Mmm or 3 pt.?

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Looking for thoughts from those who have used both. I hope to be buying a new tractor this year and have only experienced a mmm. I think I would miss being able to get close and the vision to look straight down and see the edge of the deck right next to the tree( within an inch). I know it would be so nice to be able to take it off the 3 pt. for grading gravel drive or using the loader. I am seriously thinking about the LX 3310 with cab. My old 770 has been awesome but I am looking forward to some creature comforts for my aging body. I really appreciate comments from those who have used both on the same piece of property. Thanks

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Only have MMM. Good news is the cab, I'd put a backup camera in cab to monitor RM deck. Advantages of RM, easier to service all grease zerks are accessible, more likey to get regular greasing. Spruce, pine trees and some fences you can back mower under these obstacles.

Disadvantage, mowing in tight spots

Never had a cab, not sure how visible MMM would be. I'll let others inform both of us.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard. Everyone has their favorite implements and are convinced that anyone who chooses something different must be making a big mistake:)

That said, rear finish mowers have been best for me. After one MMM the next 4 have been RFM's. After using a rear mower for a while, cutting around things gets pretty easy. I like being able to mow under low branches on our pines. I can either head for them and swing a turn so the deck goes wide or back under them.

My first mower was a 60" MMM and it did a fine job. As you mentioned it was very handy with respect to seeing exactly where it was cutting. Seeing where I was headed didn't save the snake or the box turtle though. Both cases by the time reacted, the mower was already eating them before I could stop. This was on an ancient tractor (Cub 154 LoBoy) and it took me a good part of the day if I needed to put the blade on to dress up the gravel driveway. It had a mounting system that was definitely NOT user friendly. At the first opportunity to replace that tractor it was clear that it was time to try a rear mower. Still have that old Ford 1210 that we got in 1991 and the side discharge Caroni 5 footer that was new back then is now being combined with another one from Craigslist to make one good deck.

In '02 we bought a Kubota B7500. That had a 60" Land Pride side discharge. In 2012 the B7500 was repalced with an L3200 / rear discharge 6 footer. In late 2018 we picked up an L4240 that will probably be the final tractor. I was lucky to find a rear discharge 7-1/2' Caroni on craigslist that I refurbished last year.

EDIT: Missed the "cab". Built a cab for the L3200 in late 2012 and the L4240 has a factory cab. L3200 was heated only, so running in warm weather was with the doors off. Dust, pollen and to some extent bugs could be irritating. L4240 has A/C and is a lot more comfy year round. Neither caused any problem mowing with the rear mower. The factory cab has glass all the way to the floor, so I would expect it to be OK with a MMM.

Last edited:

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Thank you for that info, very helpful. It definitely makes me less afraid of a 3 pt. I bought the 770 brand new in 98 and it has been a joy to own. I just put a Westendorf TA-111a loader on it two years ago. I wish I could keep it just for my woods tractor. Thanks again

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking for thoughts from those who have used both. I hope to be buying a new tractor this year and have only experienced a mmm. I think I would miss being able to get close and the vision to look straight down and see the edge of the deck right next to the tree( within an inch). I know it would be so nice to be able to take it off the 3 pt. for grading gravel drive or using the loader. I am seriously thinking about the LX 3310 with cab. My old 770 has been awesome but I am looking forward to some creature comforts for my aging body. I really appreciate comments from those who have used both on the same piece of property. Thanks
I've been mowing with various combinations of tractors and mowers, including MMMs and three point mounted mowers, for nearly 50 years and I would not even consider a three point mounted finish mower except in unusual circumstances.

Modern tractor mounted MMMs can be installed/removed in little more time (sometimes less) than can a three point mounted finish mower, should one need to do so, take up less mounted storage space and are much more maneuverable. Moreover, they are lighter, thus requiring less HP.

FWIW: I have a B3350 with (unused) 72" MMM that I am considering replacing with an LX3310. I also have a B1750HSDT (Bi-Speed Turn) with 60" MMM that I have been using to mow my one acre, irregularly shaped, obstacle infested and some places steep lawn since 1993. A three point mounted finish mower would add nearly 50% to the time required to mow this parcel and would greatly increase the likelihood of damaging just about everything.

