Saturn

Equipment
Kubota L45
Jul 31, 2021
SWPA
Hello, everyone, new to the forum.
Looking at a used M9540.
Tractor seems to run fine.
However, when the key is placed in the "on" position the glow plug indicator light doesn't work.
The tractor starts fine.
Also, other indicator lights are also not working, 4wd, park brake , etc.
Four wheel drive and park brake are working.
It's just that the dash indicator lights are not.
Any ideas appreciated.
Rob

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Was the tractor previously stored outdoor or in open shed or rural barn? Mouse-eaten wiring is common in those situations.

When I bought my M4700 the seller did not disclose…and I foolishly did not ask “Does everything work as it should?”. Result: I found a week later the battery was not being charged, the low-fuel/no-charge combination warning lamp had been REMOVED by the PO (previous owner) to hide this fact. During the ”pre-buy inspection” (which admittedly was very cursory) the tractor was started (great start) and the FEL and PTO were operated… the tractor moved fwd/backward a few feet and the price settled upon. It was not run sufficiently-long to see if the temp gauge worked…it sat on cold…. and only after I got it home did I realize that gauge was inop.… and only after I put a meter on the alternator output did I realize the seller had hidden the fact it put out only 11-volts. (A clue was given by the seller… likely only to make himself feel “OK” about what he’d hidden…when I asked if he had any Owners or Service Manuals…. and he replied, ”No…all they do is feed mice.”
I HAD asked and it DID look like it was stored under a shed. The paint was sharp and the tractor was very clean and presented well. (It had 392 hrs on it.)

Yes… I did a poor job of ”inspecting” it. But I wanted a clean M4700 and otherwise this tractor met that requirement and I was excited to find one near to my home.
I was able to repair all those deficiencies fairly easily and without much expense. A new alternator from DB Electrical was $79, and Messicks emailed a wiring schematic so I could identify the temp-gauge sensor-wire and splice it. The local K-dealer ordered the fuel low-level/no-charge warning lamp holder/fixture the seller had removed… it was only $11 and was easy to install.

Bottom line for me was a very good result only because I am competent electrically and “ok” mechanically… (I just didn’t follow my own advice to others when pre-buy-inspecting…of hiring a competent inspector who is knowledgeable of the vehicle.)

In your case, it’s pretty obvious you have an electrical issue under the panel and you’re going to have to open ‘er up and make wiring repairs. It doesn’t sound disqualifying if the tractor actually works properly and only has panel-indication-issues. (But. Beware of electrical/indication issues regarding EPA/Emissions systems (if any). It might be possible a seller is attempting to hide Emission-System Indications that the systems are not working properly.)

Saturn

Equipment
Kubota L45
Jul 31, 2021
SWPA
Was the tractor previously stored outdoor or in open shed or rural barn? Mouse-eaten wiring is common in those situations.

When I bought my M4700 the seller did not disclose…and I foolishly did not ask “Does everything work as it should?”. Result: I found a week later the battery was not being charged, the low-fuel/no-charge combination warning lamp had been REMOVED by the PO (previous owner) to hide this fact. During the ”pre-buy inspection” (which admittedly was very cursory) the tractor was started (great start) and the FEL and PTO were operated… the tractor moved fwd/backward a few feet and the price settled upon. It was not run sufficiently-long to see if the temp gauge worked…it sat on cold…. and only after I got it home did I realize that gauge was inop.… and only after I put a meter on the alternator output did I realize the seller had hidden the fact it put out only 11-volts. (A clue was given by the seller… likely only to make himself feel “OK” about what he’d hidden…when I asked if he had any Owners or Service Manuals…. and he replied, ”No…all they do is feed mice.”
I HAD asked and it DID look like it was stored under a shed. The paint was sharp and the tractor was very clean and presented well. (It had 392 hrs on it.)

Yes… I did a poor job of ”inspecting” it. But I wanted a clean M4700 and otherwise this tractor met that requirement and I was excited to find one near to my home.
I was able to repair all those deficiencies fairly easily and without much expense. A new alternator from DB Electrical was $79, and Messicks emailed a wiring schematic so I could identify the temp-gauge sensor-wire and splice it. The local K-dealer ordered the fuel low-level/no-charge warning lamp holder/fixture the seller had removed… it was only $11 and was easy to install.

Bottom line for me was a very good result only because I am competent electrically and “ok” mechanically… (I just didn’t follow my own advice to others when pre-buy-inspecting…of hiring a competent inspector who is knowledgeable of the vehicle.)

