LX2610 50 hour maint filter question

DS_LX2610

Equipment
KB2510 with loader, bucket, fork lift, and residential snow blower
Nov 9, 2021
Big Fork, MN 56628
I just finished changing my oil and filter and all went good. My Kubota dealer also gave me two other filters and fluid. One says HST on it and the other says suction filter. Other than oil, the only fluid I received is Super universal trans-hydraulic fluid (UDT2).

The manual is confusing in regards to changing these filters and the few YouTube videos look like when you change them hydraulic fluid comes out but. I also see these filters referenced in the manual as transmission filter. Does Kubota consider "transmission" the same as "hydraulic"?

I only see two filters under the tractor (outside of the oil one I already changed) so I am assuming that these HST and suction filters are the correct ones but not 100% sure.

Lastly, the only dipstick (small round yellow handle) and filler that I see referenced in the manual are in back by the three point hookup. Is that the correct area for toping off fluid after changing these filters?

Can anybody confirm the two filters and the transmission vs hydraulic question?

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The HST does use the same hydraulic fluid as the rest of the system. The main hydraulic filter provides most of the filtration but I believe due to the tighter tolerances of that transmission the HST filter provides extra cleaning for the oil used in the transmission. Look carefully, the two filters are not the same physical size - you can't mix them up. Beware, when you pull either the hydraulic fluid will escape quickly and there is a LOT of it!! If you're fully prepared for the swap you may only lose a quart or so with each filter. I'm a bit slow so for added insurance I attach my shop vac to the filler hole to counteract atmospheric pressure and better keep the fluid in the tractor. On the L series it's a one inch NPT thread behind the seat. You might have to read your manual to learn about fill point on the LX. My fill cap is read and there is no dipstick on my L series, it uses a sight glass.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Filter on driver's side is HST one. Filter on passenger side ( facing frontwards) is the suction filter. Yes the yellow " stick" is the dipstick. Fill point is rubber plug top of trans right behind seat. It just pushes in the hole.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Suction filter = hydraulic system filter? Not to thread jack, just learning.
Yes, suction or sump filter is the main hydraulic filter.

The HST or transmission filter on left side facing forward gets replaced at 50 hours, as does engine oil and filter, then all at 200 hours and every 200 after that.

The suction filter is also replaced at 50 hours, then at 400 hours along with the hydraulic oil, and both every 400 after that.

I was prepared and quick when swapping in the new hydraulic and HST filters at 50 hours and only 1 or 2 liters of fluid escaped before the new ones spun on. I had bought a gallon jug of hydraulic oil just in case, was plenty.

Caught the oil in a nice clean catch tray, too, which at least helped see any contamination issues from the escaped oil. Looked really good to me at the time.

Actually doing the 1000 hour service on my B2650 tomorrow morning. Time to do the hst filter quick-spin!

Reactions: 1 users

DS_LX2610

Equipment
KB2510 with loader, bucket, fork lift, and residential snow blower
Nov 9, 2021
Big Fork, MN 56628
Thanks to all who responded. You answered my questions. I love this site as it is a great way to get help when we encounter issues with our orange tractors.

Reactions: 1 user

livefreeordie

Jan 30, 2022
NH
I'm a bit slow so for added insurance I attach my shop vac to the filler hole to counteract atmospheric pressure and better keep the fluid in the tractor.
I just did the 50hr service on my LX2610, and I tried the shop vac trick that you and some other people have described. I had my shopvac tied to a stepladder, and a straight vertical tube that my son was holding against the fill port at the back, to try to have gravity on my side to prevent the fluid from going into the vac.

Well, long story short, almost no fluid came out down below, as I swapped the filters. I thought it was all going beautifully!

At the end, though, I looked in the vac, and there was about a quart in there.

Still better that losing most of my fluid, but not as magical as I was hoping for, as now the vac is all greasy (which I guess doesn't really matter).