Made an interesting observation today, thought I'd share...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Went to the local Auto Zone, needed some windshield washer solvent and I noticed when I parked that all the customer parking spots in front of the store entrance will covered in oil drip stains and all the employee spots around the corner of the building were clean and oil drip free...

I got to thinking about it but I cannot come up with a tangible answer as to why... Anyone have any idea?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Went to the local Auto Zone, needed some windshield washer solvent and I noticed when I parked that all the customer parking spots in front of the store entrance will covered in oil drip stains and all the employee spots around the corner of the building were clean and oil drip free...

I got to thinking about it but I cannot come up with a tangible answer as to why... Anyone have any idea?
Well one, why would you go to Autozone if your car didn’t have a problem. And two, can’t speak for the employee spots, but it certainly isn’t because they know what they doing, I make good money off Autozone diagnosis 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Many cars come and go all day in the customer spots. Employee cars come and stay for 8 hours and then leave. Maybe more likely to leak on startup?

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just gander what is in the trash can by the door. Those empty oil containers and purchased, needed immediately and used. If the engine doesn't drip it the driver will.

And as mentioned those front spots get much more use with multiple vehicles.

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If it was an actual garage I could answer it easily. Mechanics don't like working on their daily drivers.

My neighbor has a shop and he drives new cars. His reasoning is simple. Cars cost a lot to work on and they take time to work on. He says the last thing he wants to do is work on his own cars (this does not include his "car collection" that he has no problem working on). His and his wife's daily drivers are both new.

Everyone that goes to see him (parked out front) have something wrong with their car.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The vast majority of people I see do not give a crap about fixing oil leaks. They'd rather spend the money on cigarettes & pot.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

that's where all the GM products park. Seriously, I've never seen a parts store that didn't have "those spots"--except the new one here in town that's been open for I think 3 months now. The new ain't wore off yet.

• Haha

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well one, why would you go to Autozone if your car didn’t have a problem. And two, can’t speak for the employee spots, but it certainly isn’t because they know what they doing, I make good money off Autozone diagnosis 🤣
I bet you do... I as a Rule don't go there except for washer fluid and I tend to get my parts from Rock or 1A that I require because Autozone and O'Really's markups are too high.

People today don't even check their tire pressure and never lift the hood and check anything, anyway. That is your job in their opinion, so it keeps you working for their stupidity.

Never had any discount auto parts store 'diagnose' anything for me. What I have that high buck Snap-On scan tool for.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Because plenty of customers drop in for a quart of oil when they're low and they fill their oil right there in the parking lot. Some gets spilled and ends up on the parking lot.

Employees aren't there for a quart of oil, they're there for a paycheck.