M62 TLB will not start after "playing" with intellipanel "service inspect" functions

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
M62 TLB (550ish hours) will not start (will not turn over) after I looked at all of the intellipanel "service Inspect" functions "A", "B", etc... The order of events are as follows:

1) I got a P0336 error. I changed the engine sensor 1J800-59710 as recommended by two different shops. This seemed to fix the issue.
2) Also at the same time I changed the oil and filter - no issues.
3) After a few hours of driving after these two services I decided to clear the error and reset the oil service hour.
4) Reset oil service to 0 hour
5) Entered the intellipanel "service Inspect" functions by holding down "display mode" and turning key to start.
a. Click "display mode" to move curser to "D".
b. Held down "display mode" button to enter the "D" function.
c. "Want to clear error? Hold button for 3s more" displays and I held the button down for 3 more seconds.
d. "Cleared" displayed.
e. "Turn off the KEY" displayed.
f. I turned off the key.
6) Turned on the key and verified the P0336 error was not displayed. All was well.
7) I then decided to look at what all of the functions did so I scrolled through each letter "A, B, C, D, I, J, K, L, M, N"
8) While scrolling I changed "J" function from km/h to mph - this is the only thing I changed (at least knowingly) and I tried changed back but this does not fix the problem.
9) After looking through these I was done and I tried to start the tractor - it would not turn over. It does nothing similar to if one of the "safety" switches is not set. I checked each safety switch and all were set correctly.
10) I went back into the "service inspect" functions to see if I changed something. I found that "K" "HST Fine-adjustment Mode" when selected and after pressing forward and reverse with the pedal I could then "start" the engine. It would run but it is in some type of "test mode" because I can't go forward or reverse.
11) Tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting but this did not change anything.

This must be a computer issue caused by my "playing" with the "service Inspect" functions. The local dealer has about an 8 week backlog so I am looking to get this up and running myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Shop manual might have some clues as to what you might have done. Argh! You are living my worst nightmare with these awful button push menus. Maybe you could haul it in and beg? Would take a tech with a laptop only a couple minutes.

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
Shop manual might have some clues as to what you might have done. Argh! You are living my worst nightmare with these awful button push menus. Maybe you could haul it in and beg? Would take a tech with a laptop only a couple minutes.
I have not been able to locate a Workshop Manual for the M62. Any suggestions on where to look?

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
Check that all the connectors are plugged in properly, especially the sensor you changed
Good idea - I pulled the sensor plug and tried to start it in the "test mode" that I have used to verify the engine can kick over. With the sensor un-plugged the engine will turn but not ever start. I plugged the sensor back in and the engine starts in the test mode. Back out and try to start normally and nothing happens like before - so no luck on the sensor or sensor plug being the cause.

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have checked this first as it was the last item serviced.

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
I made some progress on debugging this issue. After I tried the sensor connection I thought about how I turn on in this "test mode" I describe in the original post. To do this I enter the intellipanel "service inspect" function "K" "HST Fine-adjustment Mode" - then press the HST (Gas) pedal forward and then reverse and then take my foot off - then turn the key and the engine will crank over and start but its some type of test mode which only allows the hydraulic pumps to work which is great as it allows me to lift the bucket gaining access to the engine but it will not move forward or reverse in this mode.

I took this concept to the "normal" start procedure. I turned the key to start (not turning the engine) and waited a few seconds for the panel to go through its pre-start routine - then pressed the HST (Gas) pedal forward and then reverse and then remove my foot from the pedal - then turn the key and the engine cranked over and started. It seems everything is fully functional except the "Auto Throttle Advance" button can not be selected.

This must point to the HST or "Auto Throttle Advance" as the root issue. Maybe I mistakenly adjusted one of the intellipanel "service inspect" function "K" "HST Fine-adjustment Mode" settings but I have no way of seeing how I would have done this.

...the debug continues.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Try the dealer you bought the tractor from, and try the Kubota website. Try also asking Kubota tech support online. As far as big bucks is concerned, I think I paid $110 for a paper copy of L3560 ordered from dealer. At that time no online sources had digital copies, but after all it is a copyrighted book. Dealers now will sometimes will email you a pdf or download one onto a flash drive, either for free or some smaller sum than for a paper copy.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have the WSM in pdf for the M59 but it won't have any of the new pollution controls in it. If you bought the machine new from the dealer have a chat with your sales person. I can't find the PM features on this new website.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have the WSM in pdf for the M59 but it won't have any of the new pollution controls in it. If you bought the machine new from the dealer have a chat with your sales person. I can't find the PM features on this new website.
Hover your cursor or click on the name you want to PM, on there it will say start conversation. ;)

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
I found a shop with a copy and ordered it. Thanks for the offer! I heard the M59 and M62 are very similar - its good to know for the future.

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
Is
Try the dealer you bought the tractor from, and try the Kubota website. Try also asking Kubota tech support online. As far as big bucks is concerned, I think I paid $110 for a paper copy of L3560 ordered from dealer. At that time no online sources had digital copies, but after all it is a copyrighted book. Dealers now will sometimes will email you a pdf or download one onto a flash drive, either for free or some smaller sum than for a paper copy.
How do I reach Kubota tech support? Is it via email or online chat or phone?

