M7040 using hydraulic fluid

Ruskyhog

Jan 2, 2018
Wills Point, Texas
I have a 4x4 cab M7040 with hydrastatic shift and the past two days I have spent approx 7-8 hours each day moving dirt with the FEL. I checked this evening and noticed I was low on hydraulic fluid. Yesterday before I started I checked the level and it was good. There was no indication of fluid leaking out under the tractor this morning when I started and there is no indication of any leaking anywhere on the tractor. Is it normal to be low on fluid after spending two days of non-stop use moving dirt, raising/lowering the FEL constantly & repetitive going back and forth between forward and reverse?
Thanks in advance for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Hydraulic fluid is not a consumable item, if it uses it, it must be going somewhere. External hose and fittings leaks are one, depending on your model, if the front seal on the hydraulic pump is faulty it will end up in the engine, check your engine oil level.
Temperature affects oil level, check it each day, first thing before starting, when parked, level ground, bucket and 3pt down. This way there will be no air in the fluid, no temperature expansion. If it's still losing it, it's leaking and going "somewhere"!

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
About the only place I can think of .hyd oil can go on a M7040 if not leaking on ground/floor is the clutch housing

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I had one of the curl hydraulic hoses on my M9540 spring a pinhole leak that took quite awhile to locate as it only leaked when under pressure and in a position with the hose in a tighter 'curl'. If the other suggestions don't locate the leak, I would suggest checking your hoses a little more closely. If you have someone else to watch the hoses while you operate the loader you might find the leak a little sooner. I just got lucky and noticed the leak from the cab.

Luckystars

Equipment
M5950 M1840A RTV900 CLUB CAR CARRY ALL 1
Mar 1, 2018
Webster FL USA
I had one of the curl hydraulic hoses on my M9540 spring a pinhole leak that took quite awhile to locate as it only leaked when under pressure and in a position with the hose in a tighter 'curl'. If the other suggestions don't locate the leak, I would suggest checking your hoses a little more closely. If you have someone else to watch the hoses while you operate the loader you might find the leak a little sooner. I just got lucky and noticed the leak from the cab.
Also NEVER check for this type of leak with your hands. This much fluid pressure will cut skin.
Park on clean flat ground and run the hyd. to the stops. All the way up and hold it for a few seconds. All the way down same thing for dump and curl.

I do not know how it is on your machine but if the arms were in a different position form yesterday the missing fluid could be in a cylinder.
I hope that helps, good luck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think you can get some dye to put in the hyd fluid to help determine leaks. John Deere dealers have some. Don't remember what color it is.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I think you can get some dye to put in the hyd fluid to help determine leaks. John Deere dealers have some. Don't remember what color it is.
You can buy the complete UV leak detection kits on ebay.

This kit has dyes for oil, coolant and Air Conditioning. Includes special UV flashlight and googles. I have had great luck with these systems.

As you will see on ebay, cheaper stuff is available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracerline...879225&hash=item4d479e86cb:g:gI4AAOSwRgJXj6BP

Amazon.com also sells the product.

Just remember, in addition to the UV dye, you need the special UV flashlight and glasses.

Once you have the flashlight and glasses, you can buy the dyes for more leaks or different leaks including coolant and AC

Dave

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Was it sitting in the same location when it was checked? Some tractors fluid level will really be affected by ground conditions.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I thought the Hydraulic Shuttle model everything ran in hydro fluid. I think you would see it leaking if it was in the clutch housing. It the clutch housing sealed??
Hyd shuttle is a sealed clutch assembly that is engaged with hyd oil. In front of shuttle is cavity that contains the engine flywheel & dry damper clutch. I inspected M7040 parts schematics & it appears clutch housing has a breather at the top with some plugs at the bottom one could remove 1 of the plugs to check for possible presence of oil.

Ruskyhog

Jan 2, 2018
Wills Point, Texas
Thanks for all the assistance. I ended up finding a fitting that was loose on my tree puller and the way it was leaking was not causing any of the fluid to fall on or hit any metal and was being soaked up by the brush. Thanks again for all the suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk