M 8540

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a question for any of the 8540 owners. Do any of you have clutch problems. The one I ran yesterday had a awful feeling clutch. It was very stiff to push in and when trying to start off unless it was really feathered it would just grab and launch. It felt more like a drag car clutch than what you would expect to have in a tractor.

Another question, do any of you have problems with the engine running hot? Not over heating in the red hot but run up toward the red when under a load.

I may get to work with this tractor more often and I would like to hear anything that would help in the future. Thanks guys. :D

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
My M5140 is the same series, but I'm guessing a very different tractor. One thing that surprised me when I got it was how easy and smooth the clutch was......best of anything else I've driven. Something sounds out of whack on your 8540. Am interested what you find out on that and the temp issue.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The owner told me he has adjusted the clutch every way he could think of trying to get it both easier to push and take the jerk out of it and nothing has worked. Said it has been that way since it was new. I asked why it wasn't taken back to the dealer or at least have them come look at it. He said it was there first Kubota and they just figured that's how a Kubota acted. The rest of their tractors are either NH or JD.

I'm curious as well to hear what some of the others have to say.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Ours is very light, one of the best we have, but the hydraulic clutch pack is not designed to "feather". I've talked to several M95/8540 owners and they are all the same.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
All this info does help, sounds like the 8540 I was using has some kind of clutch problems. I know it's nothing like what I've been used to from any of my Kubotas.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I have shuttle shift and the clutch works great.
As to heating, mine will run worm if I dont really blow out the radiator regulary.
Hope that helps

E/S