Lx2610: tire ballast or not??

ltblazer2001

Equipment
LX2610
Feb 14, 2023
Punta Gorda, FL 33982
Hi folks. I will try to keep is short. Just got out of Navy and bought 2.5 acres to build a house on. I hired an excavation company to dig out and haul 130 damaged pine trees rootballs and all, that’s done. What is left is dirt and 2.5 acres that looks like it was bombed. Still have 15 trees on perimeter. I am planning to use a landscape rake to clean up the property then I need to bring in approximately 100 truck loads of dirt. I plan to do 10 loads every 2-3 weekends or so until the job is done and will take a few weeks off of work during the summer to work. Instead of hiring any more excavation guys, I’m considering buying a tractor that I can tackle the raking annd dirt spreading and have during the house build (doing house owner-builder). Once the house is done I’ll probably buy a zero turn for mowing and just buy a used brushhog for now. I have lots of questions, but here is the main. I think I narrowed it down to an lx2610. I doubt I will use the mid pto, but seems like better resale value in future. It’s all flat florida land.
For the dirt moving I’m thinking I’ll use a grading scraper and 60” bucket and lots of practice. The lx is overkill once the house is done I know, but I have a lot of heavy work to do first so I don’t want to go too small. I like the idea of the creature comforts like the seat on lx, which should be good since I’m planning to do 20 hours each weekend.

Is the LX2610 to big or small for the dirt work?
Should I consider the larger R-14 tires with spacers and filled with water (mid mower would be out of question) or will the smaller R14 tires filled with water be good enough?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I have the cab version with the loader, snow blower, backhoe and mid-mower(60 inch). Helped a buddy dig a basement for his house. Are you looking at the cab version? I was one of the first to get this model and no larger size tires were available when I got it. The LX2610SU did offer that larger size tire but, no mid-PTO. I did do rim-guard in the rears and 2 inch spacers.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You will need ballast if you're using the loader for moving dirt. However, the grading scraper may be sufficient ballast, and on flat land there's no real reason you'd need filled tires.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better with a bigger / different machine for that initial work, then sell it and get the right machine for the house build phase? As an example:

I'm not experienced enough to say what machine would be best for moving dirt and levelling, but I'd guess a dozer or a mid-sized excavator might do it a lot better than a LX2610. A machine like that would probably sell for around what you bought it for, cost of ownership for a year would probably be a few thousand.

For house building, typically an old TLB would be what people look at. Does a bit of everything, and the backhoe would be very useful for drainage, footings, trenching for cables etc. The arm can also be used to lift things like frames and roof trusses, which an LX2610 won't do as well.

If you're set on a new machine and on a budget, then an LX is a great machine. It just doesn't quite feel like the right machine for the job you describe, and a bigger but second hand machine could give you a lot more use.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Every small tractor with a loader needs fluid filled rear tires
A lot of people say this. Yet I have a B2601 with a loader and my tires aren't filled. I have a ballast box. If my tires were filled I'd chew up my lawn every time I mowed.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have the LX 2610 SU, which comes with the larger tires (R4s in my case). It is a very stable tractor with the larger tires (I would expect that it is very stable with the standard tires); you will not need spacers on your "flat Florida land". As others have noted, you will need fluid in your rear tires. I have windshield wiper fluid, but if you are far enough south water might suffice.

The LX will certainly do the dirt work you need, but I would suggest buying a box blade versus a grading scraper/land plane. The box blade will help move/spread much more dirt faster, and it will level everything too (with a little more skill than a land plane). A land plane will require much more bucketing, which will take more time.

FWIW - if the seat is the only important thing lacking in the LX SU, you can replace the original SU seat with the better seat for about $700 (no modifications). In terms of resale, who knows if a mid-PTO is important. If a person bought your tractor, they would have to go out and buy a new mower deck - a significant expense. Buying a used tractor and having to buy a new mower deck does not sound too appealing.

Farmersfarmer

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 12, 2023
Alabama
Hi folks. I will try to keep is short. Just got out of Navy and bought 2.5 acres to build a house on. I hired an excavation company to dig out and haul 130 damaged pine trees rootballs and all, that’s done. What is left is dirt and 2.5 acres that looks like it was bombed. Still have 15 trees on perimeter. I am planning to use a landscape rake to clean up the property then I need to bring in approximately 100 truck loads of dirt. I plan to do 10 loads every 2-3 weekends or so until the job is done and will take a few weeks off of work during the summer to work. Instead of hiring any more excavation guys, I’m considering buying a tractor that I can tackle the raking annd dirt spreading and have during the house build (doing house owner-builder). Once the house is done I’ll probably buy a zero turn for mowing and just buy a used brushhog for now. I have lots of questions, but here is the main. I think I narrowed it down to an lx2610. I doubt I will use the mid pto, but seems like better resale value in future. It’s all flat florida land.
For the dirt moving I’m thinking I’ll use a grading scraper and 60” bucket and lots of practice. The lx is overkill once the house is done I know, but I have a lot of heavy work to do first so I don’t want to go too small. I like the idea of the creature comforts like the seat on lx, which should be good since I’m planning to do 20 hours each weekend.

Should I consider the larger R-14 tires with spacers and filled with water (mid mower would be out of question) or will the smaller R14 tires filled with water be good enough?
Well, your post initially raises several questions. An average truck for fill is 10 yards so you're saying that you're raising the elevation with about 1000 cubic yards of fill dirt. That's quite a job for a tractor of the scale mentioned using a bucket and blade. You have a 108,900 square foot lot and although unlikely that you'll elevate the entire lot, it yields 27000 cu. ft. not including compaction rate. Just curious where 100 trucks, either 10 or 16 cubic yards, came from in your estimate. You''ll be pushing around enough dirt that drainage will be a definite consideration for you and any next-door neighbors if they exist. You also will have your ingress-egress to consider and any compaction that's going to be required for access and the home's footprint, typically required in one-foot lifts. If your lot requires a septic rather than a sewer tie-in, the rules and regs for both the septic and the leach field can give you a run for your money if you plan on doing it yourself. You mentioned Florida so you'll have soil bore tests unless already completed to determine the composition of the virgin soil and what your finished soil can support. If there are organics in the compaction areas, it will almost certainly require excavation and brought back to height with compacted soil. If you're already skilled in shooting grades with a transit, then you're likely good to go but if not, then you could easily find yourself pushing a great amount of material around only to find yourself overworking it time and again to reach your goal.

An L series with the implements mentioned will certainly top $20k out the door. The scope of the work you're mentioning is generally addressed with a small dozer that you can rent and save yourself a good deal of money in the process, regardless of whether you want a tractor for chores and maintenance after your home is finished.. If you're going to perform the compaction yourself, then you can rent one as well. Depending upon the fill type, you may also need a water truck in order to obtain proper compaction. It all depends on whether you have past experience in earthwork and preparing a lot. Florida's codes are among the most strict around, so to keep your costs under control you'll want to get it right the first time around. The soil found most typically in areas where 10-yr pines exist in FL is sandy loam and it's fairly easy to compact, so in your calculations for what you're having trucked in you'll need to make sure to include the correct compaction rate to have the necessary fill. The other issue to consider is that among other relevant FL codes, your below-grade footings typically require establishment in virgin soil, so if you're elevating the home on grade and some degree of the immediate surrounding soil with trucked in fill, you may require a spread footer and stem wall configuration to achieve the necessary height for your slab on-grade. I don't know what your architectural plans specify, but a great deal can change when you elevate the footprint of the home on a lot. You don't mention whether any portion of your lot is marked in the floodplain and whether that constitutes the reason for elevation.

You mention owner-builder but nothing regarding experience in earthwork and preparing the lot for a home other than "a lot of practice." I suppose my point is that all the considerations mentioned are just part of what makes a successful use of time and equipment in tackling a job like the one you're contemplating. As mentioned, if you have experience in that regard then all of my points are somewhat redundant. You could be a civil engineer for all I know. But if not, then you may want to spend a lot more time in your planning phase before your trucks start rolling into your job site with all that fill.

