M4500 PTO problem

Orop

Jul 5, 2020
British Columbia. Canada
Hello,

Wanted to do some mowing today and the Live PTO on my M4500DT did not engage. When I selected the Ground PTO it worked fine. The last time I mowed using the Live PTO setting it worked fine but the metal brushcutter blades hit a rock and the I had to replace the implement shear pin. Have not used it for mowing since.
Is there some sort of internal shear pin that could be affected or is the problem something else?
Thanks for any pointers you may have.

Cheers!

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Hello,

Wanted to do some mowing today and the Live PTO on my M4500DT did not engage. When I selected the Ground PTO it worked fine. The last time I mowed using the Live PTO setting it worked fine but the metal brushcutter blades hit a rock and the I had to replace the implement shear pin. Have not used it for mowing since.
Is there some sort of internal shear pin that could be affected or is the problem something else?

Cheers!
Welcome!

My offering as a relative newbie to this forum: sometimes the PTO engagement lever is balked by the gear teeth position and may needs several attempts to engage. Did the lever go all the way it usually does when you tried to engage the live PTO, or did it persistently stop short?

Some of the M4500's had a 2 speed PTO - speed shift lever on RHS of PTO. If yours has it, is it between gears rather than engaged (I don't have one on mine, so I don't know how feasible that is).

I assume you are using the PTO clutch engagement lever - don't laugh, a neighbour didn't know his tractor had one so he just made the gears grind away until the PTO powered device started spinning and caught up to the engine speed.

Internal shear pin? I don't think so.

Reactions: 1 user

Orop

Jul 5, 2020
British Columbia. Canada
THanks John,

My system is simple - 2 levers, 3 options - Live, Ground or Neutral. Yes, I use the PTO clutch. Will try your suggestion and again engage the live PTO.
Cheers!

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
THanks John,

My system is simple - 2 levers, 3 options - Live, Ground or Neutral. Yes, I use the PTO clutch. Will try your suggestion and again engage the live PTO.
Cheers!
Hi Orop - success, or no? If not can you give a bit more info on the lever position - does it move to the normal fully engaged position? Any other observations?

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Hello,

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum.
I use an overrunning coupling (ORC) on our M4500 (or any of our other tractosr )when using a rotary cutter to save wear and tear on the pto clutch. I get some gear clashing when I try to engage the pto when using the clutch lever because the gears are not synchronized. I don't believe there is an internal shear pin in the pto drive. I believe the clutch is supposed to take care of impact overloads by slipping but the ORC will not let the loads be transferred that far through the gear train and if it is damaged it can be repaired or replaced without dismantling the tractor. In looking at the parts manual I don't see anyway for the pto shifting mechanism toto be damaged by impact because all it does is to slide a gear in to the pto shaft to engage the shaft. So maybe there is some damage to the gear that will not allow it to slide. I'm not that familiar with gear train design or mechanical mechanisms so take that with a grain of salt.

Orop

Jul 5, 2020
British Columbia. Canada
Well, when showing the problem to my neighbour the PTO shaft started to rotate when set to Live PTO. What do you know? Will keep my eye on the issue but hope it was only a one off! Thanks and CHeers!