m5400 7ft dozer blade

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
Hi all
I bought this m5400 tractor from the original owner about 20 years ago and it was taken to an enclosed building. The guy bought it new and he also got the fork attachments k3958 ,a 7ft dozer blade ,la 1007 bucket.Al of this was placed in storage with the exception to the blade . The machine has 145 hours on it. I discovered the machine i had forgot about and had it serviced and checked out. Looks as good as it was purchased since it has not seen sun or weather for 20 years. My question is regarding the blade. It has never been placed on the machine and in looking at it i am not sure if the bucket is supposed to come off or was there something i am missing. I have been unable to find a picture of a machine with a blade. It was still on the pallet with the hosed zip tied but the weather has destroyed the hoses and the hydraulic fittings.
I have the original paperwork and it just indicates 7ft dozer blade $2200.00 and no part number.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Can you give us a photo of the connection from the front end loader to the bucket and the dozer blade? Are they skid steer quick attach (SSQA)?

Just curious how a guy buys a tractor and attachments and forgets about them for 20 years? Sounds like most of it is in like new condition. I’ll suspect the M5400 with 145 hours would sell for more than it cost new (not accounting for inflation).

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
Hi have several million dollars in heavy earth moving equipment. all big stuff. I bought an rv park for teh land and he had just purchased the machine for dumping trash in the dumpsters. He wanted to retire so ask me if i would give in 10k for machine and all the attachments so i grabbed it and placed it in a secured tilt up bulding where we keep old more antique machines. The would run it couple times a year if they needed to load something on a truck. I stopped by a couple weeks ago and remembered i still had this so brought to the main shop and serviced. I will put it up for sale once i figure everything is there.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Sounds like a (snow) plow blade. It could be a 3PH backblade though with cylinders. One attaches SSQA or pin on? The other 3PH.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I wish I had an M5400 that I just forgot about....for 20yrs ! LOL

Best I've ever done is found a $20 bill in my Levis after it's been through the washer & dryer.

Congrats !

(sorry, I don't have a serious answer/reply for you......sounds like you are quite a few levels above my pay grade)

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Hi have several million dollars in heavy earth moving equipment. all big stuff. I bought an rv park for teh land and he had just purchased the machine for dumping trash in the dumpsters. He wanted to retire so ask me if i would give in 10k for machine and all the attachments so i grabbed it and placed it in a secured tilt up bulding where we keep old more antique machines. The would run it couple times a year if they needed to load something on a truck. I stopped by a couple weeks ago and remembered i still had this so brought to the main shop and serviced. I will put it up for sale once i figure everything is there.
So that how.

Give us some photos and we might be able to help better with your initial question.

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
I wish I had an M5400 that I just forgot about....for 20yrs ! LOL

Best I've ever done is found a $20 bill in my Levis after it's been through the washer & dryer.

Congrats !

(sorry, I don't have a serious answer/reply for you......sounds like you are quite a few levels above my pay grade)
Not a pay grade thing just time. i am almost 70 years old and bought my first case 310 diesel when i was 17 and been in heavy construction ever since. It likely does sound odd forgeting about a macine but to me there just tools. I bought this kubota because the guy just basically gave it away. He bought it to load a dumpster every week but neglected to measure the width of the bucket. The bucket still had paint on the cutting edge. He wanted to retire and had no need or place for the machine. I had no use for it since my equipment is construction not farm so i stuck it inside thinking it might have a use some day.

Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Back to the original question, that tractor’s front end loader has a pin on bucket. It has to be removed by driving the pins out. The snow plow would then be pinned on. I think I can see the 3rd function hydraulics on the FEL, which have likely never been used.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There were some blade options that went to the frame, but you would know it as it would have a huge subframe on it.

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
Back to the original question, that tractor’s front end loader has a pin on bucket. It has to be removed by driving the pins out. The snow plow would then be pinned on. I think I can see the 3rd function hydraulics on the FEL, which have likely never been used.
I think you are correct. There is also a forklift atachment he bought and the width seemed different then the plow when i held them together making me question the attachment . Now i need to look closer at the forklift option.The pins on the forks seem correct just not the same width.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Seems like the original owner might not have gotten the best information they could have from the dealer when they bought all this equipment. I think they could have gotten an L series of the era in a similar size to with a SSQA loader so that the implements could easily be swapped over. Especially if the main task was to dump trash in a dumpster. Doesn’t take a full on M service farm tractor to do that.

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
Seems like the original owner might not have gotten the best information they could have from the dealer when they bought all this equipment. I think they could have gotten an L series of the era in a similar size to with a SSQA loader so that the implements could easily be swapped over. Especially if the main task was to dump trash in a dumpster. Doesn’t take a full on M service farm tractor to do that.
The guy has long passed away so no harm in showing what they did to him. Reading the paperwork they seem to have gotten him on everything. Kinda sad really. He had an older smaller machine he continued to use and is still running on site. His new machine that he was making payments on lived in a carport he had build to keep it under cover. I dont even know what this thing is worth or a desirable piece for guys.It seems to big for homeowners.

Attachments

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Accounting for inflation, that’s about $65k today. But I’m sure you could get $35k for the whole set up right now with little trouble.

Looks like you bought it right about the time he would have paid off the $19k balance on it.

Last edited:

iasm

Equipment
m5200
May 8, 2023
seattle
Do you guys think this site is a good place to sell or should i use craigs list. I am in seattle.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Hahah....I graduated high school one month after ole Bill bought that tractor.

Hmm...interesting that they did sell it as a dozer blade too.

No 0% back then neither.....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Do you guys think this site is a good place to sell or should i use craigs list. I am in seattle.
Just MHO, but I think any tractor in like new condition, should bring a premium price in the Seattle area.
That said: Why not try here on OTT, as well as Craigs list.
Do a bit of homework on internet listed comps, and don't give it away.
May take several months to find the right buyer.....but may not too!