m9540 LCD dead

blaisek

Equipment
m9540
Jul 28, 2018
BAKERSFIELD, ca
Hi all. Have two questions I hope you all can help me with.
First. I lost the LCD screen which shows the hour meter and PTO speed and a couple other minor things. Is there a place that sells LCD screens that may have one that will work or could build me one off the dimensions? Kubota only sells the complete instrument cluster which is over 800 bucks.
Second. Does anyone know where the hours are stored? In the instrument cluster or in the PTO/hour select switch or somewhere else. I would hate to spend the money for a new cluster just to have incorrect hours on the display. Everything else is working as it should on the cluster.
Any help is appreciated

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I looked at kubparts....
1) check the fuses and wiring ! could simply be a poped fuse or chewed ground wire.
2) hrs will be store in a 'chip' on the panel. Either the main 'computer' or a smaller 'data' chip

Kinda hard to properly diagnose without seeing a wiring diagram..going on 5 decades of elctronis here...

Changing the 'cluster' or 'panel'(kubs name) means hrs WILL be different. Now there's 2 options to retain your hours. 1) if the number is in the 'computer', a Kubtech with 'scanner' can put your hrs into the replacment cluster . 2) if the hrs are in a separate 'chip', yours could be installed into the new cluster.

Now 'somebody' at Kubota HAS to know about this as a dealer could be scammed big time on a 'low hours' trade in.....

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I looked at kubparts....
1) check the fuses and wiring ! could simply be a poped fuse or chewed ground wire.
2) hrs will be store in a 'chip' on the panel. Either the main 'computer' or a smaller 'data' chip

Kinda hard to properly diagnose without seeing a wiring diagram..going on 5 decades of elctronis here...

Changing the 'cluster' or 'panel'(kubs name) means hrs WILL be different. Now there's 2 options to retain your hours. 1) if the number is in the 'computer', a Kubtech with 'scanner' can put your hrs into the replacment cluster . 2) if the hrs are in a separate 'chip', yours could be installed into the new cluster.

Now 'somebody' at Kubota HAS to know about this as a dealer could be scammed big time on a 'low hours' trade in.....
Kubota dealers can not change, alter, or reset the hours on any unit.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the hours are stored in an internal memory-which is rom, can't access it can't alter it. When you get a new meter it will have zero hours and there is no way to change it without actually removing the memory module from the old meter and putting it into the new one. If you can do that, then I figure the chances of repairing a damaged meter is also achievable.

Cab models had some issue with the harness. If you remove the floor mat, you will find an access panel that runs fore and aft. Remove that and the harnesses & cables are under it. There are couple of harness connectors, very possible that one of the connectors is corroded/damaged-potentially causing your issue. So don't order a meter until you inspect the harnesses. I've run into this before and because I was working on this machine at the dealer, I had to charge for the time--but it was STILL cheaper than selling him a new meter, then finding out that the meter didn't fix his problem.

blaisek

Equipment
m9540
Jul 28, 2018
BAKERSFIELD, ca
Thank you for the responses.
A little more info on my part. This is an 06 ROPS model and it did have some wiring issues where the cluster harness had rubbed in a couple spots and created some shorts and popped some fuses. I have found and repaired those issues but the LCD is still blank. The LCD has spots in it like water got in it if that's possible. Also when I bought this tractor 3 years ago, the LCD didn't work(all the important gauges worked) but the small shop that sold it to me said they had done the maintenance on the unit since it was new and the hours should be under 2k(could have been lying to me). I didn't know much about tractors at the time so I went mainly on appearance and figured I could replace the bad parts and all would be good. Three years later I'm finally getting around to it. Since my first post, I reached out to a contact at the local Kubota dealer that told me the hours are stored in the cluster and will go to zero if a new cluster is installed. He said they put a sticker on the older units to indicate the hour discrepancy. He said the newer units can be changed with a lap top. Since I don't know the correct hours, I guess I'm hoping for a solution that's not very conventional. A new cluster will solve my LCD issue buy I still won't have the correct hour reading. Any ideas is appreciated

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd like to see a picture of the cluster, if possible. A good 'shot' of the 'chips', hopefully they won't have OEM #s. If the odometer is stored on a separate chip (usually an 8 pinner),it could be a 15min job for an ET to swap out. Sounds like you have an 'old' one as new ones can be updated with laptop( simple 5 minute deal). Car haulers used to have to goto an impound and have guv approved techs 'reprogram' MPH to KMH and viceversa....New ones, it's done in the 'infoscreen of hell'.....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't believe a laptop can alter anything in the ECM or the non volatile memory. One, the connectors to the ECM are proprietary Kubota so you need the correct connectors in the first place and 2, I believe only the Kubota Diagmaster tool can access anything and that is a dealer only item. The dealer leases it from Kubota. You cannot buy one.

Good luck, I think you'll need it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
diagmaster was around in it's early stages in about 06 only used on the m108x as i recall (I helped to develop it)

diagmaster is not used on m9540 nowhere to hook it up and even then the engine is mechanical so it wouldn't have much functionality.

Meter Panel is all self contained