LX2610 buying help - HP question

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
I am looking at an LX2610 with a Cab and want to run a 1860 rotary cutter. I now this is a orange tractor site but the alternative is a JD 2038R. They are very close to the same price. Biggest differences are the Kubota has the cab, I live in MN and will use the tractor year round, but the JD has 38HP with a 30HP PTO vs the Kubota 26hp with 19 hp pto. I am leaning more towards kubota with the cab but I want to make sure I am not going to regret not going with the higher HP machine. Essentially choosing luxury over power. I do not want to go up to the L series and I was told to stay away from the 3310. Does anyone run the 1860 with a 2610? Do you wish you had more HP, does it bog down in tall grass or brush? Tractor will mostly be used for clearing out areas for food plots, acre or two at a time. Clearing trails, cleaning up around the farm etc. I am also looking at the 0660 grapple, pallet forks, ballast box, filled tires, loader / bucket, r14 tires, quick hitch, wheel spacers. Anyone have anything else I shouldn't be without? I appreciate any help.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I am looking at an LX2610 with a Cab and want to run a 1860 rotary cutter. I now this is a orange tractor site but the alternative is a JD 2038R. They are very close to the same price. Biggest differences are the Kubota has the cab, I live in MN and will use the tractor year round, but the JD has 38HP with a 30HP PTO vs the Kubota 26hp with 19 hp pto. I am leaning more towards kubota with the cab but I want to make sure I am not going to regret not going with the higher HP machine. Essentially choosing luxury over power. I do not want to go up to the L series and I was told to stay away from the 3310. Does anyone run the 1860 with a 2610? Do you wish you had more HP, does it bog down in tall grass or brush? Tractor will mostly be used for clearing out areas for food plots, acre or two at a time. Clearing trails, cleaning up around the farm etc. I am also looking at the 0660 grapple, pallet forks, ballast box, filled tires, loader / bucket, r14 tires, quick hitch, wheel spacers. Anyone have anything else I shouldn't be without? I appreciate any help.
The old rule of thumb is 1’ of rotary cutter width per 5 pto hp. I know that some people run 5’ cutters with 20 pto hp tractors and probably have no problem with cutting grass or light material. But the rule of thumb would suggest a 4’ cutter for the 2610.

Reactions: 1 user

Ogarret

Mar 20, 2022
South Carolina
As an owner of a high horsepower cab John Deere and a low horse power oos Kubota tractor I have some thoughts. I don’t think you can really go wrong with either. Both of the options you mention are great tractors. I would probably go with the lx2610 if I was you. It is hard to beat a cab, especially bush hogging when it is hot and dusty. You will bog down occasionally and the 2038r would run a cutter better but I run a Bush Hog BH4 behind my Kubota B2601 which also has 19 pto hp and it handles fine. If you don’t have tons of cutting to do I’d go with a 4 foot cutter. Requires less pto hp to get those blades spinning and is lighter behind the tractor. Just my thoughts but thought I would share. Another big plus to the LX2610 is not having to deal with any emissions equipment. Good luck on whichever you choose!

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
The B3350 is the problem child. I am days away from trading my LX2610 for a LX3310 primarly because of pto hp. I picked up a 84" rear finish mower last fall and the LX2610 could handle it on flat ground but I would have to slow down on the slightest rise. The 2610 will probably handle the 1860 but at a slower pace.

Reactions: 1 users

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have a 2610 with a cab, spacers, etc. It handles everything I throw at it. I have a 60” brush hog and I’ve mowed some tall grass with it. I just have to control the speed.

As long as you aren’t trying to mow 5’ high grass, you should be fine.

The cab is great. Every time I use my tractor, I’m glad I got the cab. It makes everything much more enjoyable.

I am also clearing land with it. Ripping out barberry and Russian olives. I have an Everything Attachements wickeder grapple. It’s worth the wait.

