mid mount mower deck or bush hog?

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
I posted a question about bush hogging ditches in another thread, and while I dont yet have a bush hog Ive been thinking if I actually need one. I realize they do two different jobs, as they are different implements. I have the 60" mid mount mower deck (never used it) and while my pasture is sloped quite a bit, the grass is pretty nice hay grass. Would the mower deck raised up high cut it you think? Its about 6" high now from hiring out last Fall bush hogging. The pasture had been used for hay for decades and it fairly smooth with slopes. My only real goal is to keep the hay grass down because I like hiking back in that area. I also dont want to allow someone to "hay" it. BX23S tractor is the machine. thanks!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It will cut it, but my experience with cutting tall dry grass with a mid mount mower wasn’t positive. The chaff gets sucked up into the grill and radiator screen, leading to a need for frequent cleaning or the engine will overheat. Mid mount mowers are best for green lawns that are relatively short. And MMM are always in the way for other tractor uses, requiring removal and re-install. This is something that gets old fast. Go with a rear pto unit: rotary cutter or finish mower.

Reactions: 1 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I'd use a RFM for that instead of a bush hog. Your MMM would probably work, but as jyoutz said, you'll probably be stopping to clean the radiator screen, radiator, and air filter often. I typically have to clean my radiator and screen about half way through every time I cut the grass due to some very dusty areas on my couple acres of lawn. If I didn't have many trees and other obstacles to mow around, I'd be using a RFM.

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
So it'll work, just wont be ideal. Got it. In the midst of building a house on the land so trying not to buy $1500 implements right now if I can help it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I cut knee to almost waste high hay here with my B2620 and mid mount mower. First pass leaves some pretty thick windrows so I just go over it a couple times.

eubie5

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, 60" mmm, loader, 54" landpride grapple, box blade, rear blade
Feb 24, 2019
greenville, indiana, USA
It will cut it, but my experience with cutting tall dry grass with a mid mount mower wasn’t positive. The chaff gets sucked up into the grill and radiator screen, leading to a need for frequent cleaning or the engine will overheat. Mid mount mowers are best for green lawns that are relatively short. And MMM are always in the way for other tractor uses, requiring removal and re-install. This is something that gets old fast. Go with a rear pto unit: rotary cutter or finish mower.
I rarely take off my mmm, unless it's to clean it. It stays on year round.
I live in southern Indiana, so we don't ever get that much snow, where it would cause an issue in the winter time. Works great the rest of the year protecting the underside if I'm ever out in the woods.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day…I use a MMM on my B regularly on tall grass…jyoutz is not wrong. But that is what I have at the house and it works. Also I have used the MMM as a brush cutter with saplings for 3 yrs before I got an MX along with lots of hood high grass (used to take about 3 hours to cut it all with the B per visit) and it worked just fine and the blades stayed shiney…slow speed is your friend…IMO it’s less than ideal but it works fine within its limits…speed and size of cut will might take patience on a large pasture. I found it easier to cut with the deck all the way up on first pass and then drop deck to suit afterward and it was fine. And if using as a brush cutter, I’d recommend using the bucket to knock saplings down before mowing over…again it did just fine within its limits.

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
Good day…I use a MMM on my B regularly on tall grass…jyoutz is not wrong. But that is what I have at the house and it works. Also I have used the MMM as a brush cutter with saplings for 3 yrs before I got an MX along with lots of hood high grass (used to take about 3 hours to cut it all with the B per visit) and it worked just fine and the blades stayed shiney…slow speed is your friend…IMO it’s less than ideal but it works fine within its limits…speed and size of cut will might take patience on a large pasture. I found it easier to cut with the deck all the way up on first pass and then drop deck to suit afterward and it was fine. And if using as a brush cutter, I’d recommend using the bucket to knock saplings down before mowing over…again it did just fine within its limits.
thanks. no saplings at all, just nice soft hay grass on slopes. Im at least going to try it

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
thanks. no saplings at all, just nice soft hay grass on slopes. Im at least going to try it
Mid-Mount will cut it fine. Just leave the height up in transport mode. I have parts of my pasture that I keep mowed (and a walking path). I never let it get high enough to have to Bush-Hog it. Don't like the way it looks. I can mow my pasture grass with either my Zero Turn (31 hp w/60" deck) or finish mower behind the tractor set on highest setting.

Pasture Grass.jpg

When finances permit, consider getting a rear discharge finish mower (widest one your tractor will operate).

Used finish mowers are abundant right now since many folks have gone to Zero Turn mowers and have finish mowers just sitting around unused. Don't get in a hurry and look for a bargain. You shouldn't have to spend anything like $1500.00 for a 5'-6' finish mower if you bide your time and are willing to travel a bit to pick one up.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Since it was not mentioned, the fastest and best (IMO) way to clean the radiator and outside grill of chaff is with a leaf blower. Held at an angle, it will blow off everything in moments; you probably will not need to pull the radiator screen out.

I mowed a 6 acre neighbor's neglected field full of 5 foot tall weeds with seed heads and briars with my rotary cutter. I had to stop about every 20 minutes to blow everything off. Tractor stayed cool the whole time, but helped that I cut it in the winter.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
When we cleared our field to build, my Brother in law brought his green with a 3pt finish mower. It struggled. Granted the field had not been mowed or hayed for at least 8yrs so it as 2-3’ high. We hand cut any saplings. No issues with dust and chaff clogging front radiator at all but we did have to go over areas multiple times and stop for clearing the mower.
When I bought my B3200, I got a 3pt brush cutter Woods RC5 as my primary mower. Cuts fast but you don’t get that fine finish. It also creates a ton of dust the dryer your fields get. Most of the clogging of the cooling system was due to the seed heads of all the grasses and weeds.
So. Both will do the job, the brush cutter is faster and more forgiving if you hit rocks, saplings and other obstructions. The finish mower requires a much slower pace and you want to know what you are mowing over but your finished cut is a finish cut. If you do go with the finish mower plan on a second set of blades so you have something to keep that finished lawn looking good.
I push mower around the house for a couple summers till we had cash built up and I bought my other brother in laws B1700 with a MMM. Since then I’ve expanded the mower area.
Good luck with your new property and projects.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
For years I sowed 'winter rye' in the veggie garden(2/3 acre) every fall then , every spring I'd use the Cub Cadet (MTD) 42" rider to cut down the rye a couple weeks before tilling it all in. Rye could be anywhere from 6 to 12" tall and thick ( 1 bag used = 1 bushel for that 2/3 acre....). As long as the grass was DRY, mower didn't have any problems.
I don't see any reason why a 2 decade newer machine won't do the cutting.

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
Folks, if you have decent hay grass, or any grass with less than 1" stalks, the mower works very well. Ive cut down 10" stuff that I thought I had to bush hog with zero issues with my MMD. Zero bog. Its not fescue, its hay and random grasses, basically. I ground up and spit out larger (like 2") branches too. Like everyone said, clean out the radiator fins and make sure the deck is operating perfect and you are good to go. Also, taking off my backhoe helped the motor.