M4D-071 problems

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I have a m4d-071 with 85 hours on it,, bought new in october 2019. The front wheels seem to turn faster than the rear when it is engaged, tires are 320/70/24 & 420/75/34. If you are sitting still and turn the steering wheel it only turns about a quarter of the way either way until you start moving and then it has a random wining noise that seems to be hydraulic, I was told that one of the lines was undersized and that kubota is working on redesigning that line. Anybody else run into this?

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
the over driven front end is normal for the most part, Im not sure how they are doing the steering on the M4 as its appears to be a departure from Kubota M series. if its a steering box thats powered then the stiffness and hyd noise is normal, the L01 has that style and has noticeable feedback and hyd noise when trying to steer when static. get a video and host to youtube of your complaint.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
The steering is hydrostatic I think, no linkage to the front axle just a cylinder and hoses, the noise seems to go with the 4wd more than anything but sometimes it does it when I'm just driving around and not every time th 4wd is engaged.
Seems like to me if it is normal for the front wheels to be turning faster that would put a lot of stress on the transmission I have had other 4wd and never noticed anything like that.

Last edited:

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
The steering is hydrostatic I think, no linkage to the front axle just a cylinder and hoses, the noise seems to go with the 4wd more than anything but sometimes it does it when I'm just driving around and not every time th 4wd is engaged.
Seems like to me if it is normal for the front wheels to be turning faster that would put a lot of stress on the transmission I have had other 4wd and never noticed anything like that.
i figured it was hydrostatic steer but wasnt sure. one would think it would steer through a loaded front end static then? wonder if they have the pressure set to low or the orbit motor is bypassing? I would defiantly give a call to your selling dealer, every large M i have ever messed with had extremely light and powerful steering! as for the over driven front, Im pretty sure 1-2% is there target over drive. I know is trucks and cars, the front is over driven to help them drive straight in slick conditions, not sure why they do it on tractors. pretty much every tractor I have ever worked on is like that.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I have been in touch with my dealer , they are suppose to take it back in, I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same issues I am. I like the tractor if they can get these bugs out of it. 2019 is the 1st year they offered it in the USA so some issues are to be expected.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I just checked 420/75/34 and 320/70/24 are correct, I dont know how to post a picture on here or I would

Last edited:

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
Your tractor is equipped with "bi-speed turning". This feature can be used whenever the steering angle of the front wheel exceeds approximately 25 degrees, the front wheels automatically start turning nearly twice as fast. The result is the tractor can make tight turns smoothly.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Always been my view that front wheels have to rotate faster as the outside diameter of the front's is always less than the rears, least on Kubota's. Called 'Lead-Lag'

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Your tractor is equipped with "bi-speed turning". This feature can be used whenever the steering angle of the front wheel exceeds approximately 25 degrees, the front wheels automatically start turning nearly twice as fast. The result is the tractor can make tight turns smoothly.
Though the rather rare and expensive Bi-Speed Turn option may still available on a few larger Kubota tractors sold in the US, it is not available on the M4.

SDT

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
2 more things I have discovered, when sitting still with the loader up off the ground the steering system will not turn the wheels from lock to lock, it goes about 1/4 of the way and stops, I can turn the steering wheel with a little effort but the wheels do not move any further until you start to move. I took the loader off and it does fine without the extra weight.

I'm sure everyone knows this as it seems to be common with kubota but if it gets above 85 outside the air struggles so my dealer checks it out and says that's why everyone tints the windows, so I bought a brand new tractor and have to spend $1300 to tint the windows in order for the air to cool properly, does that seem crazy to anyone else? That is for the best ceramic tint that blocks about 90% of the infrared heat, I could get cheaper tint but I dont want to go to all that trou le and still be hot.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
So I talked with my dealer and kubota, they both agree that the air and steering are working within specs so dont buy a kubota if you want to be able to sit still and turn your steering wheel or stay cool without spending over a $1000 to tint your windows. Good job kubota!!!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If it costs you a grand to tint the windows, I'd say you are getting a royal screwing.

The Kubota ac system, in general, is marginal under the best conditions (good air flow through the condenser and evaporator, clean intake filter and clean heat exchangers), nothing new there, been like that for years. Kubota decided to move the ac components under the seat from on top of the cabin space and made it even harder to service. To get maximum output you need to have maximum air flow through the condenser in the engine bay and the only way to achieve that is the addition of an external 12 volt cooling fan, which most owners add.

Airflow through the various heat exchangers in the engine bay, is marginal when the motor is not at rated rpm. The cooling fan has a lot of work to do, all the time. Like I stated, keeping the components clean and the addition of an electric fan really helps as well as keeping the radiator clean and free from dust, chaff and debris. I clean mine daily when I'm farming.

...and the intake filters need to be kept clean as well as the cabin heat exchangers. Any lax maintenance on any of the ac components equals poorer cooling.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I understand the cleaning and I keep it clean so that it can have good air flow but why should a customer have to take a brand new tractor (96 hrs now) and modify it with a fan or window tint just to make the air cool, it still goes back to poor design. I checked 4 places on the tint, I was a little shocked too but they were all about the same

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
... when sitting still with the loader up off the ground the steering system will not turn the wheels from lock to lock, it goes about 1/4 of the way and stops, I can turn the steering wheel with a little effort but the wheels do not move any further until you start to move. I took the loader off and it does fine without the extra weight. ...
I have a M7060HDC12 which is basically the same tractor as yours without the wider cab.

Today I stabbed an approximately 1,800 lb round bale of hay and lifted it as high as the loader would allow. The front wheels turned from "lock to lock" without any hesitation at every position, The engine was at idle and the tractor was not moved.

What I would do is go to another dealer and ask to try out a M4D-071 and see if you get the same results. Don't tell them what you're doing or looking for. Most dealers will let you test a tractor on their lot so you will not generate any hard feelings.

As for tinting... If you do any night work with your tractor good luck with seeing anything!

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
That is the way it should be, I dont understand why kubota is acting the way they are, I thought about trying another one like you said.

Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bulldog did his own tint, you might want to PM him and ask for guidance. He farms way farther south than I do and his ambient summer temps are much higher than mine are.

My ac has never been as good as my car is, but it keeps me from sweating at least. Never been what I'd term 'cold' in the cab, ever. Lots of 'greenhouse' glass all around.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Not sure about the steering, but the window tinting I do know. Use a clear ceramic tint from 3M. It blocks the heat from entering the cab. I have both windshields of my trucks done with it. No problems seeing at night.