Attachments

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
As an owner of a high horsepower cab John Deere and a low horse power oos Kubota tractor I have some thoughts. I don’t think you can really go wrong with either. Both of the options you mention are great tractors. I would probably go with the lx2610 if I was you. It is hard to beat a cab, especially bush hogging when it is hot and dusty. You will bog down occasionally and the 2038r would run a cutter better but I run a Bush Hog BH4 behind my Kubota B2601 which also has 19 pto hp and it handles fine. If you don’t have tons of cutting to do I’d go with a 4 foot cutter. Requires less pto hp to get those blades spinning and is lighter behind the tractor. Just my thoughts but thought I would share. Another big plus to the LX2610 is not having to deal with any emissions equipment. Good luck on whichever you choose!
I appreciate your feedback. I didn't think I wanted a cab until I got to test one out, then the more I thought about it the more I wanted one. I still just don't want to regret not getting the higher HP. I realize the 2610 would not cut as fast as the 2038 but as long as it cuts I would be fine. I guess I'm thinking the cab is better money spent then the HP that I will only be using now and then. Thanks again for your help.

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
The B3350 is the problem child. I am days away from trading my LX2610 for a LX3310 primarly because of pto hp. I picked up a 84" rear finish mower last fall and the LX2610 could handle it on flat ground but I would have to slow down on the slightest rise. The 2610 will probably handle the 1860 but at a slower pace.
I read about the 3350 issues. If I go up to the 3310 I am again increasing the price and I have to draw the line somewhere. Thanks for the feedback.

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
I have a 2610 with a cab, spacers, etc. It handles everything I throw at it. I have a 60” brush hog and I’ve mowed some tall grass with it. I just have to control the speed.

As long as you aren’t trying to mow 5’ high grass, you should be fine.

The cab is great. Every time I use my tractor, I’m glad I got the cab. It makes everything much more enjoyable.

I am also clearing land with it. Ripping out barberry and Russian olives. I have an Everything Attachements wickeder grapple. It’s worth the wait.
I'll have to look into that grapple. Thank you for your feedback. Your guys are selling going cab is the way to go.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
could not have said it better myself ^^^

If you want the best of both worlds, +$4000 will get you the added HP you are looking for in 3310, only you can determine if the HP is worth it. I had a B2601 which is equivalent HP to LX2610 (engine and PTO). I ran a 48" brush hog on it (RCR1548). It was a slow go in really overgrown thick grasses (pastures), but it did fine. I know a member here who runs 60" on B2650 (~LX2610) also without trouble.

Having moved to an LX3310 I run a 60" cutter now, I can certainly tell the difference in PTO HP compared to running my old 48" on the 2601, and I can really tell the difference when using the tiller.

I switched from the B2601 to the LX3310 for reasons other than HP. I was not expecting to see any gains with such an incremental increase, but it is quite perceptible, having the additional HP at the PTO is one of the things I have come to like most about the 3310.

@S-G-R said it most concisely, I think it would be fine but you may have to take your time.

Last edited:

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Get at least one set of rear remotes. Two would be better as you can get a TnT installed

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
When I bought my lx2610, the dealer sold me a RC1260 to go with it. I haven't had a chance to use it yet to see how it goes. I will primarily be using it to keep a walking path around fields that are already cut and maintained by a local farmer for hay.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have an LX 2610 SU, and I have had no issues running the RCR 1860 for more than a year. I cut ~6 acres of rolling fields three days ago. It took less than 4 hours; the fields are irregularly shaped making the process take more time. This time I was just cutting grass. When I cut the 4 acre field in the winter, it took over 3 hours. I was mowing down 3 foot high weeds and briar patches. I had to stop at least 6 times to blow chaff off the grill and radiator with a leaf blower.

