M8540 whine near hydraulic filters

Butler0020

Equipment
M8540D
Jul 28, 2021
Kentucky
I recently purchased an open station M8540 shuttle shift with a loader and only 1400 hours. Grew up with Masseys so I'm new to the Kubota family. Got the tractor for a good deal and really enjoy it for the most part. (rides rough on the hills I farm but I'll get over that) The previous owner did not do enough maintenance or cleaning like I'm accustomed to so there have been minor issues I've been working through. For starters there was trash in then water separator between tank and separator causing it to lose power, a mud dauber nest in the hydraulic vent hose under the seat causing fluid to purge out of the dip stick port, and a small hole in the muffler causing a minor exhaust leak. I think it was sold because he didn't want to take the time to solve these issues. I did a "full" service on the tractor new oil and filter, drained fuel, new water separator screen, clean fuel lines, clean water separator, new udt with new filters and both primary and secondary air filters.

I think the tractor isn't used to this much tlc because now there is a whining noise coming from the rear. From what I can tell it sounds like it is coming from somewhere in between the 3 point and the hydraulic filters. I've got the WSM and have been using the interactive parts find (major mechanical asset if you haven't used it) to try to solve my problems but I just can't seem to pin point where the noise is coming from or why it's occuring. Higher rpm range doesn't seem to change the noise in pitch or loudness just make it harder to hear.

Overall the tractor runs great and has no issues outside of that noise. Shuttle shift works as it should, gears don't grind or slip in any range, 3 point and loader operate as they should, and fluids are to the proper fill level. Has anyone ever had this issue or can think of possible reasons this could be happening? I didn't notice this noise when doing my initial inspection when purchasing the tractor which is why I mentioned the added tlc may have uncovered something. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Don't know for sure, but might be the hydraulic pump. Is a loader attached and does it work as it should? Could put a pressure gauge on the hydraulics to see if they are producing correct pressure

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
Move 3 pt control lever a little forward to move 3 pt from fully raised position. If whine goes away feedback rod for 3 pt hitch isn't adjusted correctly.

Reactions: 1 user