LX2610 lower link arms Sway Bar/Stabilizer Pins

BozenBota

Equipment
LX2610; RCR1542, FDR1260, BSS54P, PFL1242, STB1072, MacKissick TPH123
Jan 9, 2022
Capital Region, NY
Hi All. I am seeking an alternative to the factory setup for the telescopic sway bar pins. The factory setup — if I’ve got my terminology right — uses clevis pins and hairpin cotters.

The small size of the cotters makes it difficult to grab without tools, especially with sweaty hands or wet steel. Plus you must do the operation to adjust essentially blind: the cotters and their holes are on the ground side of the bars, and I’ve always got the arms low when changing implements. (Maybe I’m just a wimp!) I’d rather not have the need for tools.

I’ve searched a bit the Google box and on this forum but haven’t found much in the way of options for this specific tractor. Closest thing is this:

There is also a setup shown in this video (1:06) that involves a keeper chain and cotterless clevis pin:

What are your experiences with alternatives to what comes from the factory? I love the telescoping bars — except for this little nit.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Can't remember who, but someone had a push in type pin with a thumb release that made me drool. Basically, push the release button with your thumb with the head of the pin between index and middle finger, bingo, it's out. They even gave me a link to them on either Fleabay or Amazon. I didn't get them immediately, so have long since lost the link. All I can suggest is a search. The telescoping stabilizers that come standard on the LX are now offered in mod kits for other models as well. I still remember the old chains that were on our old 8N. They kept the lift arms and attachment from hitting the rear tires, but that's about it. These are much better, if not a little more bothersome to use. I normally just take one loose when I'm changing attachments unless I put on my receiver hitch adapter. I didn't yet know the width difference in Class 0 and Class 1 attachments when I bought the adapter. I do now, and won't be forgetting it or making that mistake again.

I feel your pain about the tiny little hair-pin cotters. The thing I hate most about them is two pieces to lose if you forget to put one in and drive off, total of 4 pieces if you take both out to switch from Class 1 to Class 0 hitch hardware. I try to maintain the habit of putting them in the little plastic tool box after putting the cotter back in them, but forgot just the other day. Now I need a metal detector to see if I can find the top pocket bobby dazzler (the tiny hair pin cotter). Bought some spare hairpins at Tractor Supply until (if) I see it again, though.

Until you pick your solution, try a headlight spring hook to pull them, but be ready to catch them.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
2" Stainless steel M10 pins with spring-loaded ball bearing retainers at the end.

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Well, looks like B737 found it faster than I did. LOL. But that's the exact photo. Now, to get the reference/link for them .....

From the same conversation.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
McMaster Carr. Determine your pin diameter and length, and order cotterless pins.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Well, looks like B737 found it faster than I did. LOL. But that's the exact photo. Now, to get the reference/link for them .....

From the same conversation.
Ouches$$$$. A pair before taxes and shipping in CAD$ would be a $100+ hit.
Not there yet.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Reactions: 1 user

BozenBota

Equipment
LX2610; RCR1542, FDR1260, BSS54P, PFL1242, STB1072, MacKissick TPH123
Jan 9, 2022
Capital Region, NY
@Old_Paint - thank you for weighing in. I think I have a small spring puller like that somewhere — bought it to pull the 54” BX MMM deck and realized it wasn’t adequate. (It was replaced by a longer hook that took a long 2020 COVID USPS detour to arrive but now hopefully, minus the need with the FDR, I’ll find a use for.)

@B737 - Those pins seem like the right solution. Thank you for weighing in.

Thanks All for your suggestions. And the McMaster Carr referral — which I’m thinking, is dangerous. (Likely more dangerous to the bank account, anyway, than amazon.)

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
any M10 pin will do
Our Ford uses an L-shaped (bend is more like 60 deg) pin with a washer welded on to form a shoulder near the bend. They have a keeper chain in case they're dropped, but no snap or anything. We've never had one work out.

They could be made easily.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Agreed, replacing those keeper pins on the bottom of the original pins is a pain. Then one pin was lost after driving off with them laying on the floorboard. A short piece of light duty chain now keeps them both tied to the top rings on each lift arm. The homemade pin came from an old liftgate strut that happened to be the right diameter. There seems to be no need for the keeper rings on the bottom of the pins.....at least for my duties. It's going on 2 yrs this way and neither pins have popped out yet. And they're always at the end of the chains when changing 3 pt implements.
IMG_8129 (2).JPG IMG_8130 (2).JPG
A similar system still works great for my winter coat and gloves!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user