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
60" Woods brush hog hasn't been an issue for my LX2610 cutting 3-4 foot tall grass plus briars and saplings up to about an inch in diameter. Before I got the 2610, I'd used my neighbor's 2038R with a similar brush hog to cut the same area; I didn't notice an appreciable difference. No doubt you'll notice the difference between sitting in a nice heated cab and freezing your dingle-berries off on the 2038 though. The 3310 with a cab, really is the best of both though.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am very biased towards orange. Technical specs are obviously important, but so is service after sale unless you plan to do your yourself. I also have an awesome dealer. I’d recommend you think about which dealer you rather do business with especially if you need service. Back to the technical specs, if you value quality/construction are a for you (if just mowing maybe no issue) I’d encourage you to look at the frame, axle housing and the enclosed hub for the wheel on both machines before you decide. Maybe also consider about future implements and compatibility of kubota to everything for SSQA or the compatibility to JD and their loader. I think that is a future consideration based on how you think you might use or add implements. Regarding the HP, I have no experience with your model (or the specific JD you referenced) but I had a BX 2360 and now a B2650. The B is great. I actually used for light brush hogging of saplings, a lot (w/ a MMM…yes I know that is not what it is for but that is what I had)before I had an MX. it’s awesome. That being said it did great. Tall wet grass will bog it down, that just means you will learn to love HST and ability to go as slow as you like. Just my thoughts. Personally if using for tall wet grass, I think a B would be on the lower end of HP requirements. However I think it is a better built machine though…that’s just me. My dealer steered me clear of the 3350 because of the emissions issues. I am glad they did. If you control your speed it should be fine. If using the 3pt and PTO to mow, any particular reason you are against the L? A small L is maybe best value for dollar for the lineup with orange? (Or several years ago it was). Generally If comparing a 26hp and a 38hp there a bit of a gap there. Just my thoughts.

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
could not have said it better myself ^^^

If you want the best of both worlds, +$4000 will get you the added HP you are looking for in 3310, only you can determine if the HP is worth it. I had a B2601 which is equivalent HP to LX2610 (engine and PTO). I ran a 48" brush hog on it (RCR1548). It was a slow go in really overgrown thick grasses (pastures), but it did fine. I know a member here who runs 60" on B2650 (~LX2610) also without trouble.

Having moved to an LX3310 I run a 60" cutter now, I can certainly tell the difference in PTO HP compared to running my old 48" on the 2601, and I can really tell the difference when using the tiller.

I switched from the B2601 to the LX3310 for reasons other than HP. I was not expecting to see any gains with such an incremental increase, but it is quite perceptible, having the additional HP at the PTO is one of the things I have come to like most about the 3310.

@S-G-R said it most concisely, I think it would be fine but you may have to take your time.
That seems to be the general consensus, just have to go a bit slower. Realistically speaking I am not going to be using the cutter day in and day out and don't have large fields I need to do with this rig. Maybe 1/2 to 1 acre plots spread out over the property. I am thinking the added $4000 could be spent on other items. Thank you for your response.

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
When I bought my lx2610, the dealer sold me a RC1260 to go with it. I haven't had a chance to use it yet to see how it goes. I will primarily be using it to keep a walking path around fields that are already cut and maintained by a local farmer for hay.
That's funny, I pretty much have the same exact scenario. We have 40+ acres of hay fields with paths around etc but a local farmer hays them. I was actually using my cub cadet rider for mowing the trails. I have some small areas that were pasture that have grown in I want to turn into food plots. I also have a 40 that was logged 4-5 years ago I want to do some clean up on. Thank you for your reply.

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
I have an LX 2610 SU, and I have had no issues running the RCR 1860 for more than a year. I cut ~6 acres of rolling fields three days ago. It took less than 4 hours; the fields are irregularly shaped making the process take more time. This time I was just cutting grass. When I cut the 4 acre field in the winter, it took over 3 hours. I was mowing down 3 foot high weeds and briar patches. I had to stop at least 6 times to blow chaff off the grill and radiator with a leaf blower.
This is great to know thank you. Sounds like you gave it work out. Honestly, I would not be looking to do anywhere near 6 acres at a time. Good to know it works well.

Fly5guy

Apr 14, 2022
60" Woods brush hog hasn't been an issue for my LX2610 cutting 3-4 foot tall grass plus briars and saplings up to about an inch in diameter. Before I got the 2610, I'd used my neighbor's 2038R with a similar brush hog to cut the same area; I didn't notice an appreciable difference. No doubt you'll notice the difference between sitting in a nice heated cab and freezing your dingle-berries off on the 2038 though. The 3310 with a cab, really is the best of both though.
This is why forums are awesome. Pretty much exactly what I'm pondering, someone else has done it or experienced it. Thanks

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
This is why forums are awesome. Pretty much exactly what I'm pondering, someone else has done it or experienced it. Thanks
To be fair, my property is pretty flat, so might be different in different terrain.