In your case, it’s pretty obvious you have an electrical issue under the panel and you’re going to have to open ‘er up and make wiring repairs. It doesn’t sound disqualifying if the tractor actually works properly and only has panel-indication-issues. (But. Beware of electrical/indication issues regarding EPA/Emissions systems (if any). It might be possible a seller is attempting to hide Emission-System Indications that the systems are not working properly.)
Thank you for your reply:
The tractor is pre-emission: It has 3300 hours displayed on the dash. Some parts of the dash work properly.

When I first spoke to the dealer, he indicated that the machine worked well with no issues.
Like you , I didn't do a great job inspecting it.

The dealer is reputable.
When I pointed out that the indicators weren't working he was surprised. (He's not a Kubota dealer)
He called me several days later and said that the machine was functioning properly but the indicators weren't working.
Said he's selling below what he has into it so not likely to reduce price to accommodate issue.

I'm pretty handy with electrical but I don't want to buy a tractor and immediately have to start working on it not knowing how deep the rabbit hole might be?
Besides, I've searched the web and nobody has ever posted a resolution to this problem.

If it's a chewed wire, bad ground, fuse or relay I can probably figure it out.
If the cluster needs replaced, I can't even find a used one on the web.
Haven't looked into the price of a new one.

Not sure how to proceed.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Which model cab or ROPS. There may be different types of shuttles as well. A complete model and serial number would help forum members provide advice in the future if you purchase this tractor.

From what I see, the tractor does not have glow plugs but rather an intake air heater which is controlled by a relay.

The wiring diagram shows many more diodes than I have seen in other models of Kubota's. In my experience these diodes are vulnerable if a booster cable or charger is connected backwards. It is a complicated electrical system!

I am strongly behind Geohorn's advice to you stressing caution.

Have a Kubota dealer send a mechanic out to do field repairs. If it costs you $500 and fixes the issues it is money well spent. If it reveals serious problems being hidden and you walk away, even better value for the small expenditure.

The Messicks parts illustrations for
Kubota M9540HD (Hydraulic Shuttle, 4wd / Rops) Parts Diagrams

shows major engine parts like crankshaft with the word OLD after each part leading me to think this model has changed in some way over its lifetime.

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Said he's selling below what he has into it …
I don’t know your dealer or how “reputable” he might be…. but I think that line “selling below what he has into it”… is one of the oldest and most-frequent un-truths used by sellers.

Dealers are not into selling anything below what they have invested!

I suggest you make an offer on the tractor based upon those indicators being repaired before delivery…. and if he refuses to do that… walk away. IMO

Saturn

Equipment
Kubota L45
Jul 31, 2021
SWPA
Thanks Dave.
It's a ROPS model.
Has the shuttle, 4wd.
I don't have the serial #.
Agree with your suggestion to let a Kubota tech troubleshoot the problem. It would be money well spent. Zero chance of getting a Kubota tech out to this machine.
I offered the dealer (owner) an extra $300 to figure out the problem. (Three hrs. @ $100/hr.)
Going to leave the ball in his court.
If he figures it out, I'll buy it. If not I'll keep looking.
Thanks again.
Rob

Saturn

Equipment
Kubota L45
Jul 31, 2021
SWPA
I don’t know your dealer or how “reputable” he might be…. but I think that line “selling below what he has into it”… is one of the oldest and most-frequent un-truths used by sellers.

Dealers are not into selling anything below what they have invested!

I suggest you make an offer on the tractor based upon those indicators being repaired before delivery…. and if he refuses to do that… walk away. IMO
Good idea.
I really want to trust people.
It just keeps getting harder but I do believe the seller is a good guy.

thanks

Last edited:

Saturn

Equipment
Kubota L45
Jul 31, 2021
SWPA
OK.
Heard back from the seller.
He said they went through the wiring and found the following:

The pto indicator is working properly. (big deal for me)

The glow plug / heater indicator works if you supply voltage to it but is not coming on because it's too warm outside. He said that it should work when it gets colder but if it doesn't then it will need a new temperature sensor. (What do you think?)

The 4wd indicator and one other (can't remember) don't come on because there are no pins on the connector associated with the dash indicators. (it's a 4wd tractor. What do you think ? )

According to the seller the only thing not operating is the Park Brake indicator. He said it's probably the switch.

Seems like the dash panel ($925) is functional and any problems are wiring or relay associated?
I'm going to look at it again next week and I'm leaning toward buying.

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions appreaciated.
Thanks in advance.
rob