LX2610 60" MMM Noise...help?

Bdubz

Equipment
LX2610, 60"MMM, FEL, Grapple, Box Blade, Tiller, Moldboard Plow, 5' Snow Plow
May 18, 2022
Western New York
Hi all!

Long time "lurker" first time poster...

I bought an LX2610 with 60' MMM last fall upgrading from my BX. Didn't have much time to try the mower until this Spring. Cuts great...BUT...it makes a lot of additional noise when running and lowered to cutting height. The noise is like an uneven whirring/not quite a grinding noise. If I cut tall grass and the deck is under full load, the noise stops. If I raise the deck while mowing to about half height, it stops also.

Dealer has had it twice, checked all fittings, greased everything, oil in the gearbox, etc. They DO hear the sound but can't figure it out. Their current answer is to let it wear in (mowed about 5 hours so far) and that it's under warranty.

My thought is that it is related to the pto shaft since the noise comes on as the angle of the shaft gets steeper...?

Deck is set to mow at 2.5" and I drop it to the ground as it is supposed to ride on its wheels rather than be suspended.

It works, cuts well, but the noise is driving me crazy... like nails on a chalkboard. Over $3500 for a deck that sounds like this is heartbreaking.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all!

Long time "lurker" first time poster...

I bought an LX2610 with 60' MMM last fall upgrading from my BX. Didn't have much time to try the mower until this Spring. Cuts great...BUT...it makes a lot of additional noise when running and lowered to cutting height. The noise is like an uneven whirring/not quite a grinding noise. If I cut tall grass and the deck is under full load, the noise stops. If I raise the deck while mowing to about half height, it stops also.

Dealer has had it twice, checked all fittings, greased everything, oil in the gearbox, etc. They DO hear the sound but can't figure it out. Their current answer is to let it wear in (mowed about 5 hours so far) and that it's under warranty.

My thought is that it is related to the pto shaft since the noise comes on as the angle of the shaft gets steeper...?

Deck is set to mow at 2.5" and I drop it to the ground as it is supposed to ride on its wheels rather than be suspended.

It works, cuts well, but the noise is driving me crazy... like nails on a chalkboard. Over $3500 for a deck that sounds like this is heartbreaking.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian
I have a similar 60" deck on my B1750 and the 72" version for my B3350. No unexpected noises.

Have you or anyone else inspected the U joints in the PTO shaft and verified that they have been greased and taken grease?

Bdubz

Equipment
May 18, 2022
Western New York
I have a similar 60" deck on my B1750 and the 72" version for my B3350. No unexpected noises.

Have you or anyone else inspected the U joints in the PTO shaft and verified that they have been greased and taken grease?
Yes, me, dealer, and an experienced mechanic friend of mine. No slop or play in the uni joints, greased, etc. Still no resolution.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My first thought was the PTO shaft ..........

I too have a similar problem on a MMM.

I am letting my oldest son use one of my B7100 with MMM .......... everything works great.

I had to cut his grass a week ago and everything was good - got into a patch of tall grass, and all of sudden is "sounded" like a "garbage bag" has been sucked under! I slowed down and it went away..... sped up and it returned........... once out of tall grass there was no noise.

I looked up under and there was a small piece of "tarp" my son hit and got stuck on the blades. I removed that and said - that was easy!

HOWEVER - it will still make a noise when hitting a thicker portion of grass.

I took the cover off to see if the belt was slipping - nope - shooting grass out like always.

I am wondering IF somehow the belt, which looks fine is slipping on the middle pulley. I have not had time to take deck off - as D2Cat and I have laughed at, it is a royal PITA to take the deck off a B7100.

The sound is a fluttering sound, just like a plastic bag caught in the blades ......... deck is clear as a whistle too.

jrsavoie

Equipment
2022 LX2610, 1963 JD4010, 1975 Ford backhoe, 1996 Toro 223D, 1999 Toro Groun325D
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
The driveshaft is awfully steep on these.

From what I see the deck hanging, removal and installation is a piss poor design.
The deck should be 2" forward which would allow for decent clearance to the tires for when having the deck pinned for 3 point use.

It would also flatten the driveshaft a tiny. Possibly enough to eliminate your noise. The drive shaft would possibly/ probably need to be lengthened to move the deck forward 2".

Have you marked and checked the drive shaft, to see how distance is used and available on the slip slide?

I am very disgusted with the whole LX2610 right now.
Very serious buyers remorse.

Bdubz

Equipment
May 18, 2022
Western New York
I had not thought about the length of the PTO splines to see if there is enough "overlap" when extended/deck fully dropped...I'll have to look.

Agreed on the distance of the MMM from the rear tires...the deck gets covered with anything and everything that the rear tires pick up with the least amount of moisture....stones, grass, gravel from the drive, etc.