Note: The tractor/mower combination vis a vis zero turn controversy is an entirely different issue which I have intentionally avoided.

SDT

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
SDT says, "Modern tractor mounted MMMs can be installed/removed in little more time (sometimes less) than can a three point mounted finish mower, should one need to do so, take up less mounted storage space and are much more maneuverable. Moreover, they are lighter, thus requiring less HP.

I've never been privileged enough to find a MMM that meets that criteria. For me, a MMM is for a machine dedicated to mowing.

If using 3pt implements, I don't want to have to remove and then install a MMM every time one is used. The negative aspect of a 3pt mower is it hangs back and requires a learning curve. A flail mower shortens up the extension behind the tractor and does an excellent job.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT says, "Modern tractor mounted MMMs can be installed/removed in little more time (sometimes less) than can a three point mounted finish mower, should one need to do so, take up less mounted storage space and are much more maneuverable. Moreover, they are lighter, thus requiring less HP.

I've never been privileged enough to find a MMM that meets that criteria. For me, a MMM is for a machine dedicated to mowing.

If using 3pt implements, I don't want to have to remove and then install a MMM every time one is used. The negative aspect of a 3pt mower is it hangs back and requires a learning curve. A flail mower shortens up the extension behind the tractor and does an excellent job.
I can mount or remove the MMMs from either my B1750 or B3350 in 20 minutes or less and often do not remove such to do other chores. Of course, doing so also involves a short earning curve.

Some of the currently available MMMs can be mounted/removed in much less time.

SDT

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
The old 770 takes me about 30-45 minutes. I am 57 with an artificial knee and I am not the most mobile guy. The killer is crawling under the back of the tractor and hooking up mid pto.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe consider a dedicated grass cutter ? If your current machine works fine, keep it as 'the mower'. Now go buy an 'early retirement' machine.
I have a dedicated grass cutter, another for snowblowing, one for lifting giant pumpkins, one for 'other stuff' and the BX23S for TLB operations....
I do NOT enjoy crawling on the ground at 67, bad knee, bifocals, etc... so I have 'dedicated' machines. It's made life pleasent.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I have used both, but mostly MMM. IHO, MMM wins, no doubt. now i have a bx, MMM comes on and off routinely, once a week or 2 weeks, less than 5 on or off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
If I end up with a new LX and a mmm that goes on and comes off in 15 min, and I do not have to lay on my back underneath the tractor I will be one happy dude.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
If I end up with a new LX and a mmm that goes on and comes off in 15 min, and I do not have to lay on my back underneath the tractor I will be one happy dude.
I'll believe that when I see it. Tractor Time With Time has several "green" videos, their's seem to work if properly adjusted.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'll believe that when I see it. Tractor Time With Time has several "green" videos, their's seem to work if properly adjusted.
These days, there are drive in MMMs.

Don't believe that Kubota has such (yet) but JD does.

SDT

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
With regard to time, the blue section is part of a previous post of mine. This is just a statement of fact on my personal experiences and should be easy to duplicate by anyone. I should mention that mowing the original 2-1/4 acres took the same time with either the 5' MMM or the 5' RFM using tractors with similar capabilities:

"My situation has some things in common with the OP's. We are now at 3-1/2 acres of mowing. Started out with 2-1/4 acres. When we had 2-1/4 it took about 90 minutes to mow with a 60" RFM. We got a 72" RFM when went to 3-1/2 acres, and it took the same amount of time to mow the larger area. We have trees, a creek, bridge, sheds, etc to mow around. Recently went with a 90" RFM and I've slowed down to enjoy life. It takes a tad over an hour with the big deck."

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a B2650 and a mmm. I dont think what you want is possible. You have to do up a couple of pins and the pto shaft under there. They require lying down at the very least.

An alternative workaround is to have your friendly local Kubota tech come out twice a year to put the deck on and take it off if you use the tractor for something else in the winter. Life is too short to not enjoy what you can do with a tractor because installing the implements is a battle.

