Mid PTO help

TDean

Equipment
b7100 hst with hydraulic plow, 48" mmm, 48" snowblower, Simms Cabl35 back hoe
Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
I hope this is in the right thread... can someone tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong on this yoke/pto shaft assembly? It's an MR4800 on a 94 7100hst-d. It mows fine, then I hit a bump or change directions (usually reverse to forward) and KA-BAMM it throws the yoke assembly off the pto output (tractor side). It seems to be missing a collar or locking pin, but there is no through hole on the output? Either way, I'm baffled. Although I've been running machines for 15 years, I'm new to pto implements.
20200629_185559.jpg

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
1593472963270.png

I prefer this style when you can find them. Most pto yolks have a spring loaded collar you have to pull back and slide shaft on. You may want to watch youtube video on replacing universal joints, this is how you would replace tractor side yolk.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
i7win7, That would be fine if he had a rear PTO, mid PTO's are different attachments, epecial older models.

TDean, Are you installing the pin into the mid PTO shaft?

MR4800 Drive shaft pin.JPG

TDean

Equipment
Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
i7win7, That would be fine if he had a rear PTO, mid PTO's are different attachments, epecial older models.

TDean, Are you installing the pin into the mid PTO shaft?

View attachment 45207
There doesn't seem to be a corresponding hole in the pto shaft that allows me to install a bolt/pin. Perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough? There is a groove where a locking ball or detent pin would engage. I'll try and get some pics of the pto shaft this evening after my adulting commences for the day.

TDean

Equipment
Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
Update. Problem still not solved. Upon further inspection, the pto output shaft doesn't have a hole in it. And its apparently not a common spline size (10 spline, 15/16 bore (approximately 23.xx mm?). I have 3 possible solutions. Looking for input... 1) drill the pto shaft (least ideal) 2) have one made (2nd least favorite $$$) and 3) tap the current yoke i have and use 2 3/8 inch bolts with lock nuts to hope it works. Or 4) convince the wife I need another new to me tractor thats not a b@stard child?
20200630_180647.jpg
20200630_180634.jpg

TDean

Equipment
Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
I actually just found that about an hour ago. I guess I'll have to stop being phone shy and maybe give them a call.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Time to call Messicks, looks like a new style and old style based on serial number.
Your model is not listed for this part. They can advise you best on repair options.
If you're SOL, drilling may be best option.

WOW meili416 and TDean your search skills are better than mine

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The proper design sees the bolt through the yoke being in the depressed area of the pto splined output shaft as is clearly visible in your photos.

Do NOT mess with the output shaft. Confine any drilling to the yoke with the goal of having a pin go through the yoke in the output shaft depression.

Dave.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On your yoke is it only one hole on one side or are there 2 holes across from each other?

TDean

Equipment
Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
SUCCESS!!! For now... managed to get get it simple... I used some scrap pipe I had laying around and a 5/16" nut, drilled a hole, tig welded the nut on, repeated for the other side. Screwed it up on one side, prime, paint, test, it works for now. I don't need to mow this week thanks to the lack of rain, but I'll update once I do. I may grind the end of the bolt round, to increase the contact area, as well as gain some clearance between the "yoke lock" and whatever is above it. As of now it has a little less than 3/16" clearance. *I know I'm a trashy tig welder. But I'm running off 110v right now because I haven't installed the 220v outlets, and I don't do it enough. * thanks for all the advice guys/gals
20200703_141134.jpg
20200703_163722.jpg
20200703_163733.jpg

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Let me take a flyer. I think you're putting that on backwards.
When I first saw your picture, it looked like the hole was in the center. But second look it seems to be offset to one side. If so . . .
The smooth end slips on the drive shaft splines. Probably will only go one way, but make sure the two drive shaft yokes are in the same plane. Parts 14, 15, & 16 from Wolfman's diagram include a pin. Or find a bolt as large as possible to just fit the groove in the PTO shaft. (probably metric). Then slide the yoke on until the holes line up with the groove and insert the pin/bolt.

Edit: didn't see your last post until I posted mine.

Last edited:

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
The output shaft is the same style as on my B2601. When I'm using the front blower the I have to install the driveshaft. On the output it slides over but has a locking collar to keep it from coming off. Kubota calls it a "spring lock yoke assembly".

TDean

Equipment
Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
Let me take a flyer. I think you're putting that on backwards.
When I first saw your picture, it looked like the hole was in the center. But second look it seems to be offset to one side. If so . . .
The smooth end slips on the drive shaft splines. Probably will only go one way, but make sure the two drive shaft yokes are in the same plane. Parts 14, 15, & 16 from Wolfman's diagram include a pin. Or find a bolt as large as possible to just fit the groove in the PTO shaft. (probably metric). Then slide the yoke on until the holes line up with the groove and insert the pin/bolt.

Edit: didn't see your last post until I posted mine.
Initially I thought the same thing, but it appears that in the mower side of the pto shaft there is an indicator tooth (a double or triple wide tooth[someone correct me if I'm wrong on the terminology] ) so I believe the orientation to be correct. The hole through the yoke is in the center. It appears to be designed to run a bolt through the yoke and pto. My pto does not have a through hole. I was able to find a solution for now, until I can get my machine shop up and running in my new shop. At that time I will either machine a new pto output in a common size, or machine a new yoke to fit the current pto.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Initially I thought the same thing, but it appears that in the mower side of the pto shaft there is an indicator tooth (a double or triple wide tooth[someone correct me if I'm wrong on the terminology] ) so I believe the orientation to be correct. The hole through the yoke is in the center. It appears to be designed to run a bolt through the yoke and pto. My pto does not have a through hole. I was able to find a solution for now, until I can get my machine shop up and running in my new shop. At that time I will either machine a new pto output in a common size, or machine a new yoke to fit the current pto.
Thanks. Not the first time I've been caught off base.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks. Not the first time I've been caught off base.
Let me take one more swing. Is it possible that someone got the yokes swapped? Maybe changing out the crosses. Not likely but only takes a second to verify.

TDean

Equipment
Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
Let me take one more swing. Is it possible that someone got the yokes swapped? Maybe changing out the crosses. Not likely but only takes a second to verify.
From all my research, everyone without access to a full machine shop has the same issue with the limited and expensive mid PTO on the 7100's. But if there is an off the shelf conversion to the b@stard oddball PTO, please please please, someone send me a link to where to buy it. I would rather buy one than subject myself to building/machining one (although I am capable of machining, I don't want to take or make the time). I've considered adapters, but for temporary, i was able to create a type of sleeve lock mechanism that until i stripped a mower blade bolt, it seemed to be operating relatively smoothly. The deck is currently getting some crack repair, and I hope to have it done, spot painted, reassembled, and reinstalled by Saturday, because my neighbor is looking at my yard funny since its half done. Not to mention the princes-er I mean dog is confused.