Lx2610: tire ballast or not??

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
For the 6% in sales tax you will pay on your purchase you might be able to rent a skid loader that would be better suited to your task. Home Depot rents skid loaders at some locations. Might be worth considering. Good luck.
Bingo.

I would simply hire someone with the right equipment to do the excavation work.

Second choice, rent the right equipment.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Everyone is giving wise advice to rent, and if time matters a lot to you it's what you should do.

But if I were you I'd do exactly as you're doing. Now that you've explained you're really just filling in the root balls, plus spreading some top soil, that's well within the capability of an LX. Slow perhaps, but fun every day, and lets you experience your property and slowly work out all the minor slopes and hollows that you can fill, how the sun moves during the day, exactly what orientation you want that house to capture or avoid the sun.

I don't really see where you'd need to fill the tires. Running a FEL with full buckets and without 3ph ballast is really hard on the front axles. An LX is a lighter weight machine than an L, working it hard with the FEL will load the axle a lot. It's not that it won't do it, it is of course rated to do it. But when you run 3ph ballast it acts as a lever - it's pushing down behind the rear axle, so it's lift the front wheels (if you put enough weight on the 3ph the front wheels come off the ground = zero weight on the front axle).

It's not a big deal either way, worst case you take the tires entirely off, dry them out, refill them. I wouldn't do it personally because I don't think you need it, and if I filled them I'd never get around to emptying them again. As I originally suggested, I'd try it without them filled first. If that's fine, then you don't need to fill them. If it gives you problems, you can get a cheap adaptor and fill them with a hose....water is actually fine if you're not in freezing country (and Florida is definitely not that).

Otherwise, I'd agree with your assessment. Lots of people have ideas for how you could do things very differently, but if you're aiming to spread the dirt yourself and to buy a reasonably new machine to do it, the LX sounds like the machine to buy for your needs. It's about the right size, and gives you the option of a mid mower later (which the L wouldn't). If the aim is to keep it forever after, it's about right for that property.

Reactions: 1 user

ltblazer2001

Equipment
LX2610
Feb 14, 2023
Punta Gorda, FL 33982
If it’s best to start a different thread, let me know, but I’d like to keep the wisdom together on one if that is acceptable. In my own unprofessional opinion I think I’ll stick to the lx2610. But perhaps a twist for you guys!!

my local shop wants $30k for brand new lx2610/loader/60”bucket,3function/tax
Plus $5k for trailer. 35 total

There is a guy on fb selling an lx3310/loader/bucket/stump grinder/trailer/3function with 29 hours, asking $32k. I’d sell the grinder, so maybe into it for $31 total. Maybe I can get him down to $29k with fresh $100 bills.

Both are the cash prices. Fb can be sketchy and buying used is a concern. I liked the idea of buying local for ease of getting the tractor serviced by same shop.

here is fb add:https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/810043626732435/?mibextid=6ojiHh

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You may get financing with the new buy.
FB may be a scam, or have an issue.
The saving isn't as much as I might want for the risk (however small). How close is the FB guy to you? Does he look legit, is he a friend of someone you know, or just FB marketplace? Any explanation for why selling?

I don't think servicing is an issue. The dealer don't care whether you bought it from them or not - they make most of their money from servicing, not from the initial sale. So servicing with no initial sale is still a good deal for them.

Trailers that come in package deals like these are often.....not that good. Take a hard look at what you're getting there. Not all third functions are equal - the OEM one is good, some of the after market less good. Check that too.

Actually, looking more closely, the LX33 is quite a bit more expensive new than the LX26. So maybe it is actually an excellent deal. Do you need the extra HP though? The 33 comes with emissions equipment. That's not a big deal for me, and for your use I'd guess you'll run it reasonably hard (= running it hot, which the emissions controlled equipment likes). I don't see it as a deal breaker, others would.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
Water in close proximity to steel (rims) = rust.
I have seen rusted through rims because they were loaded with something that rusted them out.
I would not put water inside any tire.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Have never put ballast in my rear tires. One reason is that I trailer it occasionally and want to keep the weight down. I prefer to always have a counter weight on the rear which also saves the front axles as previously mentioned. This has almost always been the back hoe but I plan on getting a ballast box for my new lx2610. Tractor is more tippy than my older b7200 was especially with the cab. The ballast box with hitch will also let me pull my trailer from the rear. With my b7200 I would leave the hoe on the rear and drive in reverse into the woods with the trailer on the front loader hitch.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lt. Non sibi sed patriae !
And yes fill the back tires, and a MMM will cost you much less than a zero turn and make selling it much easyer. R14 tires are a bit of a bastard tire, a cross between the turf and the R4's and Aggie tires, some like them Im not impressed with them. And trust me that 2610 is not too large, there will always be something you will need to do, in fact you will find things you didnt know you needed to do with it. Slow and easy think every move through and then again, stay safe. Remember you have a small tractor not a 988 so slow and steady