If you need to do things with the loader in the summer, you can pin the deck up out of the way, more or less

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Maybe consider a dedicated grass cutter ? If your current machine works fine, keep it as 'the mower'. Now go buy an 'early retirement' machine.
I have a dedicated grass cutter, another for snowblowing, one for lifting giant pumpkins, one for 'other stuff' and the BX23S for TLB operations....
I do NOT enjoy crawling on the ground at 67, bad knee, bifocals, etc... so I have 'dedicated' machines. It's made life pleasent.
Had them both in the past and I'm like you, don't want to fiddle with an underslung mower, not that my current tractors can have one because they cannot.

To that end I use a 60" cut zero turn to mow with (my wife now has one as well), just like mine because we mow almost 5.5 acres.

To me, an underslung mower is only good for straight line mowing with no obstacles.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a B2650 and a mmm. I dont think what you want is possible. You have to do up a couple of pins and the pto shaft under there. They require lying down at the very least.

An alternative workaround is to have your friendly local Kubota tech come out twice a year to put the deck on and take it off if you use the tractor for something else in the winter. Life is too short to not enjoy what you can do with a tractor because installing the implements is a battle.

If you need to do things with the loader in the summer, you can pin the deck up out of the way, more or less
In my past experience is more less that more. That deck under there will severely limit your ground clearance for anything involving dirt.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Snowman7, I’ve used a 5 foot MMM on my old JD750 tractor for 25 years. It sure beat a push mower and even a small riding lawn mower. But I cussed every time I had to take it off to put something on the 3 point if the mower would’ve been in the way. If I mow everything all at once it’s probably 4+ acres. But I also use the tractor for backhoe work, tilling, cultivating, spraying, loader work, and anything else that comes up around here. With those different jobs popping up and with threat of rain always of concern, the MMM was on/off regularly and seldom (almost never) was left on between mowings. When things went well (and I was 25 yrs younger, too) it was only a 20 minute or less job to change implements with the MMM. But that’s 40 minutes to get it back to finish mowing again. Do that 2 or three times and you’ve wasted a good hour or more. Week after week during the summer it adds up to a lot of work.

Even with a big shed with concrete floor it was a pain to slide that MMM in and out from under the tractor and then hook up all the linkages. It might take up less storage space in the winter but you need double the space when you consider the room needed to get it under and out from the tractor’s belly. If I could have a dedicated mowing rig, the MMM would rule. But there goes that compact space and you lose some valuable floor space for your dedicated mower. Not to mention all the maintenance of that dedicated mower as well.

When my MMM was needing rebuilding I opted against it for the time being and bought a 3 point rear discharge finish mower. Three minutes on, three minutes off, sure made for some convenient swap out of implements. And no crawling under to hook up pto and no tugging and pulling to get the MMM out from underneath. Now it’s just back up, hook up and go. It can be dropped off anywhere….doesn’t need to be on a smooth hard surface like the old MMM.

I don’t have a one acre, irregularly shaped, obstacle infested and some places steep lawn so my circumstances must be unusual. I do have different sections of lawn, tight spaces, many trees of all kinds including pines, road ditches to mow, along with all the other duties that the compact tractor fulfills.
A MMM will shine in some circumstances and a 3 point finish mower shines in others. It’s a fast learning curve to mow with the rear mower and it takes no more time with that than it did with the MMM. Especially with the tight turn radius of the B2650 and the ease of backup/forward HST. You’ll quickly develop mowing patterns around your trees that will make it much easier than you think. Backing up into tight spaces is a breeze.

I’m glad I fought and struggled with a MMM when I was young! I’m like a kitten in a bowl of cream with my rear finish mower now behind the B2650. I lose no time in mowing with it and save both time and energy in being able to swap between implements so easily. And that is another big plus: I used to put off doing something because I had the MMM on and needed to mow again in a few days or after it dried up from a rain, etc., etc. It seemed it was never convenient to swap the mower out for a small task. And the conditions to do it in never seemed ideal. Maybe others always operate in ideal conditions but I’m not so lucky. Now it’s a piece of cake to swap between mowing and all the other chores and back to mowing again. Even if it’s just to do a 5 minute landscaping job for the wife.

