M7060 3 Pt Hitch Not Lowering Properly

Costnsg

Equipment
M6-131, M7060
Oct 18, 2021
Arkansas
Just joined this forum and this is my first post.

I purchased my 7060 early this year used with < 100hrs. It's a 2019 model. I also bought a new Bush Hog 316 and this is mostly how I have used the tractor. Recently I purchased a new 8" disc and the 3 point hitch issue is more of an aggravation with the disc which I raise and lower more frequently. So here is what I'm experiencing:

The 3 point hitch raises very well, but it will not let the implement down (usually) without first exercising the draft control lever. I keep the draft control all the way forward (float position) except when I'm lowering the 3 pt hitch. To lower the implement, I first lower the 3pt lever position (implement stays up), then I move the draft control lever about an inch back and then return to full forward. Then the hitch will lower. I can't believe it's supposed to operate this way, but I see nothing in the manual that sheds any light. Needless to say, this gets old when you are frequently raising and lowering an implement. The hydraulics are very strong on 3 pt and also on loader. The speed control knob has no bearing on this unless it is closed completely and then the implement stays up no matter what else is done. I've tried moving the speed control knob back and forth with the implement raised and position control lever in low position (without touching the draft control) and nothing happens.

I retired late last year after 40+ years and bought some land and some equipment. I grew up on a farm, but in those days there was no draft control on the 3 point hitches that I recall. Is this an operator problem because I'm doing something wrong? I will appreciate any insights the forum members may have to offer.

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
Have you tried adjusting the three point hitch lowering speed knob? Sitting in the seat it should be on the left almost under the seat.

Costnsg

Equipment
M6-131, M7060
Oct 18, 2021
Arkansas
Yes, I did address the question about the speed control knob. It doesn't have any bearing on allowing the hitch to lower, unless in fully closed position. With speed control fully closed, the hitch will not lower no matter what I do with the other controls.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sucking eggs and all that.....but the behaviour you describe really does sound like the speed control. If it were the speed control, then expected behaviour would be that it would go up fine (speed control doesn't impact lowering), but when lowering it would go down slowly.

I'm not all that familiar with draft control. Messicks did a video on it, and I vaguely recall it being for what you seem to be using it for - managing an implement's depth over terrain.

Things that cross my mind:
1. You think you've turned the speed control all the way off, but haven't. I know, you're probably not an idiot, but just in case, that'd be something I'd look at
2. The speed control is broken/stuck, so you're turning it off, but it's not actually going off. But in that situation I don't really see why messing with the draft control changes things
3. You need to disengage the draft control - so maybe leaving it in float stops the 3ph dropping. I saw some different stories on different makes about how you lift a 3ph with draft control - some people seemed to suggest you lift it using the draft lever. Makes little sense to me, but there's that too

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I'm confused when one states putting 3 pt in ""float position"". On most tractors including the M7060 the 3 pt hitch remains in "floating position" 100% of the time. If you don't agree disconnect attached 3 pt implement then lower 3 pt,engine idling then reach down & 3 pt lower draft arms can be easily raised by hand. Granted changing draft control lever can possibly affect control valve opening clearances due to altering linkages.

I agree speed control valve/knob should control oil flow out of 3 pt control valve to limit how fast oil exits control valve depending how much rate of drop valve is opened from fully closed position. I'm unaware draft control directly controls rate of drop of 3 pt hitch.

Draft control was designed to "automatically" raise/lower 3 pt hitch from amount of movement exerted on centerlink attaching bracket. Lower hole on bracket creates more movement(control) of 3 pt hitch control valve & upper attaching hole gives less control to draft control determined by how much movement rod in photo has.

Attachments

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
I'm confused when one states putting 3 pt in ""float position"". On most tractors including the M7060 the 3 pt hitch remains in "floating position" 100% of the time. If you don't agree disconnect attached 3 pt implement then lower 3 pt,engine idling then reach down & 3 pt lower draft arms can be easily raised by hand. Granted changing draft control lever can possibly affect control valve opening clearances due to altering linkages.

I agree speed control valve/knob should control oil flow out of 3 pt control valve to limit how fast oil exits control valve depending how much rate of drop valve is opened from fully closed position. I'm unaware draft control directly controls rate of drop of 3 pt hitch.

Draft control was designed to "automatically" raise/lower 3 pt hitch from amount of movement exerted on centerlink attaching bracket. Lower hole on bracket creates more movement(control) of 3 pt hitch control valve & upper attaching hole gives less control to draft control determined by how much movement rod in photo has.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
I have the same tractor and that is not normal operation. I leave my draft control all the way forward and never mess with it, as nothing I do needs its use. I would guess the draft control is out of adjustment. I downloaded the WSM online somewhere, don't remember where but it is available free. I would suggest you do the same and start with checking those adjustments.

