M6950 Injector Pump Removal

Equipment
M6950
Aug 22, 2021
Ottawa
M6950DT. I have low pressure at injectors all of a sudden, no start and no smoke when turning over. I bypassed both fuel tanks and ran directly to lift pump, same issue. Lots of fuel under injector cover. Changed filter as well. I can hear the solenoid working as well. The stop switch is in the correct position. My next move is to pull injection pump to have it rebuild. I am not sure how to to pull the gear, any advice ?

It also looks like the collar (120) and bolts aren't there (130). Does this make any sense?

Attachments

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Losen the center nut. Leave it on . Give it a tap with a hammer. Normally the tapered shaft will break lose from the gear. If not you can make a small puller and thread two bolts into the taped holes. You have a scribe Mark on the mounting flange to the timing cover. That normally is lined up.

Reactions: 1 user

Equipment
M6950
Aug 22, 2021
Ottawa
Losen the center nut. Leave it on . Give it a tap with a hammer. Normally the tapered shaft will break lose from the gear. If not you can make a small puller and thread two bolts into the taped holes. You have a scribe Mark on the mounting flange to the timing cover. That normally is lined up.
Is there a key on the shaft or something? What aligns the gear and pump shaft position ?

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
I would make sure there are no restrictions in the lines, fitting and banjo bolts before I removed the injection pump. You are talking a good chink of change to have it "rebuilt" and if that does not remedy your issue you are out that and still have to diagnose the issue.
There is also a screen in the inlet of the injection pump. If I remember right there is a plug opposite the inlet fitting that you can remove and then remove the screen. The end of the pump also comes of with the 4 capscrews. Just be careful you don't loose any seals or the vanes on the end of the rotary pump.
I may have some documents or manuals for the pump in my folders of tractor stuff. If I find them I will post them.
I only know this because my brothers 8950 had similar issues and it turned out to be crap lodged in the banjo fitting at the secondary fuel filter

Also make sure your return line and fittings off the top of the injection are clear. If the pump does not have a free return line it will not send fuel to the injectors

Equipment
M6950
Aug 22, 2021
Ottawa
I got some banjo fittings and bypassed everything but the injection pump. I still have low pressure at the injectors so it's looking like a rebuild

Salty Seminole

Equipment
M6950DT
Jun 8, 2013
Jupiter,Florida,USA
M6950DT. I have low pressure at injectors all of a sudden, no start and no smoke when turning over. I bypassed both fuel tanks and ran directly to lift pump, same issue. Lots of fuel under injector cover. Changed filter as well. I can hear the solenoid working as well. The stop switch is in the correct position. My next move is to pull injection pump to have it rebuild. I am not sure how to to pull the gear, any advice ?

It also looks like the collar (120) and bolts aren't there (130). Does this make any sense?
I had same issue. After spending several days trying to start the tractor we diagnosed there was no fuel getting to the injector pump. Traced the problem to the fuel filter and we found two o ring gaskets at the top of the fuel filter. When the fuel filter was changed the old o-ring was left in the housing and a new o-ring was installed with the filter. The second o-ring would not allow fuel to leave the filter. Simple fix once we removed the extra o-ring.