Making your own Hydraulic Hoses

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It’s been a while since I put my top and tilt rear remotes together on my tractor. But I remember that I bought some fittings that allowed me to cut hose to the lengths I needed(4 remotes), and then somehow I screwed a male fitting into the end of the hose and then a female outer pieces that was slipped over the hose was screwed in against the mail fitting and pulled everything tight. And the net result is after 19 years I’ve not had a problem.

I’m just wondering if this kind of fitting is still available today. I’m not sure even what to call it. But it did work quite well for me, since I didn’t have any kind of hydraulic crimper available for my use. AND I think after buying a replacement short hose at the Parker store last year ($$$), it would be cost effective as well. Even with today’s inflated prices.

Anybody know what I am talking about?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It’s been a while since I put my top and tilt rear remotes together on my tractor. But I remember that I bought some fittings that allowed me to cut hose to the lengths I needed(4 remotes), and then somehow I screwed a male fitting into the end of the hose and then a female outer pieces that was slipped over the hose was screwed in against the mail fitting and pulled everything tight. And the net result is after 17 years I’ve not had a problem.

I’m just wondering if this kind of fitting is still available today. I’m not sure even what to call it. But it did work quite well for me, since I didn’t have any kind of hydraulic crimper available for my use. AND I think after buying a replacement short hose at the Parker store last year ($$$), it would be cost effective as well. Even with today’s inflated prices.

I am not aware of anything like you suggest.....but, I would certainly like to know of some such hose making method.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
On this side of the 49th, Princess Auto has 'screw on' fittings, though it's cheaper/better to have them make them while you wait..... course they're not open at 2:14 AM on a Sunday night when you're plowing snow.....
Always had a few in the JEEP, just in case....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It’s been a while since I put my top and tilt rear remotes together on my tractor. But I remember that I bought some fittings that allowed me to cut hose to the lengths I needed(4 remotes), and then somehow I screwed a male fitting into the end of the hose and then a female outer pieces that was slipped over the hose was screwed in against the mail fitting and pulled everything tight. And the net result is after 19 years I’ve not had a problem.

Yes - they are called field attachable or reusable hose fittings. Kinda pricey - $20 to $40 per fitting depending on what you need and mainly limited to R1 and R2 hose. Its generally cheaper to have a shop make them for you.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes - they are called field attachable or reusable hose fittings. Kinda pricey - $20 to $40 per fitting depending on what you need and mainly limited to R1 and R2 hose. Its generally cheaper to have a shop make them for you.

Dan
Thanks Dan, I think that is what I remember. At $20 each would be cheaper than the Parker store, but likely not cheaper than somewhere local like NAPA.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Dan, I think that is what I remember. At $20 each would be cheaper than the Parker store, but likely not cheaper than somewhere local like NAPA.
DHH makes custom hose assemblies. They charge the retail cost for the hose and ends plus $10 per hose to crimp. Hose is about $2 per foot and JIC female swivel ends are $3.50 each. A 5' assembly is roughly $27. About the best deal going, way cheaper than the Parker store, and probably NAPA as well if yours is anything like mine.

Dan

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
DHH makes custom hose assemblies. They charge the retail cost for the hose and ends plus $10 per hose to crimp. Hose is about $2 per foot and JIC female swivel ends are $3.50 each. A 5' assembly is roughly $27. About the best deal going, way cheaper than the Parker store, and probably NAPA as well if yours is anything like mine.

Dan
Struck a blank on what DHH stood for! But google was my friend...eventually.

DiscountHydraulicHose.com for those who wonder... 🥴

I am sure they are a good source. Shipping cost and wait time for a "need it now" single hose might be an issue. Will certainly keep them in mind for planned replacements. Actually, I think I may have used them way back when I put the T&T on my B2910.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Struck a blank on what DHH stood for! But google was my friend...eventually.

DiscountHydraulicHose.com for those who wonder... 🥴

I am sure they are a good source. Shipping cost and wait time for a "need it now" single hose might be an issue. Will certainly keep them in mind for planned replacements. Actually, I think I may have used them way back when I put the T&T on my B2910.
Certainly not a replacement for "while you wait" hoses. They turn my orders around in one to two days. It takes me about 10 minutes to make a hose. :)

Dan

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho

Yeah and those screw on fittings are reusable if they re not damaged.

Another possibility is to buy premade hoses from Surplus Center, etc . You pick the kind of fittings you need and the hose length and they can make them for you and ship them for less than a local hydraulic shop will charge you At least that has been my experience.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yeah and those screw on fittings are reusable if they re not damaged.

Another possibility is to buy premade hoses from Surplus Center, etc . You pick the kind of fittings you need and the hose length and they can make them for you and ship them for less than a local hydraulic shop will charge you At least that has been my experience.
Surplus Center? AFAIK they do not make hose assemblies. They sell premade NRP hose assemblies. They stock assemblies with either male pipe or fenale JIC swivel ends.

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Certainly not a replacement for "while you wait" hoses. They turn my orders around in one to two days. It takes me about 10 minutes to make a hose. :)

Dan
Everybody's situation is different. My NAPA store has new ownership and wanted triple Kubota's price. My former Carquest/now Advance didn't have the fittings we needed, so I ordered an assembly, from DHH as I recall. So I parked it until the new one arrived.

Another get-by option for me would be to buy a pre-made hose with NPT ends and adapters from Tractor Supply. Tie up the excess hose to get by while the correct hose is enroute.

Reactions: 1 user