Modding old gas log splitter to new BX23S

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Found a non-running gas log splitter on CL for relatively cheap.
Can I drop the motor off this thing, fab a 3 point hitch, get the right flat top connectors and hook it up to my
backhoe hydraulics?

View attachment 69051
MAN that's a nice find ! Looks like it was used once. Rebuild the carb, clean out tank, put tube in tire,then air in tube...'should' be good to go. yes there are pros and cons to making it work off the BX23S oil, but unless you tear down that cylinder and valve and hose for a PROPER cleaning, 'some' of the old oil will still be there. Maybe, probably, unlikely a few dribbles will hurt your tractor, but why take the chance ? A stand alone splitter does give you waaay more options,like haul to a tree and have the kids split wood,while you use tractor elsewhere. I quickly fabbed a 'towtruck' adapter for my BX23S,Some 1/2" water pipe, fittings, and a hook. Mounts in the 'thumb' holes,rests onthe bucket,allows me to tow dead riders here and there. Something similar would allow you to tow the splitter anywhere.
I'd slowly pull the starter cord, see if engine rotates,then clean carb, etc. try to get engine to run. odds are real good ,it'll be fine. BTW if it doesn't spin, remove the starter housing, bet there's a HUGE 'house hose' in there ! Just did a neighbour's snowblower..2/3rds FULL ! A mouse condo !

Reactions: 1 user

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
Assuming the original engine is in fact pooched, I'll put in another vote for the Harbor Freight engine swap. I have repowered a snow blower and a rototiller with the 212cc/6.5hp Predator engine and I can't say enough good things about them.

But yeah, I'd see what is wrong with the original engine first. The snowblower I repowered was a freebie - the ad simply said "doesn't run". When I got it home, I found the entire cylinder had broken away from the engine block. I had a good laugh about it, in any case... That was a 7.5 ho OHV Briggs and the HF engine has no lack of power even though it is supposedly 1 hp less.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Having thought about this a little....
If this were my project, like said.... I would first see if the engine could be made to run.. If not.... I would look for a Honda replacement option...
With knowing what Honda replacement model will work, if and then you could look for a Chinese model equivalent to the Honda.. This will likely be a money saving option..

This as I have been told the Chinese copy of the Honda engines are a big step up from China copies of other brands...

You don't have anything to loose either way..

My 5 cents of knowledge about this..

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
OP here.
Looks like I got some reading to do, thanks for the comments so far.
After consulting with my hydraulics expert buddy, he has the same concerns as the rest of you.
I really don't want to contaminate my nice new pretty SUDT2 fluid with anything else, even new stuff he said will have crappy oils mixed within it.
He mentioned seperate PTO driven pump too, but the pump would and materials would cost as much as a decent tow behind.......so then finally he suggested.......using the backhoe:

Not entirely sure its strong enough on a BX23, but it will be fun to try. Fabbing/creating some sort of backhoe ripper/shear in double shear formation. Basically an Excavator Stump shear.
I like it.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I highly doubt the BX's hydraulic flow will be enough not to mention slow going with very short reach. Note the track loader being used in the video. Even if it did work you will be throwing wood at it or constantly flipping the seat around to travel to the wood.
Like I said before as long as the splitter you picked up isn't stuck then it likely will run with just a little TLC. If I was closer to you I would take that splitter off your hands with a grin from ear to ear!

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
im a little late to the party but i will add my experience.. i have borrowed a stand alone from a friend of mine a few times; and helped another friend with a 50hp 3pt splitter. The stand alone is way faster. if it was something you only needed once in a while, IMO if the valving on the stand alone you have is compatible with the PB on the tractor i personally say hook it up! if its something youre going to be splitting a pile of wood with on a regular basis id rebuild or replace the engine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK my 2 1/2 cents yes yes yes do try to get the motor running, unless it has parts hanging out of the block. OK if it is toast, yes HF predator motors are right up ther with BS and Honda. A lot of gut down south use them for mud motors and they abuse the snot out of them. Now if you are heart set on making a 3 point out of it, remember you do not have enough hydro flow to run it efficiently, so that leaves you to use the hydro pump thats already on the splitter and you dont have to worry about mixing oils and it becomes a self contained system. My bet would be the carb is all gummed up, because someone left gas in it. Take it off and apart clean it well and if the motor has oil Im betting it will start

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK my 2 1/2 cents yes yes yes do try to get the motor running, unless it has parts hanging out of the block. OK if it is toast, yes HF predator motors are right up ther with BS and Honda. A lot of gut down south use them for mud motors and they abuse the snot out of them. Now if you are heart set on making a 3 point out of it, remember you do not have enough hydro flow to run it efficiently, so that leaves you to use the hydro pump thats already on the splitter and you dont have to worry about mixing oils and it becomes a self contained system. My bet would be the carb is all gummed up, because someone left gas in it. Take it off and apart clean it well and if the motor has oil Im betting it will start
I will raise you a nickle.

That pump is a two stage pump designed to mount on a small engine crankshaft and run at 3600 RPM. At 540 it will be slower than running off the tractor hydraulics. If he is going to use it he will have to fix or replace the engine. He is not going to run it off the tractor PTO.

In the last 30 years I have split cords upon cords of wood with a 3pt splitter and a 4 GPM tractor. It may not be optimal but if you only split a few cords a year it works just fine and beats the crap out of swinging a hammer.

he old hydraulic oil is a non-issue - just flush the cylinder and lines before you hook it up and you are good to go,

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

PS> If I were the OP I would already have:
  1. Fixed the flats
  2. Put a hitch ball on the tractor so I could tow it
  3. Drained and flushed the splitter valve and cylinder
  4. Purchased a couple quick couplers and two hoses and hooked it up to the PB on my loader valve
  5. Split a cord or so of wood while I evaluated the speed and mulled over my longer term options.

Dan

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All good points my friend, I guess I was more or less trying to point him toward another motor, and if his heart was set for a 3 point to use the 2 stage pump off the splitter. I did neglect to mention about doing a gear drive build to bring the pump up to 3600rpm,, good catch! And it would save him from cutting into his hydro system :)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
All good points my friend, I guess I was more or less trying to point him toward another motor, and if his heart was set for a 3 point to use the 2 stage pump off the splitter. I did neglect to mention about doing a gear drive build to bring the pump up to 3600rpm,, good catch! And it would save him from cutting into his hydro system :)
Well Skeets it was easy to spot because I have been down this road many years ago. You need a 7:1 step up ratio and an outboard bearing on the pump input shaft. That is neither easy nor cheap to build. Stick to fixing or replacing the engine - it will be easier and cheaper.

Dan

Last edited: