M Series Remote Valves

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I use a detent valve on my M9960 to operate the single acting lift cylinder on my Woods BW-15.50 BW cutter. This valve is the standard position 1 valve on my 9960.

Since inception, the mower has been annoyingly slow to lower, whereas raising speed is appropriate.

Assuming that there was a lowering adjustment on the valve, I ignored the issue, thinking I would adjust the valve in the off season.

After searching in vain for a lowering adjustment on the valve, I asked the trusted tech at my dealer who told me that there is no such adjustment.

Anyone else experience such issue with an M series and have a remedy?

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have the flow control segment option on my M9 cab tractor that controls the fluid flow to the top set of valves.

Are you sure there isn't a restrictor in the line at the cylinder inlet. My one JD implement has a steel restrictor orifice in the line to the lowering cylinder that controls movement so the implement don't 'slam down' when the pressure is relieved on the cylinder.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have the flow control segment option on my M9 cab tractor that controls the fluid flow to the top set of valves.

Are you sure there isn't a restrictor in the line at the cylinder inlet. My one JD implement has a steel restrictor orifice in the line to the lowering cylinder that controls movement so the implement don't 'slam down' when the pressure is relieved on the cylinder.
Don't think so but not sure. Nothing about such in the Woods Owner's Manual. Besides, it's a single acting cylinder and it lifts quickly.

Only lowering is slow.

SDT

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If it's single acting that's probably just the nature of the beast. It lifts under pressure but only has gravity to lower it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Relieve the pressure and pull the hose from the cylinder fitting and look inside. If there is a restrictictor disk that is where it will be at, in the cylinder inlet fitting under the hose connection.

Reason I say that is my JD Mower-Conditioner I have as a spare is set up like that. cutter head lift cylinder is single acting and it raises quick, but descends slowly so as not the slam the head down. Has a metal disc in the inlet port with maybe a 1'8" hole through it.

My NH round bailer is also like that but 2 lift cylinders, both plumbed together but both single acting. The weight of the tailgate and the bale tension springs close the tailgate., but no restrictor in the line.
If it's single acting that's probably just the nature of the beast. It lifts under pressure but only has gravity to lower it.
Exactly sort of SDT. Pressurizing the cylinder is 1200 psi+ hydraulic pressure, gravity is lowering it and no where near that much pressure, why I think there is a restrictor washer on the line.

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
Don't think so but not sure. Nothing about such in the Woods Owner's Manual. Besides, it's a single acting cylinder and it lifts quickly.

Only lowering is slow.

SDT
The remotes on my 7060 operate the same way for my LP3712 Batwing. Raises quickly.... lowers slowly...

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The remotes on my 7060 operate the same way for my LP3712 Batwing. Raises quickly.... lowers slowly...
Thank you.

I'll look for a restrictor at the cylinder hose connection.

If I find one, perhaps I can bore it out a bit.

SDT

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I do ...or did....not have rear remotes on my ‘96 M4700 and I figured it would be just too expensive to add it now ... until I found THIS product. I’ve contacted the maker and found Andy to be very customer-oriented and extremely easy to deal with.... and now I’m giving myself rear-hydraulics for Xmas! (The introductory price in this older video is no longer available, so check for current pricing):

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks good. Didn't check the price but has to be less than the OEM valves and linkages. Shame on you for buying a tractor with no rear remotes...lol

I did a front set similar to his for my power angle snowplow. Used one set of my rear remotes to feed the FEL set. I have 6 out back, 3 pairs. Most I ever use is 2 sets at a time., just figured I'd get all 3 when I bought the tractor (cab) and my used one open station had 3 sets on it when I bought it. The cab also has flow control on the top set.

Only thing I don't like it the rear bracket. One hole mounts don't cut it for me. really need two so it don't move sideways.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Looks good. Didn't check the price but has to be less than the OEM valves and linkages. Shame on you for buying a tractor with no rear remotes...lol

I did a front set similar to his for my power angle snowplow. Used one set of my rear remotes to feed the FEL set. I have 6 out back, 3 pairs. Most I ever use is 2 sets at a time., just figured I'd get all 3 when I bought the tractor (cab) and my used one open station had 3 sets on it when I bought it. The cab also has flow control on the top set.

Only thing I don't like it the rear bracket. One hole mounts don't cut it for me. really need two so it don't move sideways.
The price is considerably less than OEM and takes less than two beers to install. It’s a beautiful solution to an otherwise discouraging project.
One of the things I like about it is that the FEL joystick will control the rear implement. AND...if you make a dual installation, the fwd/aft stick contols UP/DN (such As a toplink) and the Left/Right FEL joystick will control TILT of a blade or other movement....which makes the FEL joystick movement intuitive without confusion.
The Dual installation still mounts on the same bracket snuggled up beneath the FEL valve. (y)

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That would never fit on my cab tractor as the control valve for the loader is outside the cab entirely. The valve is cable operated from inside the cab.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
That would never fit on my cab tractor as the control valve for the loader is outside the cab entirely. The valve is cable operated from inside the cab.
It would only require a set of custom-hoses, which I’d bet Andy would do for you. He’s a participant here I’ve discovered... TractorInnovations is his username I believe.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not only custom hoses but the loader stanchion as well as the cable operated linkage. Cab tractors have the loader joystick INSIDE the cab on the right side. The OUTSIDE valve is operated remotely via linkage and cables.... and it mounts BELOW the cab floor, not high up on the loader side frame.

Last edited: