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
^ this is an excellent approach worth considering ^

I recently sold a 6-year-old 20' 7,000lb equipment trailer for a brand new 22' 15,000lb equipment trailer, and the cost out of pocket was only about $1000 because of how strong the subsidy was from the old one. If you get a larger trailer I think you'll appreciate not having to 'make it work'. No drama load and go is pretty sweet.
What I might do is look at a deck over goose neck trailer if I can see a way to make the M1078 work with a goose neck receiver. I have a SnugTop and Decked drawer system on my F250 so no option for a goose neck trailer there. For the time being, I'll either borrow a friend's trailer or make something up for the MidSota that will allow me to get the M6060 on there.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
lol yes! i like where this is going :ROFLMAO:
The LMTV ships on the 9th so I should have it by the end of September. First up is to make a standard bumper pull receiver. It comes with a rotating pintle receiver for offroad use. My friend in Hawaii sent me these photos of a couple of cool upgrades including a receiver and ladder/roof rack.

As a pilot I'm sure you'd like the layout and controls. There's no ignition key, just a switch to throw followed by a push-button start. There are pressure gauges for the front and rear air brakes, and the engine and transmission use the same oil. :D

receiver.jpg

ladder.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That is awesome! I’m compelled to drive one now lol
I'm going to update the thread I have on the M1078 since my friend sent me some videos this afternoon.