MMM blade change

TJBM

Apr 20, 2016
Melbourne Australia
Hi the two outer spline covers came off easy on my 60”” deck but the centre one won’t budge do I have to remove the gear box to clean the spline cover whilst replacing the blades? Cheers.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hi the two outer spline covers came off easy on my 60”” deck but the centre one won’t budge do I have to remove the gear box to clean the spline cover whilst replacing the blades? Cheers.
Well, what MMM do you have and what are you referring to as "spline cover"?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What MMM are you referring too?
Anything on this picture what you are describing?

If you are talking about the spline "boss" - a good "tap" with a "hammer" on the blades should vibrate it loose.
1611229797007.png

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
It sounds like he is trying to describe part number 60 on this drawing. Although this is not a picture of the RCK60 MMM it has basically the same parts. If it is part number 60 that you are talking about then grabbing it with a firm grip and shaking it should loosen it.

1611294070436.png

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It sounds like he is trying to describe part number 60 on this drawing. Although this is not a picture of the RCK60 MMM it has basically the same parts. If it is part number 60 that you are talking about then grabbing it with a firm grip and shaking it should loosen it.
So the question is, has the blade been removed, or is it still in place?

If in place, then likely it is the spline boss that 85hokie pointed to. If the blade is off...could be item 60 in armylifer's illustration I suppose...

Hopefully the OP will clarify.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hopefully the OP will clarify.

It always amazing me that someone takes the TIME to come here ..... ask a question ...... and never respond back!
Even if they fixed the problem without our help!

fja

Equipment
L Series, BX 2680
Jan 25, 2021
Williamsburg
Those dust covers should come off rather easily once the blade, bolt, special washer and u-shaped double washers are removed.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It always amazing me that someone takes the TIME to come here ..... ask a question ...... and never respond back!
Even if they fixed the problem without our help!
Looks like the OP is from Australia. Might be out on a walkabout... :)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I assume you are referring to the sheet metal "cup" that goes over the spline. If so, yeah they can be a booger to get off. They get dented dinged and otherwise damaged and the easiest way to get them off once that happens? Cut them off. Start a cut at the top side of the cup, then just use a pair of pliers and peel it off. Physically kinda tough but you can do it. Obviously replace the cup. IT needs to be there, acts as a spacer between the blade and the flat on the spindle (or spline boss whichever design you have). Without it the blade will not tighten up properly, will spin on the shaft, and usually destroys the shaft, spline boss/washer, blade, blade bolt, spring corns (that's what kubota calls them...they are cupped washers), snap ring, etc. Basically everything that the blade comes near gets chewed up. Seen it a bunch of times.

fja

Equipment
L Series, BX 2680
Jan 25, 2021
Williamsburg
I assume you are referring to the sheet metal "cup" that goes over the spline. If so, yeah they can be a booger to get off. They get dented dinged and otherwise damaged and the easiest way to get them off once that happens? Cut them off. Start a cut at the top side of the cup, then just use a pair of pliers and peel it off. Physically kinda tough but you can do it. Obviously replace the cup. IT needs to be there, acts as a spacer between the blade and the flat on the spindle (or spline boss whichever design you have). Without it the blade will not tighten up properly, will spin on the shaft, and usually destroys the shaft, spline boss/washer, blade, blade bolt, spring corns (that's what kubota calls them...they are cupped washers), snap ring, etc. Basically everything that the blade comes near gets chewed up. Seen it a bunch of times.
I just did a comparison between the dust shields on my new 60" BX MMM and the older Zero Turn Kubota - latter are twice the thickness, considerably larger, seem far more durable. On the other hand, blades on the 60" Kubota MMM are fairly stout -- I've sharpened them 10s of times using a sharpener from All American Sharpeners and they're still going strong (my earlier tries at using a standard bench grinder seemed to take off too much metal unnecessarily getting the angle correct).

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Sure, as long as early bearing failure is good enough for you also

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Some on youtube balance their blades after sharpening. Is that step necessary for a "good enough" guy such as myself ?
It is not really necessary unless you begin to get a noticeable vibration from the blades. Remember, if you take off the same amount of metal on each side of the blade that you are most likely not going to have balance issues anyway.