Incidentally, a grader blade can do a good job leveling a discrete area of land or unpaved roadway but doesn't move much earth compared to something like a 72" box blade for a tractor that size. Again, the right size rental dozer is a far better choice for both moving earth and grading it, particularly where you'll have proper drainage and ingress-egress to consider. Just some points to consider as you prepare your lot and build your home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A lot of people say this. Yet I have a B2601 with a loader and my tires aren't filled. I have a ballast box. If my tires were filled I'd chew up my lawn every time I mowed.
In that case, you are more interested in a machine for mowing than doing dirt work and heavy lifting with the loader.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
In that case, you are more interested in a machine for mowing than doing dirt work and heavy lifting with the loader.
Yes and no. With a ballast box I can do both, and it's gentler on my front axles. With fluid fill I'm locked into one configuration.

In the case of the OP, he's clearly planning dirt work then sell it. In which case fluid fill may make sense, but I don't think it's essential by any means. What's essential is that you ballast sufficiently.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yes and no. With a ballast box I can do both, and it's gentler on my front axles. With fluid fill I'm locked into one configuration.

In the case of the OP, he's clearly planning dirt work then sell it. In which case fluid fill may make sense, but I don't think it's essential by any means. What's essential is that you ballast sufficiently.
Fair enough. I have just never liked or owned a ballast box. I’d rather use a combination of loaded wheels and a useful implement, because most of the time when moving dirt it is necessary to have a blade for grading or spreading. But I only rotary cut native grass and brush with my tractor and don’t use it on the lawn.

ltblazer2001

Equipment
LX2610
Feb 14, 2023
Punta Gorda, FL 33982
Wow you guys are amazing and full of knowledge. Perhaps a little more context is in order And I misspoke a little. 100 trucks is an estimate but will be for the whole process and not continuous every weekend. (20 trucks for the task below, 4-6 loads for backfill stemwall, then 30 or more loads to hide the septic mound and grade. The tractor won’t be used for the footers or pad work or trusses. Mostly initial land prep for yard, driveway, to backfill the stemwall once it is built, and general maintenance/cleanup. I am not planning to put any dirt on the house footprint because as Farmersfarmer pointed out we have to scrape away to virgin soil for the footers anyway. A 4 course stemwall is required and a septic. (I’m not installing septic either). Most of the build work will be subs, but I’ll be the overseeing GC.
I am a glorified bean counter (CPA), now. I started college in the Navy and finished with the GI Bill as soon as I got out. Thank you all for funding my degrees. I live in the city now and love every minute I get to pretend like I’m a farmer on the weekends out on the property. I’ll ake what I can get until house is built. I’ve already burned approximately three truck load equivalent of tree limbs and pine needles using a neighbors B2601 and grapple, but I feel like I need more lifting power and need to buy my own gear.

The task at hand is raking the topsoil, filling the void left by the missing six (18 yard) truckloads of rootballs with 6-10 loads of dirt, leveling out the topsoil with another 10 loads, grading a temporary 10’ x 100’ driveway and 30’ x 30’ parking area to place a big shipping container using crushed concrete/57stone, then seeding the property with temp grass so that it’s not a total mud pit once we start the build next year. I originally priced out the cost of hiring someone to do just this initial task and the price was $22-25k. Or I can “try” and do it myself for $7k in material and use the rest to pay down on a tractor. The one thing I don’t have is experience, and the thing I have a lot of is Time; at least I will after tax season. I like to learn and I’m not affraid of long hours and hard work. I appreciate the idea of buying a dozer but I’ve got my heart set on a tractor, just not sure what size/tire options. I appreciate you guys!!

beerguzzlingslob

Equipment
B2601
Feb 15, 2023
U.S.A.
Go for it. I have a B2601 with backhoe, but with the loader and box blade I have moved tons and tons. It just takes more time than bigger equpiment. I wouldn't consider using a loader without filled tires. Sometimes you need to lift high and it can get pretty sketchy witout the added weight.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That's a great description. For that task, I'd look hard at an L. About the same price as the LX, more capable machine for dirt work. You give up a bit of "luxury" features, and you give up the mid-PTO that it sounds like you won't use anyway. You gain weight, torque and capability.

If you're doing a lot of dirt work you should consider a couple of rear remotes, allowing you to run top and tilt. You can do it by hand (I do), but if you're doing it a lot then you may enjoy the hydraulic adjust more.

Grapple is a must, so that's also a 3rd function.

