M7040 tight steering, moaning and 4wd issues

Ruskyhog

Jan 2, 2018
Wills Point, Texas
I bought a cab 7040 with a 1000 hrs, excellent shape all the way around. The dealer was replacing one of the front hubs (I think, can’t remember what he was calling it). Once I got it home and was using it I played with the 4wd drive and noticed that when I push the lever down the 4wd indicator light wouldn’t go off, I know driving forward/backward will help it to disengage sometimes but when pushing it down it doesn’t fill like it goes down all the way. I continued to drive around and noticed the light did go off but it still feels like the steering is tight almost as if it’s in 4wd. Also when I’m driving there is a groaning/moaning noise coming from it sounds like under the steering wheel inside the dash almost. The dealer said they did all new fluids on it before I took delivery, could it be low on hydraulic fluid or is it something much worse? Being the weekend I’m not able to contact the dealer.
Thanks for all the help
Josh

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
I will suggest to check hyd oil level. Dipstick is located on rear of trans case above pto shaft. When I purchased my used M7040(137 hrs on hour meter) the steering made funny sounds. After many hrs of operation the sounds disappeared. Hour meter now has 1460 hrs showing. Do you know if frt axle king pins have been greased?

Last edited:

Ruskyhog

Jan 2, 2018
Wills Point, Texas
I'm not sure if the front axle king pins have been greased, where would I find those grease fittings at? I checked the hydraulic oil in the rear and it appeared to be at the appropriate level.

r40kh

Nov 22, 2011
Canada
There's also a grease point on the steering joint shaft that you can check. You have to open the engine bonnet to see it.