Other than that, I've found the LX to be great after trading my BX...but...this mower noise is going to drive me to drink...more lol

jrsavoie

Equipment
2022 LX2610, 1963 JD4010, 1975 Ford backhoe, 1996 Toro 223D, 1999 Toro Groun325D
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
I had not thought about the length of the PTO splines to see if there is enough "overlap" when extended/deck fully dropped...I'll have to look.

Agreed on the distance of the MMM from the rear tires...the deck gets covered with anything and everything that the rear tires pick up with the least amount of moisture....stones, grass, gravel from the drive, etc.

Other than that, I've found the LX to be great after trading my BX...buth...this mower noise is going to drive me to drink...more lol
How is your machine for jerkiness?
Our forward, reverse and loader are dangerously jerky.

I just talked to a friend, that also just bought the same machine and said the same thing.
The couple times I have moved this machine, I was scared my wife would get hurt. She is used to me on other pieces of equipment and way too trusting.

Bdubz

Equipment
May 18, 2022
Western New York
How is your machine for jerkiness?
Our forward, reverse and loader are dangerously jerky.

I just talked to a friend, that also just bought the same machine and said the same thing.
The couple times I have moved this machine, I was scared my wife would get hurt. She is used to me on other pieces of equipment and way too trusting.
Forward and reverse have been fine...very similar to my BX before.

FEL movement is quite different but I've gotten used to it after putting in a new driveway so I think for me, at least, it was just getting used to this particular loader/valve/joystick being much longer "throw" than on my BX.

Bdubz

Equipment
May 18, 2022
Western New York
Any other LX2610 users with insight on my noise issues?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My first thought was the PTO shaft ..........

I too have a similar problem on a MMM.

I am letting my oldest son use one of my B7100 with MMM .......... everything works great.

I had to cut his grass a week ago and everything was good - got into a patch of tall grass, and all of sudden is "sounded" like a "garbage bag" has been sucked under! I slowed down and it went away..... sped up and it returned........... once out of tall grass there was no noise.

I looked up under and there was a small piece of "tarp" my son hit and got stuck on the blades. I removed that and said - that was easy!

HOWEVER - it will still make a noise when hitting a thicker portion of grass.

I took the cover off to see if the belt was slipping - nope - shooting grass out like always.

I am wondering IF somehow the belt, which looks fine is slipping on the middle pulley. I have not had time to take deck off - as D2Cat and I have laughed at, it is a royal PITA to take the deck off a B7100.

The sound is a fluttering sound, just like a plastic bag caught in the blades ......... deck is clear as a whistle too.
Could be the spring loaded tensioner pulley vibrating due to broken cords in the belt.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'd start with rotating the blades. Move them to a different spindle and see if that takes care of it. But, I'd have to agree with SDT's mention above about the tensioner. Try moving the spring to a different tension limit.

Bdubz

Equipment
May 18, 2022
Western New York
I just tried mine. Lifted it all the way up and then dropped it. I didn't hear anything different as it dropped
Thanks for checking. I'm going to ask the dealer to replace the PTO shaft as a start...then the gearbox if that doesn't do it

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'd start with rotating the blades. Move them to a different spindle and see if that takes care of it. But, I'd have to agree with SDT's mention above about the tensioner. Try moving the spring to a different tension limit.
Not sure about OP's deck but the MMM decks on my B1750 and B3350 have only a single tensioner adjustment hole.

The idler will indeed resonate if cords are broken in an otherwise visually good belt.

BTDT.

Bdubz

Equipment
May 18, 2022
Western New York
Not sure about OP's deck but the MMM decks on my B1750 and B3350 have only a single tensioner adjustment hole.

The idler will indeed resonate if cords are broken in an otherwise visually good belt.

BTDT.
So...this is a deck with all of FIVE...5....hours on it. Can any of those adjustments/etc really make the difference? I'm sooo frustrated with this deck. The noise clearly comes from above the deck...gearbox/pto shaft area.

dkelley360

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 16, 2022
Michigan
So...this is a deck with all of FIVE...5....hours on it. Can any of those adjustments/etc really make the difference? I'm sooo frustrated with this deck. The noise clearly comes from above the deck...gearbox/pto shaft area.
I took a video of mine. Once I get it in a vip file I'll upload it for you to listen too.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If it’s really as bad as mentioned…honestly I’d ask them to to let you try another one…just a try…if it doesn’t have same problem ask them to fix it or replace it. Dealer should be able to work back through Kubota to make it right. Just my thought.

Bdubz

Equipment
May 18, 2022
Western New York
If it’s really as bad as mentioned…honestly I’d ask them to to let you try another one…just a try…if it doesn’t have same problem ask them to fix it or replace it. Dealer should be able to work back through Kubota to make it right. Just my thought.
Yes, I agree. The problem is they do not have others currently in stock to try. I asked about that and at least swapping out the PTO shaft but they don't have a spare of those either. The dealer is willing to help, but I thought I'd try to gather some insight here as well...which I am and am very thankful for everyone's input!