Maybe a new BX2380 ?

Steeljag

Equipment
BX2380
Nov 1, 2021
Central Fl
I’ll try and keep this short. Looking for advice on a possible tractor. I’ll start by saying after much home work ,my first choice was the JD 1025r. However, with their strike situation and other factors I’m being told mid Jan. Good dealer / people there.

local Kubota dealer does have the B2601 but no loaders, and no idea when they will arrive. This allows for two BX2380 on the lot with attachments I’m interested in ( Rotary cutter and box blade). L series is also available there , just to big for my 2.5 acre needs. Also a close dealer, and good people from other power equipment purchases there.

Needs / wants being some lite brush mowing, moving dirt, mulch, large potted plants, tree branch clean up, pulling / dragging dead sand pine stumps, maybe some lite road work pushing / pulling Millings around.

Good match for the BX ?

$ 17,500 Quote with the 48” rotary cutter, 48” box blade, and quick disconnect loader ? Good ? Bad ?

Fan blade underneath still a issue ? Aftermarket protection needed ?

Thank you !

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought a new B2601 earlier this year for my 2 1/2 acre suburban lot and don't feel its overkill. I am 6'2'' and 206 pounds and felt a little cramped on the BX tractor. I would get the B2601 and have them deliver the loader when they can. That is if you don't mind waiting. There are a lot of used BX tractors available with loaders on Tractorhouse.com if your heart is really set on it. I have learned it is generally better to get things bigger when in doubt. More horsepower, more acres, more money...... Its the American mindset and there is no shame in it despite what the current leadership in Washington might have you believe. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: 3 users

Steeljag

Equipment
BX2380
Nov 1, 2021
Central Fl
Thanks Jimmy! Being the loader is the most important need for me, and the unknown wait time of possibly months, I’m kinda back where I was with the JD of waiting. To me , it seems the JD is between the BX2380 and the B2601 in performance and price ( Did not price the 2601).

Finding pre-owned, at least in my area of Fl has turned up nothing !

Anyway, not wanting to settle for something, and have that nagging feeling of “I should have bought the ……?” That’s why I’m asking here, and seeking input from owners like you !

Thanks again !

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
x2 on B2601 or an LX, what @JimmyJazz said ^

Im only on 3 acres and grew out of BX pretty quickly, doing brush, material moving, path installation, and road maintenance (short 1/2 mile section). My fixation on 'small' had me in too small of a machine (twice).

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
One downfall of the BX and JD1025 is that they only have a 2 speed HST. To do any hard work, you'd need to be in low range which is painfully slow.

The B series others have mentioned has a 3 speed HST. Lots of work can be done in the medium range gear and it wont be slower than a turtle's pace.

I'd suggest that you take them all for a spin. Then decide.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
The B2601 with the 3-spd HST is definitely worth the additional money.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
A neighbor has a JD1025r with loader and mid mower. I agree with the above posts and would opt for the B2601 no matter what the price difference. Especially if you opt for the SSQA loader/bucket! That gives you options for all kinds (and makes) of front end attachments......instead of being limited to only what JD has for their loader attachments.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I agree the JD is in between the BX and B. It's more tractor than the BX, and I'd think on 2.5 acres you may wish you'd purchased more tractor. To be honest, a BX is about a million percent better than no tractor, and will absolutely do the job. But it's quite a big step to the B, beyond that it's just a bit better each step up. What about a B2301? Also a good machine, but same loader so probably also not available. Have you looked at other dealers - someone may have the B2601 with loader on the lot if you look around.

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
We bought a new BX2230 in 2005 to manage our 3 acres and it served us well until 2020 when I decided my back and neck deserved a better ride. Last fall we bought a new B2601 and I wish I had bought one sooner. The 2601 does all our chores a little easier and the ride is a great step up in comfort.

Reactions: 2 users

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I have a bit more acreage than you and am doing perfectly fine with my 23HP BX231.

As for ride comfort, an air suspension seat is a lot cheaper than going to a bigger tractor which comes standard with it... Matter of fact, I'm just in the process of upgrading mine from the regular seat (very comfy, but not made for people over 200 lbs, so it bottoms out - not a good thing for someone with 6 herniated disks...) to an air suspension one for the euro-equivalent of $900, 21% VATincluded.

I'm afraid I can't advise you on the quote, as European price structures are different (and from the looks of it, higher).

Good luck with your purchase!

