lX2610 over the l2501

JimiCarpenter

Mar 27, 2021
Clayton Nc
Hello all first post here. We have been using a Farmall Super A, Cub and an Farmall M for years. This will be our first new tractor (very exciting) anyways, we kept going back and forth over the L2501 and the LX2610, after much debate we ordered the LX2610. Now I’m having second thoughts. The majority of our work will be grass cutting after initial geaneral clean up work and small personal gardening. What made us make up our mind was when we were working up the prices it was $300 to add cruise control to the 2501 and only $150 bu getting the 2610, the controls seamed a little more user friendly and the seat was better for a couple hours of cutting. We weren’t realizing at the time that the 2610 actually had a little less lifting capacity and weighs less. Did we make a mistake?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Only YOU can decide if you made a mistake. What kind of grass cutting do you do, lawn or field? The LX can support a belly mower. I bought my L2501 to pull a five foot rotary field mower. I felt the B series (the basis for the LX) was a bit small for my needs but may be perfect for yours. I did not opt for cruise because my terrain varies. I like the ability to set the PTO rpm with the throttle then vary ground speed via my HST transmission for smoother and rougher parts. I thought the B series a bit light for my mower.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You didn’t say what you were wanting to lift. The biggest difference in the lift is that the L2501 will lift approximately the same weight higher. The net is that it will do more at the LX max height. Neil Messick showed the two tractors side by side in a youtube video to demonstrate the lift differences.

I wanted the bigger heavier tractor because I didn’t want to use a belly mower. Also, I didn’t expect to need a midmount PTO for other purposes. Also, I expect the L with more displacement will likely have more torque for work.

There are several LX vs L threads here. I think you should probably read some of those. However, it’s pretty split between those that choose the LX and those who choose the L.

Reactions: 1 users

L2501dt

Jun 5, 2020
Connecticut
With my L2501dt there is no need for paying the extra for cruise control. The l2501 is perfect tractor for mowing. Set the rpms with the hand throttle pick a gear and put your feet up and relax

vanhanz

Equipment
Kubota L3301 HST, Hustler SD60, Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Aug 1, 2018
GA
I got the cruse control on my L3301 and I haven't used it at all, I used to do brush mowing on a field but I got it to the point where it only grows grass now so I use my zero turn for the field now. I was used to the cruise control type control baked into the GST transmission on my old tractor so I thought it was something I can't live without. Like others have said if you have HST just put the RPM's and gear in place and step on the pedal.

JimiCarpenter

Mar 27, 2021
Clayton Nc
So as far a picking up loads it will be used to move brush piles and the occasional cut down tree and gravel for our driveway . I cut 4 acres currently of yard that is mostly dandelions and crap grass which now that I’ll have a more reliable tractor I can improve the land and eventually have more grass than weeds. I ordered it with a grapple, 5’ bush hog and rear blade. I just sold my Farmalls and will use that money to add implements as I go forward. I went with the HST as I will be doing a lot of back and forth for the first year or two as we clean up many years of neglected land. Once I can get proper grass I think the belly mower option will be a good fit as well. But without ever owning or using a 3pt finish mower vs the belly mower I don’t know which might be the better option. Thanks for the replies. I can’t wait to take possession of our new machine!

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
When I bought mine in the fall, the big differentiator between the two was that the LX series had mid-mount pto to run a front snowblower (or mid mower). Given that, my last comparison before buying was the lx3310 and the Grand L4060. Price and size picked the LX for me. If I didn't have plans for the mid-mount PTO I would have definitely gone L3901.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I love my l2501, but hate useing the rear finish mower on my 2 acres so much I bought a older kubota bx with a belly mower and sold the finish mower.

I dont think you will have any issues moving yard stuff with the lx, but when you get past the 1000 pounds mark the l will beat the lx all day, that and the L is heavier so it can pull, drag more then the lx without spinning the wheels..

I would get a belly, or mid mount mower for the lx they are so much nicer to use then 3 point mower

The L is heavy, 3800 pounds with the loader, so on land that is wet it leaves ruts, the lx is lighter and has the option for the easier to remove loader to drop weight for mowing keeping the grass nicer

Last edited:

ThomasH

Equipment
LX2610HSDC BH77
May 26, 2020
Cheney, WA
when we were working up the prices it was $300 to add cruise control to the 2501 and only $150 bu getting the 2610,
You must be talking about the SU model (LX2610SUHSD)? The cruise control on the LX2610HSD LX2610HSDC is standard. Not sure if the optional cruise on the SU is the same design as the standard cruise on the non SU models.

IMO, if you are comparing the SU model to the L, I'd be leaning heavily toward the L. If it's not the SU model, then the mid pto, and some of the luxury items push me the other way. But that all depends on your needs.

For me the cab on the LX2610HSDC was the deciding factor.

ThomasH

Equipment
LX2610HSDC BH77
May 26, 2020
Cheney, WA
I love my l2501, but hate useing the rear finish mower on my 2 acres so much I bought a older kubota bx with a belly mower and sold the finish mower.

I dont think you will have any issues moving yard stuff with the lx, but when you get past the 1000 pounds mark the l will beat the lx all day, that and the L is heavier so it can pull, drag more then the lx without spinning the wheels..