I know you said you'd get a zero turn eventually, but there's really no reason you can't mow with an LX2610. If you think that could be a possible future, then go the LX instead to get the mid-PTO. Since you're landscaping your property from scratch there's no reason the lawn wouldn't be flat, and all the landscaping wouldn't be placed so an LX can get around it. If you're not backing and turning sharp the whole time, then an LX will mow just as well as a zero turn. Well, will mow well enough. And you can get a 72 inch deck - if you're going to end up mowing all 2.5 acres (you potentially will), then a 72 inch deck will make you very happy.

I guess the other alternative is the L with a rear finish mower. Again, 72 inch easily, and for long straight runs they're magic (or so people say). Again, if you make everything level then no reason you can't run close to full speed.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, I have: moved and spread over 100 tons of gravel and leveled several sites (30x30, 15x30 and 12x12 - each had about a 1.5 to 2 foot slope in hard, red Georgia clay with lots of and even more rocks). I used my LX SU, a box blade and for leveling a Bosch rotary laser kit. I made very few adjustments to my top link - no need for top and tilt or the remotes.

Unless you go to a significantly bigger machine, you will not complete your work any faster. The bucket on the LX series is approximately the same a the Ls (not including the L47). A struck bucket on an LX of crusher gravel weighs approximately 700 lbs., and gravel weighs more than dirt. So, having the slightly higher lift capacity of an L2501 is meaningless; both the L and LX will move the approximately the same amount of gravel or dirt with each bucket full. The small torque advantage of the L 2501 will also not make any practical difference when using the box blade. Also, you typically lose traction long before you lose pulling power with a box blade full of dirt or gravel.

Either an LX or L2501 would be a great choice for your tasks, but neither will out shine the other in actual use.

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
For the 6% in sales tax you will pay on your purchase you might be able to rent a skid loader that would be better suited to your task. Home Depot rents skid loaders at some locations. Might be worth considering. Good luck.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Sounds like a great project if you have time…I think before you get through the first 5-10 truckloads on a B sized machine you will wish you had a bigger machine…thats sort of some serious work there…I think maybe rent the right tool / pay to have done and get a B size if you like crumbing or maintenance there after…just my opinion…but a B sized machine will most certainly eat an elephant one bite at a time…they be little bits though with that scale of work….If settled on a B, I think maybe try to figure out what the cadence of truckloads of dirt to be delivered will be and what size machine need to keep up. After that job is completed I don’t think an LX is over or undersized unless you need more lift capability…an LX or B sized machine is sort of ideal for that size limited really by weight and lift capability. I have a B and an MX and honestly I don’t know if I would bite that off with the MX…I think TLB would be better bet but I think renting correct excavating machine machine or pay to have done right if at all worried about drainage…then get something smaller like an LX or B to touch up after ground settles…I am not sure in your area, but where I am at need about two years or freeze thaw and precipitation to get all settled then need to touch up…lx or B would be idea for that and other general maintainence. Just my opinion. 🥃

ltblazer2001

Equipment
LX2610
Feb 14, 2023
Punta Gorda, FL 33982
Again, I appreciate all of you!! In my narrow mindedness I feel like most agree the LX with the R14 tires allowing the mid mower if I decide to get in the future should do the trick. We’ll give it a shot!! One more question is it reasonable to think that I can fill the tires for a couple of years until the house is complete then have the water drained from the tires so I don’t damage the finished grass or am I forever stuck with filled tires?

beerguzzlingslob

Equipment
B2601
Feb 15, 2023
U.S.A.
Again, I appreciate all of you!! In my narrow mindedness I feel like most agree the LX with the R14 tires allowing the mid mower if I decide to get in the future should do the trick. We’ll give it a shot!! One more question is it reasonable to think that I can fill the tires for a couple of years until the house is complete then have the water drained from the tires so I don’t damage the finished grass or am I forever stuck with filled tires?
They can be emptied almost all the way by unscrewing the Schrader valve. Not sure how to get the last of it out, since the only time I did it was when and old tractor had the rim rust through. LOL
Edit. added, I still like your first idea of selling it after the lawn is in. A compact tractor is definatly overkill for 2.5 acres. Heck even a lawn tractor can handle that, but a zero turn is faster.

