Max RPM on 2501?

JasonY

Equipment
Kubota L2501HST, FEL, EAXtreme 60" shredder, EA 60" box blade, EA Pallet forks
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
Just got our 2501 yesterday and I had to drive it about 1/2 mile down the road to get to our property (it's being stored at a friend's house since our property isn't developed yet).

The RPM gauge maxes out at 3200 RPM but even fully open and running down the road in High with my foot on the floor, the engine was sitting right around 2400RPM. Does this seem right? The tractor had plenty of power (love this beast) and everything seems okay.

It's probably normal but I just wanted to run it by the hive mind.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm not sure if you got 2400 out of it or not. I think max is supposed to be 2200. I'll jam mine full throttle at times when needed and I am not sure if I ever made it to 2400. The engine has been limited to lower RPMs on the 2501 so as not to exceed the 25 hp threshold for the Tier IV emissions standards.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Just got our 2501 yesterday and I had to drive it about 1/2 mile down the road to get to our property (it's being stored at a friend's house since our property isn't developed yet).

The RPM gauge maxes out at 3200 RPM but even fully open and running down the road in High with my foot on the floor, the engine was sitting right around 2400RPM. Does this seem right? The tractor had plenty of power (love this beast) and everything seems okay.

Welcome to the forum JasonY.
I agree with Nicfin36, in that you shouldnt be exceeding much past 2200 rpm, even at full throttle. If your unit is brand new, then there is a break-in period that you should consider following for the first 50 hrs, for the best long term performance. These break-in guidelines are outlined under OPERATING THE TRACTOR
If your unit already has over 50 hrs, then you are good to go.
Good luck, be safe, and enjoy.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

AS others have said - that model = 2200 RPM

However - when on the road or going down hill, it is easy to exceed max rpm's - the engine will rev high due to the inertia of increased speed going down a hill- whether HST or gear.

I cut a nasty grade hill - up, full throttle ..... down I have to back it off as to not make the engine get past it's max rpm's.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Different tractor but I think the same scenario. For my L2800 HST; 540 pto rpms is @ 2580 engine rpms. Rated HP is at 2800 engine rpms but WOT (wide open throttle) is at 3200+ engine rpms.

I only sometimes reach this 3200 when mowing uphill and I forget to reduce power before heading back down. When going up, I feather the HST pedal to stay as close to the rated PTO speed... while the engine is "trying" to get to 3200 rpms.

To the OP, (as long as you are out of your break in period) I don't think you have a problem doing what you are doing. When I first got my tractor, I had to do the same but with a 4 mile drive. Last 0.5 mile was on a real highway (scared the poop out of me). Don't forget to only drive on the road in 2 wheel drive - I forgot that a couple of times (bonehead move...)

Tractor shed was the first thing I built - and I couldn't build it fast enough!!!

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
You won't have a problem running more RPMs than 2200 during the break-in period, either. The engine in the L2501 is derated from another application which can run more RPMs. You can run it wide open and it would still be less than break-in RPMs on the other applications for this engine.

For what its worth, I've owned 5 Kubota tractors, two of them used, but the other three were brand new. All of them saw wide open throttle for hours on end starting within a day or two from taking delivery, with only an hour or two on the clock. Never had any issues with oil consumption or other problems.

Reactions: 1 users

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
"I'm not sure if you got 2400 out of it or not. I think max is supposed to be 2200. I'll jam mine full throttle at times when needed and I am not sure if I ever made it to 2400. The engine has been limited to lower RPMs on the 2501 so as not to exceed the 25 hp threshold for the Tier IV emissions standards."

NicFin, that's entirely possible. I was sitting on my couch at home estimating where the needle was. It's really good to know that others are seeing about the same thing as me. I'd also forgotten about the derated engine! So that makes sense that it would have lower RPM. Thank you so much!

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
Tractor shed was the first thing I built - and I couldn't build it fast enough!!!
Man, I feel you there. We currently live 20 miles from the property and are out there all the time. Just finished the fence and will start on the road and electrical asap, then the metal building and septic, THEN I'll be able to put the tractor inside, not outside where my friends' chickens and turkeys can jump all over it. Hope they don't tear the seat.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Man, I feel you there. We currently live 20 miles from the property and are out there all the time. Just finished the fence and will start on the road and electrical asap, then the metal building and septic, THEN I'll be able to put the tractor inside, not outside where my friends' chickens and turkeys can jump all over it. Hope they don't tear the seat.

Harbor Freight has a 10 x 17 foot tarp garage for <$170. Set it up on some rr ties to get the height for the ROPS.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
,,,I was sitting on my couch at home estimating where the needle was. ....
I have to say, keeping your tractor in the living room is next level care man - respect.

My wife thinks the heated shop is starting to get out of line - lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
I have to say, keeping your tractor in the living room is next level care man - respect.

My wife thinks the heated shop is starting to get out of line - lol.
COmment of the day. That really made me smile. :)

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yea 2200 RPM is wide open RPM. The engine can actually produce upwards of 30HP at roughly 2800 RPM, but it is governed down. The 2501 has a large tough engine for just 25HP. Its quite a bit beefier than the 25HP engine in the B2601 for example. Regarding the break in period I chose to follow the manual's recommendation and never ran my tractor at wide open RPM during the break in period. I got close to max many times, but never wide open. Since my 50 hour maintenance I have worked it often at wide open RPM. I do not think you would actually cause any problems going wide open throttle inside the break in period however. The important thing is to try and vary your RPM a lot in the first 50 hours so you work the gears in good at all ranges. Look at how many shavings you see on your hydraulic oil filter magnet when you do your first maintenance - that will give you some indication of possible issues. I had just a tiny pinch of very fine shavings on mine.

Side Note - make 100% sure you are not running 4wd on an asphalt road or concrete!

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
Just an update. I went a-tractorin' today and checked the RPM. Max was right at 2200 as everyone here said. Looks normal!