I would get a belly, or mid mount mower for the lx they are so much nicer to use then 3 point mower

The L is heavy, 3800 pounds with the loader, so on land that is wet it leaves ruts, the lx is lighter and has the option for the easier to remove loader to drop weight for mowing keeping the grass nicer
I absolutely loved the idea of running a 72" belly mower on my LX2610HSDC, until I saw the price tag. I could buy a modest zero turn for the same price.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
You must be talking about the SU model (LX2610SUHSD)? The cruise control on the LX2610HSD LX2610HSDC is standard.
For the record, despite some early marketing materials to the contrary, cruise control is not standard on the ROPS models, just cab versions.

Last edited:

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I absolutely loved the idea of running a 72" belly mower on my LX2610HSDC, until I saw the price tag. I could buy a modest zero turn for the same price.
I have a modest zero turn, a scag liberty z.. its a great mower, but... with 58 hours on it in 2 years the sealed blade bearings and starting to howl.. it was about 4800 new

A belly mower pretty much can stay on the tractor, does not need engine maintenance, gasoline, hydraulic fluid and filter changes, or tires in years to come.. or battery replacement..

Just some things to think about.. a 70 inch used zero turn in good shape is 6k or so around here

ThomasH

Equipment
LX2610HSDC BH77
May 26, 2020
Cheney, WA
For the record, despite some early marketing materials to the contrary, cruise control is not standard on the ROPS models, just cab versions.
Interesting.

The brochure I got off of Kubotausa.com yesterday showed it was only optional on the SU model. Also, I just checked the “Build my Kubota” and the cruise control accessory is only offered on the SU model. The owner’s manual shows the speed control is standard on the ROPS model. To top it off, I just downloaded the spec sheet for the LX and it specifically calls out that cruise control is standard on the ROPS model. So, I’m not sure what early marketing materials you are referring to, as the current marketing materials still show it. So for the record, I think you are incorrect.

Also confirmed something I did not know for sure while I was looking. The cruise control mechanism on the ROPS model is different than the cab model. I’m pretty sure the the kit for the SU model is thesame as ROPS model.

JimiCarpenter

Mar 27, 2021
Clayton Nc
You must be talking about the SU model (LX2610SUHSD)? The cruise control on the LX2610HSD LX2610HSDC is standard. Not sure if the optional cruise on the SU is the same design as the standard cruise on the non SU models.

IMO, if you are comparing the SU model to the L, I'd be leaning heavily toward the L. If it's not the SU model, then the mid pto, and some of the luxury items push me the other way. But that all depends on your needs.

For me the cab on the LX2610HSDC was the deciding factor.
The model we ordered was the LX2610HSD. Now this could have been just a dealer ploy but I was told to add cruise to the 2501 it was $300. When he ran me the price for the LX2610HSD there was only $150 difference in total price. I think we are going to enjoy the 2610 better anyways. My wife loves cutting grass with our old farmalls and loves riding tractors as that’s how she grew up. So the fact that the controls on the 2610 are more ergonomic and she is much shorter than me the benefits of tilt steering and a comfortable seat were big pluses.

JimiCarpenter

Mar 27, 2021
Clayton Nc
So I’ve also been trying to search the forum but can’t find what I’m looking for. We have never owned a diesel anything and we’re a little nervous. I know diesel is very oily and “dirty” how are you guys refueling your tractors? Do I need special containers? The one disadvantage to the Kubota is the gas filler up on top. With the farmalls if you spilt a little gas on top no big deal just keep going. And do you constantly have to keep them full to avoid Condensation? Thank you all for the reply’s I really appreciate the info and guidance.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
My LX2610 ROPS came with cruise control. I never use it because I have no flat areas on my property but it's right next to the parking brake.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Interesting.

The brochure I got off of Kubotausa.com yesterday showed it was only optional on the SU model. Also, I just checked the “Build my Kubota” and the cruise control accessory is only offered on the SU model. The owner’s manual shows the speed control is standard on the ROPS model. To top it off, I just downloaded the spec sheet for the LX and it specifically calls out that cruise control is standard on the ROPS model. So, I’m not sure what early marketing materials you are referring to, as the current marketing materials still show it. So for the record, I think you are incorrect.

Also confirmed something I did not know for sure while I was looking. The cruise control mechanism on the ROPS model is different than the cab model. I’m pretty sure the the kit for the SU model is thesame as ROPS model.
My bad. I was thinking of the graduated speed control lever to the right side of the 3pt lever on cab models. As you said, there is a mechanical treadle lock lever down next to the parking break lock lever on the ROPS version.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
So I’ve also been trying to search the forum but can’t find what I’m looking for. We have never owned a diesel anything and we’re a little nervous. I know diesel is very oily and “dirty” how are you guys refueling your tractors? Do I need special containers? The one disadvantage to the Kubota is the gas filler up on top. With the farmalls if you spilt a little gas on top no big deal just keep going. And do you constantly have to keep them full to avoid Condensation? Thank you all for the reply’s I really appreciate the info and guidance.

Best thing you can do is get a gas caddy with a manual pump and 5 foot long hose like this one. , or the 5 gallon fuel can with a small electric transfer pump, they are cheap on Amazon but you get what you pay for

Attachments