M9540 won't start + PTO light stuck on + 4WD won't engage

mrkip

Equipment
M8540 2009 + LA 1353 Loader
Jan 19, 2017
Burnley, UK
Hello all,

Well I've just had a routine and easy job turn into a nightmare.

Was replacing a cracked gear stick (with engine dipper switch) on my M9540. Removed the old one and plugged in the new one and tested it. Dipper switch seemed to work and all seemed well. I fixed the gear stick in place and now the following has stopped working:

1. First, the engine won't crack up or start. There's nothing when you turn the key.
  2. The PTO light on the dash is displaying the PTO as being 'on'. ThIS happens regardless of whether the PTO switch is set to on or off.
  3. The 4WD switch won't work or come on.
  4. The new gear stick engine dipper button won’t activate.
I've checked all the fuses and relays. I also swapped some relays around to try and diagnose if I had a broken one. This didn't seem to fix anything. Fuses all seem fine.

I would like to add that I've only checked the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay. And have checked the relays under the seat.

Everything was working fine this morning. Everything was find until I changed the bloody gear stick.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS: I don't know if I'm being paranoid or superstitious. But on the M9540 there are 3 screws to hold the gear stick in place. The top screw seems to hold the internal cable secure. All seemed well until I screwed the top screw in place. I’m just wondering if it crushed the cable and it's shorted something. However, I plugged the old cracked gear stick back in and that one no longer works either.

Here's more details:

Model: M8 VARIANT: M9540H-C

EEC NO/ E13*2003/37/0140

ID: M9540D

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not a clue what a gear stick even is but I bet it's an electronic engine and you have ECM issues. You'll need an authorized dealer and the Kubota scan tool to diagnose it.

Replacing parts on an electronic controlled engine is much more complex.

Backyard fixes are gone.

mrkip

Equipment
Jan 19, 2017
Burnley, UK
Sorry for the confusion, I'm from the UK so we probably have different words for certain parts.

The part I changed today was just the plastic housing/knob for the gearshift for the transmission which is located in the cab.

Hope that clarfies things a little.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Try getting back to where you started. If the tractor "thinks" the PTO is engaged it won't start.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Is it possible you had a battery cable connection to fail while doing this work? It might be good enough to allow some voltage or amps through but not full power. Had batter cable clamps on a battery once that glazed over and had it not been a friend told me pull them and clean out the inside of the clamps would have not found it.

Is it possible you pulled a connection loose on the gear shifter while working on it?

mrkip

Equipment
Jan 19, 2017
Burnley, UK
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone. I've tried a few suggestions and got nowhere. Anyway my tractor mechanic is coming today to take a look at it. If he fixes it I'll be sure to post the problem and fix on here.