Modified my forks to help with tree removal

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Just a cheap little mod that helps a lot when cutting trees. Just welded a large bolt to the top of my pallet, and ground it off in the shape of a spike. This spike sticks in the tree and gives me a lot more control of the tree.

The spike in a tree

Some of the trees I have cut down using the tractor, and piled up. The pile is much larger than it looks in the pics. I am trying to remove all the pine from around my pond ( in the background you can see the pond).

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Looks like a lot of work to do... Whats the plan with the pond? Breed fish? :)

carl

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
helomech, great idea! And thanks for posting the pictures. We all like to see what our fellow OTT folks are doing. However a word of caution from this corner. I was using my FEL in a similar fashion and thought I was cutting the tree down correctly and in the right direction. But the tree had a mind of its own and went in a direction about 45 degrees from what I'd planned. Luckly, it popped off the FEL and fell harmlessly. But there for a few seconds, my butt had a tremendous suction to the tractor's seat! Something else to watch that has nothing to do with tractors. Be sure to watch your pond dam in all the places where you cut down the trees. As the roots rot, they can leave small tubes for water to start piping through your pond dam and could potentially wash it out. You are ok for a couple of years, but I'd watch it starting in 3 or 4 years. Good Luck!

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Looks like a lot of work to do... Whats the plan with the pond? Breed fish? :)

carl
Yes, lots of work, and hardly put a dent in it yet.

It is just for recreation and food. We have bass, red eared perch, and channel catfish in it. Me and my youngest son love to get in the little boat and ride around catching fish. Great way to relax.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
helomech, great idea! And thanks for posting the pictures. We all like to see what our fellow OTT folks are doing. However a word of caution from this corner. I was using my FEL in a similar fashion and thought I was cutting the tree down correctly and in the right direction. But the tree had a mind of its own and went in a direction about 45 degrees from what I'd planned. Luckly, it popped off the FEL and fell harmlessly. But there for a few seconds, my butt had a tremendous suction to the tractor's seat! Something else to watch that has nothing to do with tractors. Be sure to watch your pond dam in all the places where you cut down the trees. As the roots rot, they can leave small tubes for water to start piping through your pond dam and could potentially wash it out. You are ok for a couple of years, but I'd watch it starting in 3 or 4 years. Good Luck!
Thanks, and yes cutting trees is a dangerous thing to do. I am getting pretty good at it, but have had one go off to the side, with my brand new echo chainsaw caught. Luckily it didn't hurt the chainsaw, tractor or me.

And thanks for pointing out the damn. Going to have to keep an eye on that.