Modded Golf Carts??

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Post some pics of your Modded or Not.. golf carts..

I've had this cart for 12 years since my father passed, he probably got it when it was a few years old.. retired from a golf course. It's a 2001 G16 Yamaha gas with a clutch kit, B&M shifter lol, SS wheels, 500lb rear springs on top of a 6" lift. Harley front chrome shocks, custom steering wheel with turn signals, flashers, horn, led lights, back-up lights, and the rear seat folds down with a diamond plate bed for hauling, plus a 2" receiver, I think that's about it.

It's mainly used for yard work but occasionally it gets driven around our country blocks.. my chihuahua loves it!
66AE9FE8-0792-48FE-947C-1B05FBAADA69.jpeg
511E6EFE-6D8A-4D18-BF80-83C85C6D33EB.jpeg

Post em up!

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Post some pics of your Modded or Not.. golf carts..

I've had this cart for 12 years since my father passed, he probably got it when it was a few years old.. retired from a golf course. It's a 2001 G16 Yamaha gas with a clutch kit, B&M shifter lol, SS wheels, 500lb rear springs on top of a 6" lift. Harley front chrome shocks, custom steering wheel with turn signals, flashers, horn, led lights, back-up lights, and the rear seat folds down with a diamond plate bed for hauling, plus a 2" receiver, I think that's about it.

It's mainly used for yard work but occasionally it gets driven around our country blocks.. my chihuahua loves it! View attachment 82533 View attachment 82534

Post em up!
My yellow Lab, Sadie, just loves to ride in my 48V Club Car.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
My father called this a golf cart first time he saw it, and I did mod it by putting a winch on the front, which required inordinate amounts of disassembly and reassembly of large portions of the front half of the machine. Does that count?
1D080DD9-5F5E-4B40-B1F7-8633733E3762.jpeg
A6564B3C-392B-4EB3-B9CA-AB4B97B8000D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
If that's a golf cart, it looks like a pretty tough course.

• Haha

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Back when lifted carts were the rage, I built Lil Foot, my namesake. When my buddies first saw it, they said it looked like Big Foot, only little, and the name stuck.

It started life as a '96 GXT804 EZGO Turf Truck, with a 6.5hp Robin Subaru parallel twin, and it was rated the same capacity as a 1/2 ton truck. This particular one was a ball picker on a driving range.
It now has a 16hp B&S V-Twin, power dump bed, 2000 lb winch, 6+" of lift, 25 x 13.50 x 10 Trailbreaker tires on 12" wide wheels, 2" wheel spacers on all four corners, and tons of Billet Aluminum.
It is street legal and will hit 36mph.
It is very capable offroad, and is flat out awesome in the dunes.

After running it for years, my wife's uncle in Indiana begged me to sell it to him for his place in the UP, which I did. He had it eleven years, then I bought it back, a little more scuffed up than it used to be, but still bulletproof and running like a top.
It lives with me here in Peoria, and my Rhino, (also pictured below) lives at my place in the high country.

126909544zcjaxG_ph[1].jpg
126908182nvFEEB_ph[1].jpg
Lil Foot&Rhino5.JPG
LF Golf cart1.JPG
rear from pass side.JPG
IMG_0663.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
ain't got no pic but I built one for dad. 1981 Model Yamaha G1A. I fitted a custom exhaust on it, removed both governors, installed the Yamaha Enticer top end, etc etc.

It runs about 45 mph if you got the guts and a wide enough roadway The front end is NOT worn out (LOL!!).

and it's ug-leee! Perfect sleeper.

He uses it to run around at the drag strip when he's there. Fastest cart on golf cart race day. Interesting thing about the G1A. It does not have a reverse gear. The keyswitch has R-N-F positions. When you put it in F, mash the throttle and it takes off. Neutral is just off. Reverse....here's where it gets weird. The engine runs backwards. Thats reverse. with the Enticer top end, the port timing is different as is the ignition timing so reverse is very very weak, sometimes it doesn't want to start at all. But it runs fine in forward, and it moves on out.

I did a Yamaha Drive a while back, controller, LI-Ion conversion, gears, etc. It runs really well too but nowhere near 45. Maybe 30 tops on the stock size tires. I do a bunch of lift kits. Every single one of them affects the cart's handling negatively. The 6"-8" lifts suck to drive. Ok to putt around on but that's about it. And they look kinda cool.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Just picked up this 2012 electric Yamaha from golf course sale. Wife wants it pink for grand daughter (due in August). Pugs want their own dog seats!

I want something in exchange, for my Kubota;)

1B4A9C0B-51BD-40AD-BDF1-EDAA5D522EB8.jpeg

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Hey orange, that’s the coolest golf cart I’ve ever seen! 😎
Thanks Steve.. wish it was 4x4, I'd be set!
Got rid of 2 Rzr's and a Rhino and all was modified heavily but not near as Stealth as the cart!😉

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Back when lifted carts were the rage, I built Lil Foot, my namesake. When my buddies first saw it, they said it looked like Big Foot, only little, and the name stuck.