I’ll try and keep this short. Looking for advice on a possible tractor. I’ll start by saying after much home work ,my first choice was the JD 1025r. However, with their strike situation and other factors I’m being told mid Jan. Good dealer / people there.

local Kubota dealer does have the B2601 but no loaders, and no idea when they will arrive. This allows for two BX2380 on the lot with attachments I’m interested in ( Rotary cutter and box blade). L series is also available there , just to big for my 2.5 acre needs. Also a close dealer, and good people from other power equipment purchases there.

Needs / wants being some lite brush mowing, moving dirt, mulch, large potted plants, tree branch clean up, pulling / dragging dead sand pine stumps, maybe some lite road work pushing / pulling Millings around.

Good match for the BX ?

$ 17,500 Quote with the 48” rotary cutter, 48” box blade, and quick disconnect loader ? Good ? Bad ?

Fan blade underneath still a issue ? Aftermarket protection needed ?

Thank you !

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I have a bit more acreage than you and am doing perfectly fine with my 23HP BX23
Absolutely! The BX is more than enough tractor to perform the OP’s tasks on his size property. The BX is a great tractor and would serve him well.

I have just over 5 acres of undeveloped forest. I originally wanted a BX and got talked into a B2601 by friends, neighbors, coworkers and the dealer.
The B2601 performed very well for me both for tractor work and mowing duties.

I have since purchased a L2501 (and Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S) and the larger tractor has performed extremely well and has been able to speed up projects and get some projects accomplished that were too large/heavy for the B. And now, having owned the L, I could easily see an MX on my property.

Any tractor beats a shovel and wheelbarrow. I’d just suggest getting the best option you can for your budget.

Mike

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks Jimmy! Being the loader is the most important need for me, and the unknown wait time of possibly months, I’m kinda back where I was with the JD of waiting. To me , it seems the JD is between the BX2380 and the B2601 in performance and price ( Did not price the 2601).

Finding pre-owned, at least in my area of Fl has turned up nothing !

Anyway, not wanting to settle for something, and have that nagging feeling of “I should have bought the ……?” That’s why I’m asking here, and seeking input from owners like you !

Thanks again !
Why not just wait and get the machine you want. Its only 2 months.

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
Is the bx that much difference from the b frame? On spec, they seem to be within inches from another?

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Is the bx that much difference from the b frame? On spec, they seem to be within inches from another?
I think Messicks has a video or whatever its called on YouTube discussing the differences. At 6'2" I felt the difference was meaningful.

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
I am also in the same boat, looking at a bx2380. I have 4 ac wooded property that i need to move, clear brush, and level. Some of the medium trees have low canopy too, we also have some minor slopes too. So how big of a tractor i can get to be able to maneuver in between trees? How much bare weight i should look for?

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I am also in the same boat, looking at a bx2380. I have 4 ac wooded property that i need to move, clear brush, and level. Some of the medium trees have low canopy too, we also have some minor slopes too. So how big of a tractor i can get to be able to maneuver in between trees? How much bare weight i should look for?
As suggested earlier, on virgin wooded land, buy the larger tractor if it’s in your budget, especially if you’re planning on moving earth and removing stumps.

My L2501 is much more stable on slopes/hillsides than my B2601 with 2” rear spacers. The larger tires/wheels and additional weight of the L2501 really make a difference.

Regardless of my opinion or experience, the BX will still work for your situation but tasks may take longer and be a bit more difficult to complete with the smaller tractor.

Mike

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
As suggested earlier, on virgin wooded land, buy the larger tractor if it’s in your budget, especially if you’re planning on moving earth and removing stumps.

My L2501 is much more stable on slopes/hillsides than my B2601 with 2” rear spacers. The larger tires/wheels and additional weight of the L2501 really make a difference.

Regardless of my opinion or experience, the BX will still work for your situation but tasks may take longer and be a bit more difficult to complete with the smaller tractor.

Mike
Is the l2501 easy to maneuver in dense woods? First time owner here.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Is the l2501 easy to maneuver in dense woods? First time owner here.
On my property, the L2501 is pretty maneuverable in the woods and doesn’t seem much more compromised than my B2601 operating in the same areas. You get accustomed to the size of the tractor pretty quickly.
However, if you’re main consideration is heading into thick woods, a BX might be a better option but, there are compromises with a smaller machine…just like there are compromises with a larger machine.

Mike

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If you're planning on smashing thru woods with a BX, better plan on getting yourself a set of full skid plates. Otherwise, you're in for a world of hurt replacing HST fans. BX machines have very limited ground clearance with short tires. They are not designed for woods work.

Reactions: 2 users