Last edited:

Farmersfarmer

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 12, 2023
Alabama
Wow you guys are amazing and full of knowledge. Perhaps a little more context is in order And I misspoke a little. 100 trucks is an estimate but will be for the whole process and not continuous every weekend. (20 trucks for the task below, 4-6 loads for backfill stemwall, then 30 or more loads to hide the septic mound and grade. The tractor won’t be used for the footers or pad work or trusses. Mostly initial land prep for yard, driveway, to backfill the stemwall once it is built, and general maintenance/cleanup. I am not planning to put any dirt on the house footprint because as Farmersfarmer pointed out we have to scrape away to virgin soil for the footers anyway. A 4 course stemwall is required and a septic. (I’m not installing septic either). Most of the build work will be subs, but I’ll be the overseeing GC.
I am a glorified bean counter (CPA), now. I started college in the Navy and finished with the GI Bill as soon as I got out. Thank you all for funding my degrees. I live in the city now and love every minute I get to pretend like I’m a farmer on the weekends out on the property. I’ll ake what I can get until house is built. I’ve already burned approximately three truck load equivalent of tree limbs and pine needles using a neighbors B2601 and grapple, but I feel like I need more lifting power and need to buy my own gear.

The task at hand is raking the topsoil, filling the void left by the missing six (18 yard) truckloads of rootballs with 6-10 loads of dirt, leveling out the topsoil with another 10 loads, grading a temporary 10’ x 100’ driveway and 30’ x 30’ parking area to place a big shipping container using crushed concrete/57stone, then seeding the property with temp grass so that it’s not a total mud pit once we start the build next year. I originally priced out the cost of hiring someone to do just this initial task and the price was $22-25k. Or I can “try” and do it myself for $7k in material and use the rest to pay down on a tractor. The one thing I don’t have is experience, and the thing I have a lot of is Time; at least I will after tax season. I like to learn and I’m not affraid of long hours and hard work. I appreciate the idea of buying a dozer but I’ve got my heart set on a tractor, just not sure what size/tire options. I appreciate you guys!!
Thanks for filling in the gaps. Incidentally, I specifically referred only to "renting" a dozer, not buying one. It would be insanity to purchase a dozer because it would serve no other purpose afterward, whereas a tractor could be useful for various chores. Just a couple of points before I leave the thread. As owner-builder, always make your draws to your subs subject to passage of inspection following corrections that may need to be made. Also, you can save money by managing your own materials to avoid the premium that is usually added but if you do contract with a sub that includes materials make absolutely certain that your contract with them requires notice from their material vendor that all bills are paid and tie that to their draws. You'll need proof because it is unfortunately a practice for certain sub-contractors like framers that are not required to be licensed to order up your materials package on credit and take a walk once they've received a draw. You'll be stuck with a lien unless you essentially satisfy the materials bill. Just a reminder that framing, drywall, concrete and masonry crews do not require licensing to perform their trades and they all come out of the woodwork, so to speak, when you let your project out for bid. Make certain to check with your architect, material suppliers and the building department for referrals. While they all have their favorites, they remain a good source for solid subcontractors that have a good performance and reliability history. It's also wise to perform your own take-off of the building plans or determine if the architect has a full material list that includes all finishes to have it shopped among material vendors. Establish a critical path and have your subs acknowledge it. Since you're building a single residence, you can unfortunately run into instances where larger projects can pull your subs away, so look to add a standard penalty clause for unreasonable delay or you could face interruption of work progress that will result in some subs having merit to leave until work necessary for them to proceed has been completed. As GC, you'll be responsible for your permit board and all required displays conspicuously posted for federal laws and protection that affect your job site, as well as dumpster service, worksite cleanup, temporary and permanent power, etc. that all lie outside the scope of your subcontractors. You've got quite a project ahead of you.

Aside from all of that, Kubota is the wisest choice for the right tractor package to have both during and after completion of your home. Best wishes.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Larger diameter tires, especially on the front, will ride smoother, give better traction, and make leveling your ground easier.

Water alone should be sufficient in Florida. It's all we used in north Miss. Remember, it doesn't freeze instantly at 32°. Maybe some corrosion inhibitor if you're going to leave it in long term.

You could take the water out of the tires and use it with a rear mower. My BIL is on his second mower with a little Ford 1520 (turf tires, but R14's should be ok) mowing their acre or so 30+ years.