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
...some more debug info:

When I start the engine via the strange combo of:
1) key turned on;
2) press the HST (gas) forward, reverse, letgo;
3) turn over the engine;

A few other functions do not work while the engine is on in the mode:

1) the "Auto Throttle Advance" button can not be selected and therefor the throttle does not increase rpms
2) High / Low (rabbit, turtle) does not work - its always in low
3) "crawl mode" does not work
4) Regeneration does not work - I passed the 100% mark but can't engage the Regeneration.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Is

How do I reach Kubota tech support? Is it via email or online chat or phone?
Go on the Kubota website and look for the address to send email to. Many issues they will refer you to dealer, but they might be able to get you a source for the shop manual. You might get someone who could talk you through a complete reset of all those parameters.

However if you can't run a regen, STOP screwing around and take to dealer. I haven't a clue which settings are now out of whack, but if you don't get it to regen, and continue to use the tractor you could either have it shut down to protect the engine, making it hard to load up, or you will end up with expensive repairs, and replacement of dpf filter. Sorry for the pessimistic view, but it's a nice new tractor. Many things in emissions system are likely still under warranty but not if operator has done something wrong.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
D is the incorrect mode should have used b

d has some fine tune settings. review the wsm for what to do with that

b resets meter panel error codes but don't remove the code from the engine ecu that is only done via diagmaster (dealer only)

also p0336 is a crankshaft sensor error but that doesn't mean teh sensor is bad it can also be wiring ecu connector(s) or even a flywheel issue you replaced a sensor and there is no guarantee that will fix it, if it comes back then you just wasted some money. i went through this with a 3901 and we put multiple sensors on it, a complete harness (twice) and then later on found out that the flywheel was mismachined causing the p0336 issue. replaced flywheel and the issue was resolved permanently

one reason i don't typically tell people to go into the panel's functions and fiddle. much of the info online is incorrect. always best to use the appropriate software but that is not available to the consumer dealer and KTC only.

and lastly be mindful of online service manuals as there are revisions for differnet locations. i had a guy come to me with a messed up 4701 a while back and come to find out 2 different "shops' worked on it and couldn't figure it out. Mind you, they put a lot of time into diagnosis and couldn't figure it out. I contacted both shops and they were using online service manuals which were sourced from some non-usa location and they were a little different. When in d mode you will have differences depending on where the book is designed to be used. If you are in usa use a usa specific book. Like i said d mode is for fine tuning the hst throttle and a bunch of other stuff, real easy to get to a point where you can get confused and forget what the original values were--which can make the hst not work, or throttle, or whatever. that's what the correct book is for.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I'm not mistaken if your at 100% on the regen, you'll end up having to have a dealer do a forced regen via a computer to make it right.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If I'm not mistaken if your at 100% on the regen, you'll end up having to have a dealer do a forced regen via a computer to make it right.
Depends on how screwed up the Intellipanel is. When the bar graph reads 100% the ECU will ask for a regen. If it hasn’t gone too far, or too long, and the panel gets straightened out they may be able to trigger a regular or a parked regen. However it seems likely it will take a dealer to straighten out the settings and the other issues.

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
I have a service scheduled but the earliest I could get was Feb 23rd - I was hoping to figure it out before then. However, at this point it looks like my tractor will be sitting until then. I'll be taking the advice you all have given and stop tinkering for now. I do have a workshop manual on the way - this should be useful for the future.

Thanks for all the help - if sudden inspiration hits any of you please send it my way; otherwise, I will post the final report after my service. This all seems so crazy to me as I just scrolled through and viewed the A-N functions - but live and learn I guess. It did bring me here and as a new tractor owner I can see this forum will be great for the future. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

dereckbradley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62
Jan 7, 2021
CA
FYI: I wrote down all of the intellipanel "service Inspect" functions for my version of the M62. Based on what I have read and some replies here Kubota must change around what each letter represents. This list is for a 2019 M62 - who knows if software or firmware updates are used to change this around.

A - Level Indicators
○ Battery (Voltage)
○ Coolant (deg)
○ Fuel (Voltage)
○ Engine (n/min)
○ Throttle 1 (Voltage)
○ Throttle 2 (Voltage)
○ Range (Voltage)
○ Pedal 1 (Voltage)
○ Pedal 2 (Voltage)
○ Swash 1 (Voltage)
○ Swash 2 (Voltage)
○ Forward Sol (current)
○ Reverse Sol (current)
○ PTO rev. (n/min)
○ Intake 1 Temp (deg)
○ Intake 2 Temp (deg)
○ Outlet Temp (deg)
B - Speed Coefficient (four digit number)
C - PTO Coefficient No. (1, 2, 3, 4)
D - Clear error codes
I - Transmission Model (HST, GST, Manual)
J - Speed Unit (km/h, mph)
K - HST Fine-adjustment Mode
L - Throttle Sensor Fine-adjustment Mode
M - HST-SP No.1, HST-SP No.2 [through] 9
N - Tractor Model Set-A (0-4)

Reactions: 1 user