m6800 stop solenoid questions

wingchop

Equipment
m6800
Nov 11, 2015
strong me
I have a m6800 kubota tractor that was running fine then parked it for the night came back next day and tried to start it but it would run in the start position but when you release the key back to the run position it quits after 1 or 2 seconds.If you hold the key in the start position it will stay running from the other forums i have read im thinking it could be the stop solenoid but other people have suggested that maybe the ignition switch could be to blame i'm wondering if there is an easy way to check the stop solenoid to see if it bad rather then take the dash apart first since the solenoid is easy excess and suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated thanks.Also it being veterans day the local shop is closed any idea how much one of those stop solenoid costs roughly?thanks for any info

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Probably the stop solenoid. Don't remember that they cost, they aren't cheap but not outrageous either. Should be able to look up the part number and then google it for a price.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Sure, easy check. Put a voltmeter or test light on the hot wire to the solenoid. (1) Turn the key to On position. Do you have Voltage?

(2) If No, turn key to Start position (you can remove the "S" (start) wire from the starter to prevent cranking the engine - or let it crank over). Do you have voltage now?

If the answer to #1 is No and #2 is Yes, you have a bad ignition switch (or bad wiring).

EDIT: Note that some tractors have a "Key Stop Solenoid Relay" too. When the key is On it sends power to Stop Solenoid AND the Relay. Power to the relay's internal coil then "holds" the relay contacts closed which then keeps power flowing to the Stop Solenoid to keep it in Run position. This method reduces constant current flow through the ignition switch.

Last edited:

wingchop

Equipment
m6800
Nov 11, 2015
strong me
ya i found a link on this forum the solenoid said 149bucks not bad easy change will let you know what it is after fixed thanks

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Seems like stop solenoid.
When you find it, theres usually 3 wires.
Ground,start and hold. With key on one of the 3 wires going to solenoid should show power. If it does,solenoid is bad, if no power then further diagnosis on ignition wiring is necessary.

To run tractor, you will need to disconnect solenoid linkage and operate fuel cutoff manually. Some need a wire to hold open.

wingchop

Equipment
m6800
Nov 11, 2015
strong me
thanks mike much appreciated advice going to try and see what happens i knew there was a way to check without taking the whole dash off first