Mid PTO Problem on BX2380

tractormike

Premium Member

Equipment
BX 2380, 60" Deck, 50" Snowblower
Dec 13, 2019
Wadsworth, Ohio, USA
I was mowing yesterday and when finished I disengaged the PTO and then accidentally shifted the PTO to the rear position. Now, I can't seem to get it to shift back to the Mid-PTO to power my mower. I only have 20 hrs on my BX2380. Can anyone suggest how I can get the PTO back to the correct position?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m just guessing, but try engaging/disengaging the rear PTO to “run”.
Then after it’s stopped, try shifting to the mid-PTO position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had the same thing happen a couple years ago on my BX2200, which is now about 16 years old and about 1300 hours.

Anyway, I finally got it out of the rear PTO position. Took a bit of trying. Gentle force on the handle but not much. I may have tried repeatedly engaging the pto and disengaging it until I got it to move.

DO NOT FORCE IT! is my advice. Take your time, try many times, and you will succeed.

I now tied my selector lever in the mid pto position with a piece of wire. The experience was that traumatic. :eek:

I do not need the rear pto on the BX. I know it is best to change things now and then but I do not need that worry/hassle again. It can stick in the mid pto position for all I care. But I have the larger tractor which I use the rear pto on, but not the mid. So that one can stick in the rear pto position for all I care. :D

Now for a bit of fatherly advice. When you start to get frustrated, stop and start again another time. No need to force and break something that does not need broken. ;)

Edit: I think that is what RCW said in one sentence...

tractormike

Premium Member

Equipment
BX 2380, 60" Deck, 50" Snowblower
Dec 13, 2019
Wadsworth, Ohio, USA
Henry,
Thanks for the fatherly advise. I did exactly as you suggested and it eventually shifted to the mid-PTO. I don't want to go thru that again.

dsims

Equipment
BX2380 60"Drive Over/SSQA Loader
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
This is common. You just have to get it to turn so the gears align again. What I do is apply light pressure on the PTO selector lever while slowly engaging the PTO. As the gears align it will slip right in. You could also turn the PTO shaft manually by hand to align it as well.

And as stated, don't force the selector lever. Easy to bend things.