It started life as a '96 GXT804 EZGO Turf Truck, with a 6.5hp Robin Subaru parallel twin, and it was rated the same capacity as a 1/2 ton truck. This particular one was a ball picker on a driving range.
It now has a 16hp B&S V-Twin, power dump bed, 2000 lb winch, 6+" of lift, 25 x 13.50 x 10 Trailbreaker tires on 12" wide wheels, 2" wheel spacers on a four corners, and tons of Billet Aluminum.
It is street legal and will hit 36mph.
It is very capable offroad, and is flat out awesome in the dunes.

After running it for years, my wife's uncle in Indiana begged me to sell it to him for his place in the UP, which I did. He had it eleven years, then I bought it back, a little more scuffed up than it used to be, but still bulletproof and running like a top.
It lives with me here in Peoria, and my Rhino, (also pictured below) lives at my place in the high country.

View attachment 82545 View attachment 82546 View attachment 82547 View attachment 82548 View attachment 82549 View attachment 82550
I really like that rhino trailer.. did you change plastics or is this a different one?
I'm thinking mine was 08 model, can't remember, I had it pretty decked out too. Never found a place I couldn't go in it but had some scary rides!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Mine was originally green, ('04) but when the blue version came out, I ordered a set of blue.
Turns out they had the price wrong in the computer, and I got a set at Yamaha's cost. ($231, I think?)
Sold my used greens for $350.
Trailer frame is one of those HF cheapies I bought for $20, aluminum bed was a light weight prototype from a California Rhino aftermarket company I worked with back in the day, (free), fenders & tail lights are off my buddy's rolled Rhino. (free) Wheels & tires are from my first lifted golf cart.
IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0664.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have also added a locking box to the front of the Rhino trailer since those pics were taken.

IMG_0022 4.11.45 PM.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
we just got 6 fleet carts in (Yamaha Drive2's)-all gas.

we can't hardly sell them.

3 local golf courses. They all mandate electric only carts. NO GAS carts are allowed on the course (at all).

......well.....we (dealer) can't get electric carts. In 2022 we got ONE, a lithium drive2. We typically sell 110-150 carts a year on average. Due to "supply chain issues" (Per yamaha rep), we, the highest volume dealer in the state, can't get but one electric cart and then the 3 golf courses won't allow gas carts.

So if you are living on the course or if you frequent any one of the three, you're either walking, or you're gonna have to go find you an electric cart somewhere, I'm hearing that they are nonexistent since the demand for them is high and the supply is nonexistent.

Of all of the carts I work on, about 200 a year on average, out of all of those about 175 are electric. Why? They wear out. The DC motors have brush style motors, and the brushes wear out. Have replaced a TON of controllers in the last year-that's the part that the entire electrical system is connected to, and that controller deciphers all of that electrical data and then controls the traction motor. AC units we don't put motors in (brushless) very often, the ones we do, the owners are using them for tractors or whatever and they just burn them up. I did one AC motor this year, that one the splines were just ripped out of the transmission coupler and of course it also damaged the motor's arm shaft. Rest were all DC units, LOTS of batteries since folks don't know how to take care of batteries. On that note, I've had to replace a couple of frames too. Some folks like to install a battery watering system on their flooded batteries, and that almost always overfills the batteries, they vent/leak and the leakage rusts the frames out. Some mfg have gone to aluminum frames and that helps but it doesn't solve it completely. BAttery acid is bad stuff. Ruins concrete too. Gives off hydrogen so you have to be mindful when charging (no smoking). Of all of the gas units I have worked on, most of them required very very little. Tires, oil changes, air filters. One or two I had to put brakes on. Several, have tens of thousands of miles on them with no major failures just lots of tires, bushings, etc.

On the polaris EV Rangers, I've been having to replace a few frames on those too-same reason. Overfilled, rusts the frame completely out. Not much you can do, you can't really cut the frame section out most of the time because there isn't anything but rust to weld to, and you can't weld to rust very well. They have Lithium units too and people often burn the motors up on them, which are pretty expensive (and a pain in the butt) to replace. 2 or 3 controllers. One caught fire, no reason why, while on the charger (lithium)-burned his EV and his shop. Insurance paid it. Maybe the charger failed? Maybe wiring issue? My coworker is a full time firefighter and inspector with the fire dept, he looked that particular EV over well looking for the source of the fire and it appears to have started at the charger, to him, but it was SO burnt up that his own inspection was inconclusive. But, Polaris is coming out with a new EV, which I've had the opportunity to play with a little (the ranger Kinetic). I really like it for it's purpose. I might buy one, dunno yet. Right now you can't get them again because of supply chain issues. They were supposed to be "released" this summer, but they sent out a bulletin pushing it back indefinitely. As I said before they wanna push Electric vehicles but they ain't got no idea how to implement the mass-production because of supply chain issues. The Americans CAN build controllers motors etc but they won't because if we have to pay an American company $5000 for a controller that we can get overseas for $300, that makes the cost of the vehicle rise, and people can't afford them already much less putting even more costs into it, making them unaffordable but for only the ultra-rich folks of which I are not. The costs are gonna have to come down and the supply of parts to make them is going to have to come online before people buy them.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Surely there's more!😁