Costnsg

Equipment
M6-131, M7060
Oct 18, 2021
Arkansas
Sucking eggs and all that.....but the behaviour you describe really does sound like the speed control. If it were the speed control, then expected behaviour would be that it would go up fine (speed control doesn't impact lowering), but when lowering it would go down slowly.

I'm not all that familiar with draft control. Messicks did a video on it, and I vaguely recall it being for what you seem to be using it for - managing an implement's depth over terrain.

Things that cross my mind:
1. You think you've turned the speed control all the way off, but haven't. I know, you're probably not an idiot, but just in case, that'd be something I'd look at
2. The speed control is broken/stuck, so you're turning it off, but it's not actually going off. But in that situation I don't really see why messing with the draft control changes things
3. You need to disengage the draft control - so maybe leaving it in float stops the 3ph dropping. I saw some different stories on different makes about how you lift a 3ph with draft control - some people seemed to suggest you lift it using the draft lever. Makes little sense to me, but there's that too
PaulL,

1. I moved speed control from full open to full closed and it doesn't allow the 3ph to lower unless I touch the draft control. I have tried this multiple times because I too think the speed control should be what would prevent the hitch from lowering.
2. I agree.
3. Seems improbable to me, but this is my first experience with draft control

Costnsg

Equipment
M6-131, M7060
Oct 18, 2021
Arkansas

Draft control was designed to "automatically" raise/lower 3 pt hitch from amount of movement exerted on centerlink attaching bracket. Lower hole on bracket creates more movement(control) of 3 pt hitch control valve & upper hole gives less control to draft control determined by how much movement rod in photo has.
Tx Jim,

I took the "Float" terminology from the Kubota Owners manual for the 7060. It seems to just mean the most insensitive position on the draft lever (full forward). I agree on all your thoughts about how it should work. I was hoping I might be doing something wrong, but I am now thinking something is wrong with the controls.
I used the tractor more today and each time I want to lower the implement I first push position control lever forward (nothing happens), then I pull the draft control back about 1 inch and the return to full forward, then the implement goes down. Unless the speed control is closed fully, in which case the implement will remain up.
I plan to visit the Kubota dealership and see what they have to say. I also own a M6-131 with draft control, but I've never had anything on the 3ph, at least not yet.

Costnsg

Equipment
M6-131, M7060
Oct 18, 2021
Arkansas
I have the same tractor and that is not normal operation. I leave my draft control all the way forward and never mess with it, as nothing I do needs its use. I would guess the draft control is out of adjustment. I downloaded the WSM online somewhere, don't remember where but it is available free. I would suggest you do the same and start with checking those adjustments.
Dusty, that's exactly how I expected it to work. I like your suggestion on manual. I assume WSM is a service manual.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Costnsg, I too have an M7060, I use it with the draft fully forward. I’ve never had any issues as you describe. The 3pt goes up and down no problems. I did have the speed control seized up when I got the machine. ( It took a lot of friggin to get it to operate. The ‘tube’/rod that rotates the valve could spin on the valve if it’s not pinned on or falls apart with rust like mine did.)
Once you have the manual, I’m sure you’ll see there’s some adjustments for the draft control that may need some adjusting, it’s an issue that’s been mentioned on various posts and fourms. Good luck

Costnsg

Equipment
M6-131, M7060
Oct 18, 2021
Arkansas
Status Update:

I have the 3ph working properly now on my 7060. Yea! Stop reading now if the details bore you.

I did download the service manual as suggested by Dustyx2 and focused on the section on position and draft control linkage. I started with the position control and adjusted the position control rod back to factory specs, then went on to do the other adjustments listed in the manual. Well, I could not achieve right results before going back to reset the position control linkage back to about where it started. Bottom line, there was no issue with the position control settings. The lift arms worked fine with no implement, both raising and lowering, and so I decided to test it by putting the implement back on. No good. It still would not lower with an implement on without moving draft control lever back an inch and return to full forward.

Next, and after reading the manual for adjusting the draft control, I realized the draft control works based on force from the top link. There is another rod called a draft feedback rod and I figured it would be the key. I adjusted the turnbuckle a little in what turned out to be the wrong direction and the implement would not lower no matter what I did. But, when I turned it the other direction I was able to solve my problem. The surprising part is that I measured the rod against the turnbuckle before I started and it only took a 1/16" adjustment (1/4" total change in rod length) to make everything work properly. It now raises with the position control lever and the speed control valve works as it should too. I didn't have the tools to fully test the draft control as outlined in the manual, but I am not really worried about that.

Thanks for all the advice from you folks on the forum.

Reactions: 1 users