Snowman7, one type mower isn’t better than the other. You have to decide which is better for you. If your other occasional tractor chores can be done with the MMM in place, then that’s a good choice. If those other chores require the MMM to come off frequently then you might want to consider a rear finish mower. And take it with a grain of salt when someone says there’s only one choice for a mower. I sure wish the JD dealer would’ve laid out the pros and cons to me 30 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
I have never taken mine off during mowing season. I just pin it up and use it for whatever. I am sure my blades have suffered immensely. I just might try the 3 pt. if this new tractor becomes reality. I can always sell it( not my style ) if I just can’t live without the mmm. Thanks everyone for the input, makes a newbie feel welcome.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Snowman7, I’ve used a 5 foot MMM on my old JD750 tractor for 25 years. It sure beat a push mower and even a small riding lawn mower. But I cussed every time I had to take it off to put something on the 3 point if the mower would’ve been in the way. If I mow everything all at once it’s probably 4+ acres. But I also use the tractor for backhoe work, tilling, cultivating, spraying, loader work, and anything else that comes up around here. With those different jobs popping up and with threat of rain always of concern, the MMM was on/off regularly and seldom (almost never) was left on between mowings. When things went well (and I was 25 yrs younger, too) it was only a 20 minute or less job to change implements with the MMM. But that’s 40 minutes to get it back to finish mowing again. Do that 2 or three times and you’ve wasted a good hour or more. Week after week during the summer it adds up to a lot of work.

Even with a big shed with concrete floor it was a pain to slide that MMM in and out from under the tractor and then hook up all the linkages. It might take up less storage space in the winter but you need double the space when you consider the room needed to get it under and out from the tractor’s belly. If I could have a dedicated mowing rig, the MMM would rule. But there goes that compact space and you lose some valuable floor space for your dedicated mower. Not to mention all the maintenance of that dedicated mower as well.

When my MMM was needing rebuilding I opted against it for the time being and bought a 3 point rear discharge finish mower. Three minutes on, three minutes off, sure made for some convenient swap out of implements. And no crawling under to hook up pto and no tugging and pulling to get the MMM out from underneath. Now it’s just back up, hook up and go. It can be dropped off anywhere….doesn’t need to be on a smooth hard surface like the old MMM.

I don’t have a one acre, irregularly shaped, obstacle infested and some places steep lawn so my circumstances must be unusual. I do have different sections of lawn, tight spaces, many trees of all kinds including pines, road ditches to mow, along with all the other duties that the compact tractor fulfills.
A MMM will shine in some circumstances and a 3 point finish mower shines in others. It’s a fast learning curve to mow with the rear mower and it takes no more time with that than it did with the MMM. Especially with the tight turn radius of the B2650 and the ease of backup/forward HST. You’ll quickly develop mowing patterns around your trees that will make it much easier than you think. Backing up into tight spaces is a breeze.

I’m glad I fought and struggled with a MMM when I was young! I’m like a kitten in a bowl of cream with my rear finish mower now behind the B2650. I lose no time in mowing with it and save both time and energy in being able to swap between implements so easily. And that is another big plus: I used to put off doing something because I had the MMM on and needed to mow again in a few days or after it dried up from a rain, etc., etc. It seemed it was never convenient to swap the mower out for a small task. And the conditions to do it in never seemed ideal. Maybe others always operate in ideal conditions but I’m not so lucky. Now it’s a piece of cake to swap between mowing and all the other chores and back to mowing again. Even if it’s just to do a 5 minute landscaping job for the wife.

Snowman7, one type mower isn’t better than the other. You have to decide which is better for you. If your other occasional tractor chores can be done with the MMM in place, then that’s a good choice. If those other chores require the MMM to come off frequently then you might want to consider a rear finish mower. And take it with a grain of salt when someone says there’s only one choice for a mower. I sure wish the JD dealer would’ve laid out the pros and cons to me 30 years ago.
Interesting.

I've had dozens of tractors and three point mounted implements, and I've had no such implements that I could dismount, let alone mount (aside from my 11 hole drawbars), in three minutes.

Your mileage may vary.

SDT